Thread: Supercharged/Intercooled Guys Step in please

Supercharged/Intercooled Guys Step in please

We've just finished up on a Twin Screw 5.3L Truck. Its got a blow through water to air intercooler with a front mount heat exchanger. The IATs are higher than I expected (Getting up to 175* on a 0-100 pull).

What kind of intake temperatures are you guys seeing on your set-ups? I suppose boost level and compressor type is also important to note.

I am Wondering if the system has air trapped in it, or if these temps are normal.

Thanks!

I hit 170+ on my twin turbo Z06 if I'm in boost for a long time. I see 170 all the time on other FI setups.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Great! Thanks for the info. Do you still have it pulling timing in the iat timing retard tables?

Not related. Does anyone have an opinion on what's considered a safe boost limit on the gen 4 stock bottom end? (this particular vehicle is a steel block 5.3)

You bet it still pulls timing. I modified the timing table so it doesn't pull as much. I don't get any knock even at 170.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Senior Tuner
    Put a cooling tank in the rear that runs to your liquid intercooler. Some just fill with ice. The Mercedes guys are getting excellent results from these trunk tanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMD4L1Q3c9M

In my car I upgraded my factory heat exchanger, added a front mount heat exchanger, and upgraded my stock intercooler pump and that helped alot. I went with a 29gpm pump (the stock was the Bosch 8gpm). My IAT2's dropped 20-30* at WOT (we have 4 of the sh*tty Laminova cores, not a heater core style) but the biggest improvement was the time it took to get back to normal operating temps. I now get back to them within 30 seconds of letting go of the throttle. As soon as I let off the throttle I can watch them drop. At 11psi my IAT2 is 140-150* with ambient temps 105* and IAT of 107*. But I can log IAT and IAT2.

Some of the 09+ CTS-V guys have upgraded their pump and heat exchanger and dropped their IAT2 up to 50*
    Last edited by PGA2B; 09-01-2011 at 07:19 PM.
    2013 OBM A6 CTS-V Coupe
    Mods: Headers back Billy Boat Exhaust, GripTec 2.65, 8.6 PowerBond Lower, LSX Innovations Solid Isolator, ID850's, NGK TR7IX's, Accel 9070CK Wires, Spectre CAI, SRI Ported Throttle Body, SRI Catch Can, NGK AFRM, 160* T-Stat, 0fx2gv Brick, Hard Line Delete W/3/4" Lines, FB 101 FMIC, Pierberg CWA50, Stoptech Drilled/Slotted Rotors, EBC Redstuff, Cut Stock Springs, Flat Bottom Steering Wheel
    2006 Black Raven STS-V (Traded In)
    Fully Modded: 459RWHP@5888rpm/451lbft@4696rpm

Advanced Tuner
    my iats get up to about 140, then start to drop after 100mph
    Last edited by carlrx7; 09-01-2011 at 07:55 PM.

Make sure you have good flow and smooth plumbing for the intercooler system. If you have the lines going up and down to get around the rad/grill area it can effect the flow. Seen that a few times on some GM trucks we do, higher than normal IAT's and slow fluid flow back to the reservoir. Also, mount the biggest reservoir you can as high as you can in the engine bay, and the pump as low as possible. The gravity pressure helps a ton with pump flow.
    Last edited by Sherminator; 09-02-2011 at 07:26 PM.
    2001 Z06 - 417 LS3 - LPE CNC LS3 heads - LPE GT-11 cam - ARH 1 7/8" - LPE C6 intake - RPM 3.73 diff - tuned with HP Tuners
    2008 Silverado 5.3 - Dynatech LT headers - Volant Cool Air intake - 280whp/303wtq - tuned with HP Tuners

www.davenportmotorsports.com

Senior Tuner
    Take a look at what the Mercedes guys are doing with a trunk tank and Rule pump.

http://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/4...low-combo.html

Quote Originally Posted by PGA2B View Post
    In my car I upgraded my factory heat exchanger, added a front mount heat exchanger, and upgraded my stock intercooler pump and that helped alot. I went with a 29gpm pump (the stock was the Bosch 8gpm). My IAT2's dropped 20-30* at WOT (we have 4 of the sh*tty Laminova cores, not a heater core style) but the biggest improvement was the time it took to get back to normal operating temps. I now get back to them within 30 seconds of letting go of the throttle. As soon as I let off the throttle I can watch them drop. At 11psi my IAT2 is 140-150* with ambient temps 105* and IAT of 107*. But I can log IAT and IAT2.

Some of the 09+ CTS-V guys have upgraded their pump and heat exchanger and dropped their IAT2 up to 50*
    The pump that came with our kit is a 6.5 gpm pump, so that could definitely be improved. Do you mind sharing what pump you're using now?

Quote Originally Posted by Sherminator View Post
    Make sure you have good flow and smooth plumbing for the intercooler system. If you have the lines going up and down to get around the rad/grill area it can effect the flow. Seen that a few times on some GM trucks we do, higher than normal IAT's and slow fluid flow back to the reservoir. Also, mount the biggest reservoir you can as high as you can in the engine bay, and the pump as low as possible. The gravity pressure helps a ton with pump flow.
    Good Info, Thanks. Right now our pump is only a few inches below the level of our reservoir.