Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New found power/fun

New found power/fun

Had a nitrous kit laying around for a while so i decided to give it a whirl. I have everything for a wet shot and dry shot but i wanted to test a dry first just to see how the car would respond. WOW these motors come to life when you give them a little n20!!!

I had a cheap autozone filter laying in the garage, the cone style that has the indention in the tip to i tapped it and ran my nozzle there. started out with a .21 jet cause i was scared at first... yea yea. it was equivelant to like a 20hp shot give or take. You could feel a difference, but it wasnt enough. Went to a .32 and made a few pulls. You could feel quite a bit more but still wasnt satisfied, so i threw a .44 pill in and WHOOO! its about a 50hp equivelant almost. My God the car feels like you just tuned it for the first time all over again! I wired it in with a WOT pedal switch and toggle by the shifter. I would start a pull nailing it around 65 then flipping the switch when I cought traction only to lose it again until about 80mph. The power is sooo smooth and consistant.

It was really easy to tune for as well. It is going through the MAF and both maps so it would be like bolting on a bigger turbo in a way. I have had a boost turd since the day i got my car so VE has always been about 28lb/min. Now i see about 31 consistantly! whoo lol. thats normal for other LNFs on E. I backed the fuel table down to .86 to start teesting just to be sure that i wouldnt lean out on the initial hit. after dialing that in i leaned it out .1 at a time to .89. It feels ALOT stronger here but I dont want to go any leaner than that. I was hoping to use the IAT table to retard timing but it doesnt get enough temp drop to make it efficient and safe. Iats stay steady during the enitre pull sometimes going up 1-2* and its 96* out side temp here.

For the fun part. I went out to a meet and on the way home made a few highway runs. ran a 2k10 SS camaro with "unkown mods could hear exhaust" from about 70 and let out at the end of third gear cause i had already pulled 4-5 links lol that was only a 35mph run. Had a equally bolted and tuned speed 3 that I knew come up and the results were worse for him. Tried a 60-100 pull but ended up boiling the tires anywhere below 70 so i tried rolling into it fast and nailing it at 75. Netted a 4.8 starting the clock at 60mph.

The bad: last pull I tried to get a good 60 to 100 time to post up in a log but the car spun so hard the throttle body ghost came in. Usually its only on wet roads that i have it happen, but anyways the car spiked 27psi "out of nowhere" and shut the throttle. I guess it was faster than the turbo could respond so boost built and spiked over 30psi and blew a hole in the lower charge pipe.... Still stock by the way.. I cant believe it would blow somewhere other than where i have the jerry rigged Meth nozzle tapped and bolted in. i fished a nut on the inside of the pipe for the nozzle and tightened it then pressure tested it to be sure it wasnt leaking... i know i know that is pretty stupid and cheap on my part but I didnt feel like forking out $220 bucks to ZZP at the time... Guess i have to now lol
    HP-Unlimited Tuning and Custom Fabrication
    Houston area performance parts dealer
    MD800 Mustang Dyno 713-560-3889 Taylor
    2016 Camaro A8 "shop car" FIRST 6th GEN CAMARO OVER 200mph IN THE MILE 203.5mph

You should move that nitrous closer to the throttle body where its suppose to be. On the throttle body for the lsj they say you have to run a curtain resistor so you don't kill the throttle body. Also how much pressures on your bottle.
    Last edited by laser_racer; 08-21-2011 at 08:02 AM.

Tuner in Training
    ok two power adders? Now you're just plain being greedy. sincerely your friendly LE5 neighbor.
    2006 Pontiac solstice L2.4 LE5 LSJ Throttle body (larger), AEM CAIntake, Cat Delete, Newb tuner

Tuner
    Big fun my friend lol

Thanks,
    Mr. 2008 SS
    E-Fans*160 Stat*K@N Filter* FlowMaster Catback Duals*HP Tuned By Me USA

Advanced Tuner
    ahh spray is fun

I think your underestimating your shot though I think you played with a 35 shot up to very close to a 100 shot with those jet sizes... 75hp + on that

a guy on my fwd regal forum just went 11.92 on a .062 jet , $400 car , $400 in mods including used nitrous kit , used dr's , lots of weight reduction 11's for $800 total investment lol
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

The ring lands are screaming "HELP ME!" now. lol.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

Quote Originally Posted by wrickm View Post
    ok two power adders? Now you're just plain being greedy. sincerely your friendly LE5 neighbor.
    well 4 if you really count lol. Meth, E85, nitrous, and turbo...

Quote Originally Posted by murphinator View Post
    ahh spray is fun

I think your underestimating your shot though I think you played with a 35 shot up to very close to a 100 shot with those jet sizes... 75hp + on that

a guy on my fwd regal forum just went 11.92 on a .062 jet , $400 car , $400 in mods including used nitrous kit , used dr's , lots of weight reduction 11's for $800 total investment lol
    Yea it may or may not be, I want to take it to a dyno and do a spray and no spray run to see what happens..

Quote Originally Posted by Iam Broke View Post
    The ring lands are screaming "HELP ME!" now. lol.
    Haha yea i bet! Well maybe not its getting plenty of cooling effect with the meth and E.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet08 View Post
    well 4 if you really count lol. Meth, E85, nitrous, and turbo...
    oh you think you're sooo special

Might try a wet nitrous shot once i get the LE5 maxed out. I still have a couple things left to do before that though.
    2006 Pontiac solstice L2.4 LE5 LSJ Throttle body (larger), AEM CAIntake, Cat Delete, Newb tuner

Haha yea i bet! Well maybe not its getting plenty of cooling effect with the meth and E.
    It's way more pressure then heat. High timing high boost and nitrous sounds like my dsm lol.

Power = heat. Just because you are spraying, you are still making >100 hp/cylinder on a little 2 liter engine. Just sayin'.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

Quote Originally Posted by Iam Broke View Post
    Power = heat. Just because you are spraying, you are still making >100 hp/cylinder on a little 2 liter engine. Just sayin'.
    Good point. Gives you a idea of how hard the motor is being pushed.. about 400hp on stock internals and major componets. Compare that to a LS2 6.0 lol more than twice the motor, I dont think ive seen one yet pushing 800hp on stock internals. Not the correct way to compare it but it is still funny when you set back and look at it that way. There is a C6 Z06 down here that has been gone through by lingenfelter plus a big shot of nitrous, It is fast as HELL! but still on spray just reached that 800 mark and is a 7.0L

After this it makes me want to go big turbo even more. The nitrous is not for a daily thing, I mainly was just curious plus i had a grudge match that needed to be put to rest.

Who in Houston was your match with?

Quote Originally Posted by laser_racer View Post
    Who in Houston was your match with?
    I actually had two. A bolted, cammed, tuned, full exhaust WS6 and a C6 Z06. The Z06 had a cat back i believe and a intake. They got me 2 weekends ago when my ECM had a short and i shouldnt have been running but ended up running them while playing chase camera car. Didnt hear the end of it when we got back to the parking lot. It would max timing at 15*, and I had a boost leak that was killing me as well. You in the Houston area?
    edit: league city isnt too far from here maybe a hour at most. You should swing by one weekend
    Last edited by silverbullet08; 08-21-2011 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by laser_racer View Post
    You should move that nitrous closer to the throttle body where its suppose to be. On the throttle body for the lsj they say you have to run a curtain resistor so you don't kill the throttle body. Also how much pressures on your bottle.
    Yes when i do go wet with it "not sure if i will keep it that long" I will mount it down by the Tb, Your supposed to run a dry shot through the MAf so the computer will compensate for the fuel since you arnt. I could do a blow through MaF and still go dry... People argue back and forth on wet it safer dry is bad, but when you think about it dry is actually a more fool proof system. If your spraying wet then you are tuning for that extra fuel that your spraying in, if anything goes wrong with your fuel supply then your going lean. with a dry the worst that could happen is you lose fuel pressure to the motor and you have the possibility of going lean while spraying if you dont catch it running wierd or the car doesnt die before the fact. As long as you have enough injector a Dry system is just as safe or safer than a wet set up.

I looked into taping the throttle body for a WOT activation wire. there is more to it than just a resistor. I got the ohm meter out and tested every wire for a signal. two threw a signal for WOT but i couldnt get enough power out of it to activate the solenoid even without the resistor.

Running the Nitrous thru the Turbo isn't the best idea IMHO. We just released those Meth adapter plates for the LNF's, you could easily just use that for Nitrous instead, it's the same threaded hole

Also, I hope you turned the boost down or at least watched the gauge, it will spike quite a bit higher then you were before when you spray!

And be careful, most of all

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    usually i have found to run a motor consistently on nitrous you not only had to lower timing but opening the ring gaps just a tad helped with that pressure=heat issue. still very easy to destroy a set of anything on nitrous as anyone whos sprayed a decent amount of it knows.

and i second the nitrous to be sprayed at the tb via the methplate. anything sprayed before the turbo is no bueno.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Quote Originally Posted by BackyardTurbo_FTW View Post
    Running the Nitrous thru the Turbo isn't the best idea IMHO. We just released those Meth adapter plates for the LNF's, you could easily just use that for Nitrous instead, it's the same threaded hole

Also, I hope you turned the boost down or at least watched the gauge, it will spike quite a bit higher then you were before when you spray!

And be careful, most of all
    Yes boost was suppressed. I thought about that when i was setting up the tune. after lowering it i still spiked 22 psi so i was glad i did take that into consideration. I agree it isnt a good idea to run the nitrous through the turbo. Its internally cooling a hot turbo! lol
    Nitrous makes everything much more .... touchy is how to explain it. Fuel trims and timing make a HUGE difference in power. Ive got it to hold a good boost presssure on the spike and found that the car loves 21* of timing and shows 0 KR. It seems to want more but thats as far as i am going to push it. I know people are going to freak and say "thats too much timing on nitrous" but think about how the set up is. All its doing is increasing air flow/cylinder volume. I pulled the plugs after a hard pull while spraying and the timing mark is right at the beginning of the curve so it shouldnt hurt anything running that much. I ran 25* for a long time without nitrous with no problem and the timing mark then was almost at the base or threads of the plug. I did look up the actual amount of hp that is supposed to produced from that jet and its in the 75hp range but doesnt feel like 75hp. only a dyno could tell i guess. You usually retard timing a couple degrees for every 50hp that you go up as a rule of thumb. But this idea is on gasoline not E85. I found some info about other people running Blower/E85/nitrous and they all seem to not be retarding timing much more than 2 or so degrees which is about where i am. If I do continue to spray the car and change to a wet shot then i will run Your TB spacer plate BYT. Thats a very good product to produce for the LNF guys on your part. I wonder how it will affect performance though since AEM and everyone wants the nozzle mounted about 6 inches away from the TB? have you done any testing on it yet? I know when i pulled the plugs you could see the side that was pointed to the intake and cyliner 1 seemed to have less of a feed on the meth, not bad but there was a difference in the area that was cleaned on the plug. hopefully we can still get a good atomization of the air charge before the motor with the nozzle mounted that close.

They run them thru the plates on the LSJ cars all the time, Im sure it will be fine. It's supposed to be WITHIN 6"

Another tip, increase the fuel pressure at the point you are activating the Nitrous, we had good results with that