Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: New tuner... new tune!

Tuner
    It's 1.7x4x6250x(1/60) not x 60. Actaully now that i think of it dynamic flow/cylinder will drop from peak torque till redline. I have a ref regulator setup which means my injector offset is flat. If you had a non ref setup the offset would be characterised to account for that. I would think VE would have almost 0 impact as that's what the injector offset/map is right? I was just trying to get a ball park on my setup and it's interesting to see how the math works out with you case it's a guess with the meth, but still in the ballpark (i think). Good example is my setup shows 1.62 g/cyl at 5370. I'm also 3.78% lean which means that the ecu thinks im flowing 3.78% less air or my wideband is off, injectors, map sensor, anything that attributes to that calculation. So 1.62 x 1.0378(thats 103.78%) x 4 x 6200 x (1/60) is 695whp. That's obviously alot of fudge, but if you can see past the bs it's a good sanity checl imho.

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks for the math and tip, if I apply .95 for being 5% rich it comes up around 687 which is even more inline with actual measured power.

Here ya go for the cold start, doubt the neighbors liked that at 5 am haha... I noticed something interesting, IAT is 57 degrees yet ECT is 73. The car has been sitting for 2 days.
    2000 Camaro SS M6
    11:1 Stock bottom end
    76mm Altitude compensator

Tuner
    Great thanks. Yeah I'm shooting for exactly what you have there with the startup. I'll keep working on it and post up my findings. May head to the dyno this weekend if life allows.

Thanks again.

Tuner
    So went out tonight to try a couple more items. I want to hit the dyno this saturday so i'm trying to get everything in line. Bad news is I appear to be out of fuel pump at around 5200 RPM. I ended up going to stock startup settings for airflow. I have yet to evaluate that, but at this point I'm just playing with things and seeing how they work. Car pulls good and sounds clean. I was listening on my knock headphones tonight, and after changing the timing to ramp into peak torque instead of before I am staying out of knock. I have to double check my ignition timing before getting crazy. So far so good.

Advanced Tuner
    Are you running a dual walbro setup? Glad ramping the timing up helped, these things can be so picky at times.
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Tuner
    Negative. Single racetronix with the venturi feed plugged, and the bucket drilled out. I know this isn't the best, and I'd prefer something more reliable, but it's what I have to work with right now. I finished the trap door mod a bit ago, but haven't played anymore with the fuel setup. I think eventually I'm going to go back to a new non-modified sending unit/bucket with an aeromotive stealth, and twin 044's in an engine compartment surge setup. Right now I top the tank off everytime I take the car out for added safety. I noticed that I'm getting continuous afr error above 5200 that I can't adjust out even with increased injector pulsewidth. I have a new 044 that I was thinking about running inline for now, but I'm just going to wait and do it right over the winter. Here is the log/tune/config, and a picture if you care!

Advanced Tuner
    The whole time I thought your car was an auto, looking at your logs I was thinking to myself that is a really tight torque converter! What clutch are you running? If you get a chance could you do a 4th gear test for me, say hammer it at 2000 rpm, I'd like to see your boost threshold. Car looks great, glad you have some decent weather to enjoy it! I think you will be quite surprised what it makes on 10lbs, you and I will both be doing fuel system upgrades this winter.
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Tuner
    Yeah the fall days are really nice. Great for a cruise... unfortunately I almost feel irresponsible if I drive the car without really getting into it. The plate is a McLeod 360820 and the disc is McLeod 260573. I will get back to you on the boost threshold.

Tuner
    I'm wondering if anyone has had issues where too much advance in the lower airflow/speed regions have translated into knock at wot. I have been chasing some knock at WOT with my setup, but it seems to be dependant on how the car is driven. I was able to negate this completely by really ramping up into full advance at peak torque, but I believe that the timing values are still fairly low for 8.75:1 static compression and a loose cam. I am a roll into the throttle type of guy, and not the mash it and go... thus I stay in the mid-range timing values a little longer on the way up to WOT. Any input?

Tuner
    Copied from another post I made...

OK. I finally was able to visit a local dyno dynamics shop yesterday for some baseline runs. In total I made 6 pulls, 4.5 of which it took to get the ramp rate correct. The first and last runs were fairly smooth, but runs in between had massive dips in the curve where the computer was applying the brake too hard. It was a little aggrevating to me that it took essentially 130 dollars to get their dyno setup correctly, but alas the guys there had a good attitude even when I kept insisting there machine was at fault and not my car. Another small annoyance was once all was said and done they had issues/couldn't print the plots, and since the computer was pre-windows I couldn't save any data to the usb stick I brought. I was told they would scan and email, but I'm not holding my breath. At the end of the day I was just looking for a place that could succesfully strap my car down to their dyno, and they did it with a smile. On to the important stuff...

I have found that my setup doesn't seem to like any timing around maximum airflow. I have been unsuccesful in providing any more than 14-14.5 degrees of lead in this area, however I have been playing around with ramping the lead up on the backside. So I essentially run into boost with around 13 degrees and ramp up to 18.5 at 6000rpm. I ended up at an 11.6/7:1 AFR. The final numbers (for what they are worth) were 700lbsft and 650hp. This was at 10 pounds of boost on shell 93 octane.

All in all I was happy at best. I was expecting more horsepower, but was pleased with the torque output. I think 6 pulls took a toll on the br7ef plugs, and I firmly believe that there is some power/torque that was left on the table. I don't feel as my tuning efforts were succesful as the dyno issues didn't give me any real incremental data. A friend came along and took some pictures and videos, which I will probably post on Monday or Tuesday.

-Brad
    Last edited by Brad Campbell; 10-23-2011 at 06:56 AM.

Tuner
    Here is the log file and tune...