Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: please look at this log, Engine let go #5 piston

Doesn't help matters that those two cylinders are usually the hottest of the bunch too. Def put the injectors that flow a tad more on those cylinders!
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Tuner
    we are going to be starting the car tomorrow pending some stuff I need to sort out.
    here is the tune that I will upload on it if anyone have any suggestions about what I may need to change to be safe.

fuel pressure is 52 at key on. FYI.
    we are toping all fluids and double checking everything before making her come alive once more.

Senior Tuner
    Set PE enable to 75-80 for map restrictor. Your commanded afr is 11.77 in PE. Its good to be rich to be on the safe side when tuning, Just keep in mind as the VE table comes in you want lean this out probably close to a full point. Rest looks ok to start, post a log up and we will see where its at after.

Tuner
    cool mecanicman... how about the knock sensor settings? are they totally disabled? what other safety measures does the tune need to have in place? am I missing anything?
    I will post a log tomorrow as well.

so are you saying to put 80 Kpa under the PE map or the MAP Hysteresis?

also I have the MAF disabled, is this ok for startup? that means that the VE will be controlling the fuel correct.

Senior Tuner
    Yes, PE Map. Starting with VE is fine. Knock sensors have been de-sensitized. I would find a stock tune and put all the knock settings back to stock for now. You likely will have to migrate back towards these settings becaus you switch from alluminum to iron block, but for what your doing better to be safe then sorry.

Tuner

First starup NEW 408

ok so we started the car up and it runs pretty good, rail fuel PSI is 56 at idle and 52 w only key on.
    only thing I didnt like is that the car is lean when its warming up. I cant figure out which one is the table I have to add fuel for when its reaching operating temps, I want to be in the 13.5:1 range when first start up right. right now it idles at 15.3-15.6 and I dont like it that lean when starting.

please look at the logs and see what you think. engine is still not being driven and this is just idle warm up cycles to let the rings seat a little.

Senior Tuner
    Fix your ve table before you start adjusting cold start enrichment. If the ve is off, all of your fueling will be off. The log you posted has the data you need to adjust the idle areas, apply it.

Tuner
    So why is it that when the engine is at operating temps the AFR is right on the money?

Senior Tuner
    operating in different cells, look at your scan. You have a histogram set up to track this. If the ve is right, your startup afr will be as commanded. You may need to tweak ol eq, but that would be after ve is dialed in.

Running an engine at WOT at over 220*F is a good way to melt a piston. And what was the CR on the engine that melted #5? I would never use over 24* timing @wot.

Russ Kemp

Tuner
    CR 11.2 Russ I am looking for everything I can do to keep the engine alive long time. I appreciate all suggestions.

Also your knock sensor tables are desensitized, return them to stock, and start with 22* total timing.

I would also use a TR7 spark plug. That 408 will make a lot more power, thus more heat on the power stroke.

Install a 160* stat, lower the fan temps and check for blockage of the rad.

Russ Kemp