Thread: Collecting spark tuning threads. Post here!

Post Collecting spark tuning threads. Post here!

If there are any spark tuning threads that you have read and they have made a successful impact on your tunes, post'em here. There seems to be an endless supply of VE tuning, MAF tuning and idle tuning threads but very few on spark tuning.

Things of interest:
    -idle spark tuning
    -WOT spark tuning
    -fuel mileage spark tuning vs fuel octane
    -boost/nitrous spark tuning

Here's a few to get started...

WOT vs normal driving spark explanation
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...ight=wot+spark

Great discussion on head design and ignition timing...
    http://ls1tech.com/forums/advanced-e...ing-101-a.html

Idle tuning and WOT tuning suggestions, starts after post #2
    http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...tricks-373848/

Slight discussion on cranking spark.
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...t=start+timing
    Last edited by Rinkrat456; 08-22-2011 at 04:02 PM.
    -Patrick
    Click for >>Idle Tuning Guide

This thread is kind of like a potluck...if no one brings any food to the gathering we're gonna starve.

Come on! I'll keep finding threads I've read in the past about spark tuning and/or design/theory if you all will pitch in.
    -Patrick

Advanced Tuner
    243 heads like 20-24 degrees of timing for peak power / torque. Most good tuners run around 2 degrees less timing at peak torque (4000-5000) and taper that 2 degrees of timing back to the rev limit.

L92 / LS3 heads seem to like around 29-31 degrees of timing.
    241 heads around 26-28

A dyno is the best tool for determining minimum best torque. Not really any accurate way to tune MBT with out a load bearing dyno.

Some general rule of thumb for nitrous would be to subtract 2 degrees for every 50hp. Some setups require more some require less, reading plugs will show you what you need.

Hard to have guidlines on somethings as there are a ton of variables in different setups. For every 1lb of boost subtracting 1 degree of timing would probably be safe. Than again a lot of depends on load / IAT, turbo, centrifugal and roots blowers all will react differently.

Idle tuning, I prefer to set idle spark where the engine idles the most stable. The least amount of rpm deviation. I do not set idle to lowest kpa reading on the map sensor. I have found best idle in the 16-20 degree range on cammed engines with 243 and LS3 heads.
    Last edited by Nitroused383; 08-06-2011 at 06:10 AM.

Tuner
    Good reading,

Thanks,

Mr. 2008 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroused383 View Post
    243 heads like 20-24 degrees of timing for peak power / torque. Most good tuners run around 2 degrees less timing at peak torque (4000-5000) and taper that 2 degrees of timing back to the rev limit.

L92 / LS3 heads seem to like around 29-31 degrees of timing.
    241 heads around 26-28.
    Depends on compression, camshaft, etc, etc....I ran 243 heads on my 408 for a while and could not run 20+ degrees of timing without knock. High compression, etc.....You can't just say X heads like X timing.

Advanced Tuner
    These are guidelines and I said a dyno is the best tool for tuning MBT. Obviously there are a ton of variables out there and this makes every setup different. If you can't get 20 degrees of timing on a set of 243 heads you're running too much compression for pump gas or the wrong heat range of spark plug. Differences between fuel quality, altitude, camshaft, spark plug heat range, weight of car and temperature will all have an affect on what a setup likes.

I never said if you run x head you need to run x timing. That is your reading comprehension or lack there of by quoting one section of my statements. Read the whole thing.
    Last edited by Nitroused383; 08-09-2011 at 05:35 AM.

Added cranking spark tuning to the top list.
    -Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroused383 View Post
    These are guidelines and I said a dyno is the best tool for tuning MBT. Obviously there are a ton of variables out there and this makes every setup different. If you can't get 20 degrees of timing on a set of 243 heads you're running too much compression for pump gas or the wrong heat range of spark plug. Differences between fuel quality, altitude, camshaft, spark plug heat range, weight of car and temperature will all have an affect on what a setup likes.

I never said if you run x head you need to run x timing. That is your reading comprehension or lack there of by quoting one section of my statements. Read the whole thing.
    your post was edited after i quoted you. how's THAT for reading comprehension. lol, lighten up, bubba. and for the record, you can't run x timing with x head. don't forget.