Thread: ECM swap questions

ECM swap questions

Well I had a mishap when i swapped out my clutch, pinched the section of the harness that reads ECT, rear 02, and the speed sensor. Since then ive fixed the wiring and replaced the sensors but still had the same problem. I put my ECM in another balt and the problems showed on that car. So I determined it fried or shorted somthing in there.

Question is if I replace the ECM what all is required to get it working correctly? Crank relearn? seed relearn? Clutch relearn? And if i change the vin via HPtuners will it allow me to tune it with out having to recredit it?
    HP-Unlimited Tuning and Custom Fabrication
    Houston area performance parts dealer
    MD800 Mustang Dyno 713-560-3889 Taylor
    2016 Camaro A8 "shop car" FIRST 6th GEN CAMARO OVER 200mph IN THE MILE 203.5mph

I had 3 different ECU's in mine. Never needed a crank or clutch relearn. I did have to do the security relearn on a swap though. One was new from GTPPrix programmed to match mine. One was used from another car.

Sadly, they all needed credits to program and change the VIN. I have an '08 model year license now.
    Last edited by Iam Broke; 08-02-2011 at 07:20 AM.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

Just be sure to follow the new ecu procedure listed on ZZP correctly, MASH the clutch pedal down when it comes to that step Ive found also. If you don't do it correctly and try too many times it can cause you to HAVE to get a clutch pedal relearn done, which cant be done with HPT. Then it will get more complicated.

Yea I will have my 08 license after this credit of this ECU. Too bad I cant find one more 08 LNF to tune before lol.

Thanks for the heads up on the process BYt.

Advanced Tuner
    You could always get the dealer or parts store to change the vin. They have to do that when you buy a new computer from them anyways.
    1994 Mazda Miata turbo, aero, hoosiers Class=SSM

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!

HPT looks at the VIN and ECU ESN. Changing the VIN isn't going to get you around the licensing issue. Pop for the credits.

Quote Originally Posted by Iam Broke View Post
    HPT looks at the VIN and ECU ESN. Changing the VIN isn't going to get you around the licensing issue. Pop for the credits.
    Yea I thought about having the dealer flash it for me since i know someone inside that will do it for free, but I found out this will not work a while back. Guess thats another way for hp to make some money lol

Tuner in Training

Reviving the dead thread, please help a newb ;)

Hey guys,

I am really new to HPT but have a spare ECM to tune on top of. Can someone spell out the process for swapping these for me ? (sorry I have a 2010 Cobalt SS/TC) I bought HPT used and only have 4 credits so don't want to mess up and license the wrong WIN or do something else incorrectly.

I am Broke, it sounds like you have done this a few times, any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I am really looking forward to playing with HPT but need to get over this first hurdle safely without, spending more money preferably.

Thanks so much in advance!

Chris

Read entire your base tune from your stock ECU. Put it away.

Install your spare ECU, do the security relearn if needed. Write entire your spare ECU with your stock cal. Change the VIN in the ECU if you want to, then read entire it back and you will have your VIN on the file from here on out.

Tune your spare ECU with a write cal from here forward. Only time you need to Write entire is if you change the base file from the Stock cal to GMS1.

You will need 2 credits for each ECU to be able to save the files.

The security relearn has been posted before and can be found on ZZP's website. If I can dig it up later, I'll paste it in this thread.

You will need to do the security relearn on each ECU swap iirc.

Tuner in Training
    thanks for this I did a read entire tonight on my GMS1 and uploaded to the repository as I noticed no one had yet (?). I found it interesting that I didn't need to license the file in order to read it. (perhaps I have to license to write it ?) Either way I'll figure something out in the near future. I have to figure some other stuff out first. I just cleared the P0402 code for cat efficiency (knowing it was there from my catted DP). However I found a MAF code as well as a MAP code). car has been running reasonably well in my opinion however I did have some issues with it not boosting on the hwy but that was just a one time thing either way I have cleared the codes, am cleaning the MAF and cleaning my K&N for the first time (10k kms ish). Then I'm going to give the car a few weeks to either throw or not re-throw those codes before I begin tuning.

Thanks again for the heads up on the process much appreciated.

Chris

EDIT:

I extracted the codes to a text file before I cleared them they were as follows for reference (or comment):

[ECM] P2178 - System Too Rich Off Idle Bank 1 (Old) (Immature)
    [ECM] P0101 - Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Performance (Old) (Immature)
    [ECM] P0420 - Catalyst System Low Efficiency (SES) (Old) (History) (Current) (Immature)
    [ECM] P0106 - Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) System Performance (Old) (Immature)
    [ECM] P0420 - Catalyst System Low Efficiency

EDIT again:

found this thread: http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...%28Immature%29

I have these exact codes, seems as though MAF or boost leak, with my MAP code as well I'm thinking boost leak... fingers crossed on dirty MAF although seems unlikely (Figured I'd share haha).
    Last edited by Whitmore29; 09-20-2011 at 08:44 PM. Reason: added the actual codes I threw to the bottom of the post

Well, I'd think twice about putting my vin in the repository, but I'm paranoid like that.
    Last edited by Iam Broke; 09-20-2011 at 08:58 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Iam Broke View Post
    Well, I'd think twice about putting my vin in the repository, but I'm paranoid like that.
    Never even thought of it from a big brother GM perspective but good call, either way lets hope no GM techs out there are spying this thread . Just putting it up in the spirit of sharing with others.

Would you think my assessment on the codes is correct ? more than likely boost leak of some sort?

thanks again for the help ,

Chris