Thread: Need help, car runs like crap!

Tuner in Training

Need help, car runs like crap!

hey guys, new to the forum but not new to gm tuning. i got a tune from a local tuner and my car runs like crap, it gets worse with the a/c on and higher temps. it is sporadic and does not always run bad. im stumped at this and am convinced that it is a tuning problem. It will surge really hard in the 1000-1600 rpm level in any gear, worse when going slow. stall at random, idle will dip low when coming to a stop, occasional smoke coming out of the tailpipesat idle, blackish color. and horrible mpg around town and at idle, i can drive 30 miles on the highway with 26mpg and then come to a stop and the aerage will plumit to 14mpg in less than a min. someone please help me cuz now i hate driving my car, been back to the tuner twice with litte positive results. i understand the car will never run like stock but this is really bad and im a very tolerant person. i have also attached the tune. thanks guys

2002 z06 5.7 50k miles

vrx6 cam 238/240 .605/.609 112 lsa
    single roller chain
    power bond 10%
    trickflow 7.4 pushrods
    lunati springs
    ported ls6 oil pump
    Fast 90/90
    vararam intake with velocity coupler
    longtubes, no cats, dmh cutouts
    built t5 trans
    textralia z-grip

Tuner in Training
    Can anyone please help me?

Tuner
    Do you have a log? I will try to help but I'm still learning, nothing in your tune jumps out at me though. That's a decent sized cam and some of the really good tuners on here can make it drive like stock in low rpm ranges.

Cannot read tour tune, sounds to me like your ve is wack

Tuner in Training
    All i know is that something is wrong. No I don't have any logs because I I've no yet bought my own hptuners. I guess I have to take a loss on the money for the tune and get my own software. : ( .... anyone else have ideas?

Tuner in Training
    Got an 04 z with similar setup,Fast92/NW TB and its doing the same thing.Ran fine with the Fast 78 on it.Pulled the intake again to double check everything,looks good but idle/part throttle still crap.I compared our tunes,you have a little less idle RAF than I and much more aggressive timing(just an observation,not an issue) I AM going to get to the bottom of it,I will keep you posted.In the meantime,I would suggest getting the MPVI as well as wiring in a good WB and working on some logs.You will get MUCH more help with some RT data, Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstang5887 View Post
    All i know is that something is wrong. No I don't have any logs because I I've no yet bought my own hptuners. I guess I have to take a loss on the money for the tune and get my own software. : ( .... anyone else have ideas?

If you don't have hpt no one can help you with out having the car for them to tune it. As it stands your tuner needs to get Gregs dvd's or go to the tuning schools class or both. The file is missing a lot of things for your setup and only half way tuned.

That said, If you get HPTuners you would at least be able to upload a tweeked file if someone gave you one. But right now you can not do that. I do see problems in your tune that would keep it from idling/running correct.

Get HPTuners and you will get the help you need. Keep in mind you will need to read posts and stickies and get up to speed on as much as you can. I would also say for you to get Gregs dvd's from summit racing or second hand. I have heard they are packed with great info!

We Can Fix Your Bricked PCM Or Your YYYYYY OS ID

Tuner in Training
    yeah i suppose i am going to buy my own hp tuners. i just wanted to make sure that my tune wasnt on point and that there would be room for improvement if i bought my own tuner. kinda sucks that people say they know what there doing when they really dont. now im 400$ in the hole for a crappy tune, i hate driving my car now

With a good tune your car could run close to stock. I know it hurts, well the price but a great person once said "YOU HAVE TO PAY TO PLAY" Its a harsh reality but keep at it, anything is possiable. Its too bad you got a bad tune from someone wanting to make a quick buck. If or when you do buy HPT you will learn WTF someone did to your car and say WHY THE f did they do that. Their is pliunty of people that know wtf is going on you just have to read and read more and then ask qs, hope this helps.

Tuner in Training
    so my tuner said he would refund my money but wants to know what i found wrong with his tune, can anyone help?? thanks alot

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstang5887 View Post
    hey guys, new to the forum but not new to gm tuning. i got a tune from a local tuner and my car runs like crap, it gets worse with the a/c on and higher temps. it is sporadic and does not always run bad. im stumped at this and am convinced that it is a tuning problem. It will surge really hard in the 1000-1600 rpm level in any gear, worse when going slow. stall at random, idle will dip low when coming to a stop, occasional smoke coming out of the tailpipesat idle, blackish color. and horrible mpg around town and at idle, i can drive 30 miles on the highway with 26mpg and then come to a stop and the aerage will plumit to 14mpg in less than a min. someone please help me cuz now i hate driving my car, been back to the tuner twice with litte positive results. i understand the car will never run like stock but this is really bad and im a very tolerant person. i have also attached the tune. thanks guys

2002 z06 5.7 50k miles

vrx6 cam 238/240 .605/.609 112 lsa
    single roller chain
    power bond 10%
    trickflow 7.4 pushrods
    lunati springs
    ported ls6 oil pump
    Fast 90/90
    vararam intake with velocity coupler
    longtubes, no cats, dmh cutouts
    built t5 trans
    textralia z-grip
    what injectors do you have in this thing? they are scaled really high for an NA application..... i wouldnt hope for the best gas mileage around town, i mean you put in a 238-240 cam lol
    Owner of Cunningham Motorsports

06 z06
    2016 camaro
    68 Camaro
    2014 e63 amg
    07 LBZ Duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Google View Post
    If you don't have hpt no one can help you with out having the car for them to tune it. As it stands your tuner needs to get Gregs dvd's or go to the tuning schools class or both. The file is missing a lot of things for your setup and only half way tuned.

That said, If you get HPTuners you would at least be able to upload a tweeked file if someone gave you one. But right now you can not do that. I do see problems in your tune that would keep it from idling/running correct.

Get HPTuners and you will get the help you need. Keep in mind you will need to read posts and stickies and get up to speed on as much as you can. I would also say for you to get Gregs dvd's from summit racing or second hand. I have heard they are packed with great info!

explain what you see wrong?? i mean there are some things that are wrong, but i have seen alot worse tunes, even some from some very well known tuners....
    Last edited by rynez06; 08-11-2011 at 10:43 PM.
    Owner of Cunningham Motorsports

06 z06
    2016 camaro
    68 Camaro
    2014 e63 amg
    07 LBZ Duramax

Tuner in Training
    i have racetronic 42lb. i wouldnt mind the bad gas mileage if it was due to the cam but i feel its cuz of the tune. i average 14.2 mpg with alot of highway driving and im not that hard on it. sometimes at idle it will puff out black smoke, unburnt fuel. i know its running extremly rich.

Tuner in Training
    ok well i just bought my own hp tuners, should be here on friday, can someone tell me what direction to go in to eliminate this surge and stalling.?

First step would be to find the correct injector data for your specific injectors. That always seems to be the first place folks go wrong...fuel is 1 part of 3 needed for combustion so if you can nail down the data needed for the injectors you're already a third the way done tuning.

After your injector data is spot on, then you can tune VE and spark...amongst other things. I think by fixing the injector data and re-tuning the VE most of the major troubles will go away.
    -Patrick
    Click for >>Idle Tuning Guide

Advanced Tuner
    Darkstang Where are you located?

Tuner in Training
    im in nj, i found the injector data online for my injectors so ill insert that and see what happens