Thread: VIN number entered - invalid

Tuner in Training

VIN number entered - invalid

I am in need to change the VIN # in the pcm and it says "invalid vin" when entering the vin of the current (swap) vehicle. Is there a work around to entering vin numbers? I am swaping a LS into a 2000 BMW and need to enter the BMW vin number into the GM PCM for state inspection purposes. I will be running the BMW's DME/PCM only to operate the cluster which means the DME will never run the evap system, oxygen sensor monitors and so on. This will prevent me from getting a state inspeciton becuase the monitors will be incomplete. And getting a tune for the BMW would be a waste of money... any solutions?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZJM861 View Post
    I am in need to change the VIN # in the pcm and it says "invalid vin" when entering the vin of the current (swap) vehicle. Is there a work around to entering vin numbers? I am swaping a LS into a 2000 BMW and need to enter the BMW vin number into the GM PCM for state inspection purposes. I will be running the BMW's DME/PCM only to operate the cluster which means the DME will never run the evap system, oxygen sensor monitors and so on. This will prevent me from getting a state inspeciton becuase the monitors will be incomplete. And getting a tune for the BMW would be a waste of money... any solutions?
    thanks
    I think it could be done in Hex, but then you would have an invalid vin/os pair and would have be edited with something else or you would have a YYYYY os error and have to license the year model to edit it. I have fixed a few but not changed the vin to an invalid pair.. Normally I am changing it to a valid os to enable single licensing vs year model licensing.

Last edited by Google; 07-23-2011 at 08:00 PM.
    We Can Fix Your Bricked PCM Or Your YYYYYY OS ID

Tuner in Training
    Bummer, I found some more threads and its doesnt look good with hptuners. EFI live can do it no problem.. lol.. and i dont have that equipment. In the thread they talked about efi live can flash the vin w/o using credits... if i can find someone down here in houston to do that for me it would be great.
    clint

Quote Originally Posted by ZJM861 View Post
    Bummer, I found some more threads and its doesnt look good with hptuners. EFI live can do it no problem.. lol.. and i dont have that equipment. In the thread they talked about efi live can flash the vin w/o using credits... if i can find someone down here in houston to do that for me it would be great.
    clint

If you change the vin to a invalid vin os pair I don't think you will be able to change anything in the tune after that.. I think you would have to have it changed back after the inspection.. HPTuners can change the vin but would need to be a valid vin os pair per GM http://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web . I am not sure if the other software will let you change a vin to any vin you desire or not as I have not had the need to try it.

We Can Fix Your Bricked PCM Or Your YYYYYY OS ID