Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: LNF Maf Calibrating w/ PICS.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Breadfan View Post
    I have exported the MAF calibration table for stock after applying the special paste by percent. (and attached to this post) Open a copy of your stock tune and import the attached file into your Editor from the MAF calibration histo. Open the tune that contains your first MAF adjustment as a compare file. Use the 'show differences' button to see if what you did is different.
    yeah, completely different. I wonder why? could it be something in 2.23 beta i'm using that is causing the paste to be different?

noob question. can I utilize the file you attached. load it into a tune and save a copy. then calibrate that to car and move forward? or is that a no-no?
    08 Victory Red/Ebony 5spd SS - ZZP Catless Downpipe - Crazy Steve Intercooler - ZZP CAI - ZZP Hot Side Pipe

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    jax- your maf curve is not smooth at all. you are either having histogram problems or you manually copied and pasted incorrectly.
    did you look at the new lnf maf calibration video maybe something got missed

and you always tune your factory file....if you take another from online and run it thats a no no and usually causes problems.
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 05-01-2012 at 08:40 PM.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Quote Originally Posted by JAXFL_SS View Post
    yeah, completely different. I wonder why? could it be something in 2.23 beta i'm using that is causing the paste to be different?

noob question. can I utilize the file you attached. load it into a tune and save a copy. then calibrate that to car and move forward? or is that a no-no?
    I'm on the same beta as you. While you technically can just use the file I created by importing it, you should first figure out what is causing your technique to result in incorrect numbers before moving forward.

Tuner in Training
    thanks guys. i appreciate the insight. I'm starting to see why people pay you gurus to write the stuff for us (I'm going to forge ahead on my own cuz I'm stubborn I think)

I watched the vid a number of times. I'll watch it again. since this has started from the beginning, can I just write the entire base file that the scanner downloaded initially back to car, erase all the logs and tunes I have, and start fresh?
    08 Victory Red/Ebony 5spd SS - ZZP Catless Downpipe - Crazy Steve Intercooler - ZZP CAI - ZZP Hot Side Pipe

Quote Originally Posted by JAXFL_SS View Post
    thanks guys. i appreciate the insight. I'm starting to see why people pay you gurus to write the stuff for us (I'm going to forge ahead on my own cuz I'm stubborn I think)

I watched the vid a number of times. I'll watch it again. since this has started from the beginning, can I just write the entire base file that the scanner downloaded initially back to car, erase all the logs and tunes I have, and start fresh?
    If you mean write entire, I think you just need to write calibration from the stock file back to the car rather than write entire. There is no shame in starting over. I have also suffered occasional setbacks. Being stubborn like me is good. You'll figure it out before you get frustrated and give up.

I can only hope to be a 'guru' someday.

Tuner in Training
    ok. I wrote calibration back to stock after my latest run failed. I wasn't sure it that was getting everything back or not. guess it did.

I went back to the base file and changed the MAF Base table to 1.00 again. Am going to reload that into the VCM and then scan on my way to work in the morning. Then I'll try to copy paste special again and see if I can get better results off my new scan.

One thing I noted and fixed, my MAF Base table starts at 15 in the base tune. The config file I pulled down started at 10 for load in the MAF base histogram. I changed the histogram to match the MAF Base. Don't know if that will make a huge difference, but worth a shot.

I'm sure you'll hear from me if I run into more issues. I really appreciate you guys giving me a hand.

If your zzp intake is a full intake requiring maf swap make sure it didn't get installed backwards.

Tuner in Training
    It is full intake, but according to ZZP should have been direct replacement. No MAF swap needed.

Ok just checking cause it happens lol

Tuner in Training
    I think its just something in the copy paste special procedure is hinky for me. Something in the tune is jacked and causing the flutter issues. After reloading the base tune last night and even after calibrating changes to MAF Base table for 1.00 this morning (I decided to start fresh from the base tune again), the problem isn't present.

We'll see what happens.

In the scanner, did you make sure you have Average selected for the MAF calibration histo? (The "A" in the upper right) If you select "+" or "C" while looking at KR, for example, and then switch back to MAF calibration, you have to remember to set it back to average.

Tuner in Training
    yeah, it is set on Average. I took the scan from this morning and updated the parameters in the Editor via paste special %. I uploaded those to the car, drove around, and scanned again. When I now take the new trims and update the editor by paste special %, the trims in the Editor go UP vs. down. I think that is the problem and its making it way too rich. I just don't understand why it is happening.

The numbers in MAF cal in the editor aren't fuel trims, they are a definition of how much air is passing the MAF. My numbers in the editor go up too when I multiply by a positive trim %.

Tuner in Training
    So when we are watching for it to get closer to 0, that is in the scanner, not the editor?

Exactly. The 'closer to zero' thing refers to the STFT and LTFT logging as closer to zero in the scanner after each paste special % to the MAF calibration table (MAF Airflow vs Output Freqency Table) in the editor.

Tuner in Training
    Breadfan and I were talking and I/we were wondering if it will hurt anything to leave the MAF Base at 1's in the tune? I have my MAF calibrations pretty close to zero in the scanner each run, but everytime I try to finalize it with the MAF Base histo being copied into MAF Base in the editor (using the %-half), it throws my trims out of whack again.

maf base corrections are by percent whole. but i do that sometimes with no damages.

It would seem to me that even if your MAF cal table wasn't entirely calibrated, the correction table would still push your trims closer to zero. I'm concerned that we are doing it wrong. I start with LTFT+STFT staying close to zero. I have tried pasting special % to the base table for multiple logs (1hr mixed highway/city each) and it just gradually pushes the calibration further out of whack. I was ready to blame my O2 sensor but since I'm new at tuning, I figured it is more likely that I am missing something. Is the O2 sensor supposed to flatline at 1.992 when you lift your foot and coast?
    Last edited by Breadfan; 05-07-2012 at 03:34 PM. Reason: typos

Ur doing it right. After your initial by percent adjustment to the base give it time to see if it calms down.

cant quite seem to get maf freq near 0. thought i had it going for a sec then i got some more 2s and 3s after pasting %, not half, 3 times then by half % the 4th time. i set the base to all 1s, then unplugged the evap purge, the tube not the electrical connection and didnt get a code ever, then flashed that and logged 4 times. just couldnt seem to get it to go down and stay down across the board. didnt even bother modifying the base table since i couldnt get the maf right. went ahead and plugged the evap back up.

did i do something wrong initially or not follow the directions quite right?
    2008 Sky RL