Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: LNF Maf Calibrating w/ PICS.

ok so I have a Tial BOV installed on the cold pipe. I just relocated the maf sensor between the bov and the throttle body.

After all that work I am getting this. My fuel trims are like very high in the negatives. I copied and pasted special by % and the begining just sky rocketed... Any suggestions? I really need this car driving smooth for sunday. I have a long drive to make and its not running as smooth as it should...

Thanks all!

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Did you unplug the evap, sometimes it helps and is your maf in a 3" section of the cp?
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

EVAP is disconected. But it was showing this same exact spike when it was in the air filter. I thought it might have been the BOV popping.

check for vacuum leaks and/or do a cp and ic pressure test to 32psi
    ive never seen it do that before unless it was copied and pasted in reverse or just faulty paste function.

what should those numbers be reading? it just reads 120 really weird.

I will check my piping but it holds boost just fine.... The only areas it can leak are at the throttle body rubber elbow. the maf is like 6 inches from the throttle body. right before the rubber.

1) your maf base table needs to be reset to show all 1 before you start adjusting the maf sensor. so you will need to try that and record again. if they are off by alot you take a total average and we can adjust by changing the injector constant which i will explain more after you get this maf adjusting down or unless its still way off.
    2) when i adjust your tune file by using my configuration and your scaned fuel trim values for your maf i do not get the same spike so i will attach my scanner configuration so you can compare it to yours. you are logging everything correctly because my config recognizes everything correctly just might be your histo layout or how you are copy and pasting.

the attached picture is my results for adjusting the maf curve with my scanner config file and using your posted tune and scanner log. so it has to be something you are doing during the paste step or scanner histo setup.

found that the histogram was looking at the BOOST pid. WTF I fixed it going to flash and drive and log again now.

Tuner in Training
    I'm very new to this so please forgive me. I am trying to follow this thread and also the original BYT thread, but I am not getting very far. In the original post, you had a sample config file to use to get started, but the link doesn't seem to be working. Am I missing something?

EDIT: Brain fart. I found the attachment for the lnf config file at the end of the post. I somehow overlooked it.

As to the sample config file, what custom PIDs beyond the LTFT+STFT [PID.6]+[PID.7] do I need to get it to function or are the PIDs already in the config file?

Y'all have a bunch of great info and I appreciate all of your help.

Thanks
    Last edited by JAXFL_SS; 04-30-2012 at 10:27 PM.
    08 Victory Red/Ebony 5spd SS - ZZP Catless Downpipe - Crazy Steve Intercooler - ZZP CAI - ZZP Hot Side Pipe

I think you're mostly all set with the starter config file. When you start adding in histograms for other stuff you want to track, you may need to add the PID which contains the calculation for data you are tracking. I practiced by recreating the histos and PIDs in the starter config. It is really important to be comfortable with the logging. I had some errors in my config file PIDs and it caused me to make some incorrect changes so I did some remedial for a time. (many, many hours) There are some really good people on here with more experience than me that will surely help you get started.

if they dont work which they should...the histograms that dont work go into the setup section and select the tab thats not working and verify the sensor that the custom pid uses is in the table primary list and then it should work.

last i heard it was a good to go file.

Tuner in Training
    Been following the thread steps to the "T". However, on my 3rd rendition, I am getting some major turbo flutter and then it throws a MAF code and shuts down the turbo.

Me thinks this isn't how it should go. I rolled back to an earlier version of the hpt file and tried running the creating a new hpl and the copy/paste per the instructions, but get the same result, so I am not sure of the problem. I know my LTFTs are way off base, but they don't seem to get any better as I move forward.

I'm going to roll back to an earlier hpt again so I can get it home, then work on it more tonight. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    08 Victory Red/Ebony 5spd SS - ZZP Catless Downpipe - Crazy Steve Intercooler - ZZP CAI - ZZP Hot Side Pipe

post your tune
    and to fix your histograms add the barometric pressure sensor pid to the table primary list in the scanner.
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 05-01-2012 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAXFL_SS View Post
    Been following the thread steps to the "T". However, on my 3rd rendition, I am getting some major turbo flutter and then it throws a MAF code and shuts down the turbo.

Me thinks this isn't how it should go. I rolled back to an earlier version of the hpt file and tried running the creating a new hpl and the copy/paste per the instructions, but get the same result, so I am not sure of the problem. I know my LTFTs are way off base, but they don't seem to get any better as I move forward.

I'm going to roll back to an earlier hpt again so I can get it home, then work on it more tonight. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    If you can post the first log you did with it stock, I'll post up images of the numbers I get by applying the first adjustment and how I did it. Then you can work on it vs what I got so you'll know when you are headed the right direction by comparing to my numbers.

for the fuel trims to be -20 there is either a tune flaw or a mechanical problem like an air leak causing the ecu to pull fuel

I got some wacky fuel trims when I started out doing it wrong. There ended up being an incorrect PID setting in my config rather than any issue with the car.

Tuner in Training
    Alright. Let's try this again (I couldn't get the attachments to load earlier).

The config file is the one from Post #1 of this thread.

The hpl is the first log I made after setting everything to 1.00 in the MAF Base per the instructions and setting the calibrations to the car.

The tune is the one I loaded to the car that caused the flutter and subsequent shutdown.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by JAXFL_SS; 05-01-2012 at 05:23 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    for the fuel trims to be -20 there is either a tune flaw or a mechanical problem like an air leak causing the ecu to pull fuel
    I think everything as far as the trims was pretty good until I installed this ZZP intake. Ever since, I get IAT and MAF (P0101) codes that I have to reset. I have checked everything as far as connections and can't find any air leaks. I can send you my base hpt too if that would help any.

I went back in to my v2 tune that seemed to be working ok. I opened the v2 log and did the copy - paste special to the MAF Airflow vs Output Frequency table. Below is a screenshot of that. In the higher frequencies, the trims seem to be good (say above 4,006), but lower than that they are pretty bad I think. I may try to load this back to the car, log it, and then see if a paste by 1/2 % will do any good.
    Last edited by JAXFL_SS; 05-01-2012 at 06:23 PM.

Tuner in Training
    well that failed too. wrote the attached hpt to the car. the attached log is after writing it and going for a spin. P0101 code. turbo shutdown.

back to base tune. I will await your replies.

TIA

I have exported the MAF calibration table for stock after applying the special paste by percent. (and attached to this post) Open a copy of your stock tune and import the attached file into your Editor from the MAF calibration histo. Open the tune that contains your first MAF adjustment as a compare file. Use the 'show differences' button to see if what you did is different.
    Last edited by Breadfan; 05-01-2012 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Clarification