Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: LNF Maf Calibrating w/ PICS.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar

Exclamation LNF Maf Calibrating w/ PICS.

Attachment 29677For those people having some minor issues i hope this how too clears up the how-2 posted by BYT explaining how to calibrate your LTFT+STFT on your maf sensor. some people still seem to have minor issues.

(attached config file can be used to help get a start)

* use this as a guide to help bring fuel trims in closer when making major tune adjustments
    ** "EVAP SOLENOID" once done making mass adjustments and you want to finalize the maf, disconect the evap solenoid for best results. once done plug the solenoid back in and double check the ltft and stft are happy.

MAF Calibration Steps:
    1) Go into your editor. Under Airflow tab, open the MAF Correction "BASE" table. Highlight every cell in the table and make them "1.00" like so:

2) Install that into the ecu and record lots of drive varying load driving.
    Open your scanner to your MAF Frequency X LTFT+STFT Histogram.
    When you get there select the very first cell on the left.(value in maf hz should be 500,000 which matches the first cell in the editor chart if you set it up correctly) right click and click on the option for "load all data"
    (!NOTICE! i have the letter "A" selected in the upper right hand corner on the histogram which means we are taking the average of the information gathered in the log)

2B) Viola! all the data is now uploaded into the histogram by average so no wasting time pressing the play button and waiting for it to all load up.

3) Click the farthest upper left corner where the axis meet.(it should be blank) This will highlight all the information in the scanner for that particular histogram. like so:

4) go to the first cell for recorded data and right click and choose "COPY" not copy with labels
    the cell im talking about is like so:

5) Once you have that copied go back into your Editor. under Airflow, MAF Calibration open the Airflow vs. Frequency chart.

remember that corner of the chart trick i mentioned earlier to highlight all the cells. you dont have to do that in this chart. you do however have to make sure you are pasting from the correct maf hz value or your shit will get messed up. So remember when we right clicked and saved copied the info from the cell corresponding to 500,000hz in the scanner??
    well you guessed it! you have to find that same box in the editor and select it like so:

6) Once you have that selected right click in that same cell and select "PASTE SPECIAL MULTIPLY BY %" (NOTE: repeat those steps until all of the histogram charts for maf hz X ltftxstft have been copied and pasted into the editor)

7) You will repeat those steps as written out maybe 1 or two times depending on how far off your maf calibration is. once it gets closer to 0 then you chose "PASTE SPECIAL MULTIPLY BY %-HALF" and repeat until you feel you are as close as your going to get.(remember your just getting close at this point. you can do paste by %-half 50 times and maf changes every time so only a few times should do the trick) i usually end up doing paste by whole percent 2 times and by half % 3 times just to be sure.

8) now we move onto making our last and final adjustments to our maf which will make the ltft+stft more or less flatline and make your baby run happy as ever. once done with the previous steps 1-7, record a nice long scan and open it up. proceed to your histogram for reading LTFT+STFT on a RPMxLOAD axis chart. (it should mimic the MAF BASE chart that we set to all 1.00 when we started) Once again Load all data for the histogram chart and select A for average in the upper right corner. highlight all the cells in the histogram and select "copy" on that upper left hand corner cell.

so i have that first cell selected in the picture. thats the one you right click and say copy from. make sure every cell is highlighted when you copy like when we did the maf freq. steps earlier.

9) Go back into the editor under MAF Correction BASE table and selct that first cell in the chart you copied from in the scanner. select "PASTE SPECIAL MULTIPLY BY %" and save your tune.

repeat steps 8-9 until your changes have made your ltft+stft as close to 0 as possible and viola! your MAF is now recalibrated resulting in dialed in STFT's and LTFT's
    ***"IF YOU DISCONNECTED YOUR EVAP SOLENOID REMEMBER TO PLUG IT BACK IN AND DOUBLE CHECK THE FUEL TRIMS
    if anyone see's anymore to add please let me know and i will make edits to this first post to keep it accurate.

ONCE AGAIN THIS IS NOT SOMETHING NEW, CREDIT TO BYT. im not trying to steal your thunder just thought that having the pictures to match the steps would help clarify some peoples questions as well as make it easier to understand. having something visual to put with the steps i was reading always helped me. i figure there are alot more on here thinking the same.
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 05-01-2012 at 03:27 PM.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Excellent re-write! Much better detail

You will notice when you do the first set of adjustments that the values will be high the first time, then the second time they will be closer to +/-2%. If you keep at it, they will toggle back and forth slightly. Once you notice this happening, do the paste by 1/2 and then move on the Maf Cal table instead.

The reasoning for the 2 tables and this method is pretty simple. Think of the Freq table as the rough adjust and the Cal table as the fine adjust. It is very possible to hit the same Freq at a couple of different loads which will make it require a different amount of adjustment to meet your commanded AFR. So this is why they use the 2 tables for adjustment. If you make a Histo for the Maf Cal table and use Maf Freq as the sensor you will see exactly what Im talking about. There will be groups of the same Freq in different sections of the Cal Histo then.

tuning for dummies lol cant get any more simple than that.
    HP-Unlimited Tuning and Custom Fabrication
    Houston area performance parts dealer
    MD800 Mustang Dyno 713-560-3889 Taylor
    2016 Camaro A8 "shop car" FIRST 6th GEN CAMARO OVER 200mph IN THE MILE 203.5mph

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet08 View Post
    tuning for dummies lol cant get any more simple than that.
    was the goal right there. cover all the questions possible.

i love how the copy and paste works the same on the BASE chart in the editor. the way its set up to multiply by a number representing a % already i nvr thought it would work. saves me lots of time for

Tuner in Training
    Thanks from a noob

Still unplugging the evap solenoid?
    Total Masshole.
    2013 F150 FX4 Supercrew Ecoboost - STOCK
    2013 Mustang GT Premium - Lots of Mods, 424 RWHP SOLD
    2009 Cobalt SS/TC Black Sedan
    227whp/224wtq Stock. Dejon CP, K&N SRI, Forge BPV, Catless, BadMab Catless DP, MPx 3" Catback, HPT Tuned 328whp/425wtq. SOLD
    2004 GTO Pulse Red 1 of 512 - R.I.P. 5/31/09

i would because its a better read but personally as long as im still moving cams and fine tuning boost and timing i leave mine connected then when thats where i like it i disconnect and go to town to make sure its damn near perfect.

Okay, good. It's what I've been doing but I thought I read somewhere that there was no need if we're making the whole MAF Base table 1's. But that's not the case.

And for some reason, I cannot seem to get my trims in line this summer. I re-do my fuel trims for winter and summer and this is the first time I've had them go just completely wild. I don't know if it's the beta or what. No CEL, MAF is working fine and I have no ither issues. I spent 2 days logging and tuning and the trims just won't come in line.

Getting P.O.'d lol.

I'm leaving them be for a couple days and try again.
    Total Masshole.
    227whp/224wtq Stock. Dejon CP, K&N SRI, Forge BPV, Catless, BadMab Catless DP, MPx 3" Catback, HPT Tuned 328whp/425wtq. SOLD

The reason you unplug the solenoid after a flash is it will hold the LTFT's are 0 the whole time. Makes it easier to do the first rough adjust, and makes the process go quicker IMO.

It works like a charm.

However, I have been running into some issues this time around. I'm going to load the stock tables back in again and start from scratch. What I noticed on my MAF Freq. table when tuning the trims is a weird dip and spike at low frequency. It's small... almost looks like what you'd see on a heart monitor... I don't have it in front of me right now to show you a screen shot and can't remember the exact frequency it was at, but it was along the inital curve.
    Total Masshole.

Smooth it out and use the Base table instead

Will do. But I've also been concerned about my WOT fueling. The STFT's seem to spike a -14 when going WOT at about 2500-3000 rpms and then will slowly make there way to 0 as I approach redline. All the while I'm getting false KR from then until 5k rpms when the trims come back towards zero. Then all KR is gone... I know it's false because I look over my logs and it's giving exactly what I command (but it still shows it's getting 3.0 KR).

This is what I mean about mine just being all whacky lately and everything else is checking out (i.e. maf sensor, map, evap etc.).
    Total Masshole.

i hate ghost kr its a pita! that shit pisses me off so much i tune advance out alot do my tuning and readvance it making the slight changes necessary just to avoid that shit. kr needs to suck my nuts!

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin85 View Post
    Will do. But I've also been concerned about my WOT fueling. The STFT's seem to spike a -14 when going WOT at about 2500-3000 rpms and then will slowly make there way to 0 as I approach redline. All the while I'm getting false KR from then until 5k rpms when the trims come back towards zero. Then all KR is gone... I know it's false because I look over my logs and it's giving exactly what I command (but it still shows it's getting 3.0 KR).

This is what I mean about mine just being all whacky lately and everything else is checking out (i.e. maf sensor, map, evap etc.).
    If your STs are getting that far out it will cause random kr. Make sure when your tuning you do a equal number of pulls in second and third gear going into fourth occasionally. I noticed one time i had third gear dialed in perfect like a -.08 in a couple spots but when i started in second gear around 45mph or so the STs were all over.
    HP-Unlimited Tuning and Custom Fabrication
    Houston area performance parts dealer
    MD800 Mustang Dyno 713-560-3889 Taylor
    2016 Camaro A8 "shop car" FIRST 6th GEN CAMARO OVER 200mph IN THE MILE 203.5mph

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet08 View Post
    If your STs are getting that far out it will cause random kr. Make sure when your tuning you do a equal number of pulls in second and third gear going into fourth occasionally. I noticed one time i had third gear dialed in perfect like a -.08 in a couple spots but when i started in second gear around 45mph or so the STs were all over.
    Yeah, I was trying to get 2nd 3rd and even 4th gear pulls in evenly to make sure they are corrected. I will be spending more time on them tonight.

If I am not mistaken, wouldn't the MAF Feq. table be the one that adjusts the fuel trims at WOT more so than the MAF BASE table... or is that wrong?
    Total Masshole.

the maf is a general but when you move through the load and rpm range the base table multiplies the value so the maf sensor is correct for every condition possible. the maf gets corrected to your average day driving then everything else pretty much gets fine tuned by the base table. so after the long words they both have a say lol its not like an lsj where i believe the maf takes presedence over the base fuel table

*edit- added some evap notes at the begining
    **edit- higlighted numerals to make finding steps easier
    ***edit- added my lnf config file for the vcm scanner to give people something to start with, see how we have it set up, and use it to ask questions for learning
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 07-29-2011 at 06:55 PM.

Maybe because I'm on beta but some of those right clicks are just not there. Please be patient with me I know I'm all over the place but learning.
    Old Car 2008 HHR SS Auto
    GMTU, TTR Solid Engine Mount and 1" Sway Bar.

Now 2013 Sonic RS Turbo
    DDMWorks Intake, ZZP Rear Sway Bar.

1972 Chevy Pickup
    L48 350 Holley 650, Weiand Alum Intake Manifold Water Pump and Pulley, Hot cam, 12 Bolt, Headers, Hurst Shifter.

either your not right clicking the correct area or something programming wise is wrong. i have the latest beta and everything is still as posted. odd

Just me I'm sure. Will keep learning thanks.
    Old Car 2008 HHR SS Auto
    GMTU, TTR Solid Engine Mount and 1" Sway Bar.

Now 2013 Sonic RS Turbo
    DDMWorks Intake, ZZP Rear Sway Bar.

1972 Chevy Pickup
    L48 350 Holley 650, Weiand Alum Intake Manifold Water Pump and Pulley, Hot cam, 12 Bolt, Headers, Hurst Shifter.