Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to enter injector data???? 160 # FIC's

Tuner in Training

Where to enter injector data???? 160 # FIC's

OKAY, new to the whole tuning world but have a solid background in engineering so most of this makes sense after a while...but I am little impatient

So, I have set up a basic SD 2.0 BAR tune open loop for my 1969 Nova with a 4.8 L T70 T56 combo.
    I am running a 2001 Camaro ECM and a rewired harness.
    Last year, the car was a LS1 car, ran great, put 5K+ miles on it.

Now, I wanted more power so I built this very nice turbo set-up…top notch.

Long story short, I had the car running the other day with the stock injectors in the car from when it was an LS1.
    I am planning to start running some big power on E85 by the end of summer (hopefully) so I bought brand new 160 # hi imp injectors from FIC.
    Seeing as I seemed to have the car stable and workout any major issues, I felt it was time to install the 160’s.
    Dropped them in, all seemed good….
    I just tried to fire up the car, see what it would do and it only tries to pop a little….tickle the throttle and it will sputter….

Well, I figure this is the time where I jump back on the learning curve…
    So, I have a spread sheet with three tabs worth of data and have no idea where to put the info except for the voltage offset (which I have no idea what that relates to!).

This is where I need help; where do I use the other two tabs of spread sheet data?
    Also, how do I tune the idle?

I have gone ahead and ordered the Greg Bandish CD but that is not due in until next week Tuesday, PLEASE HELP!

Thank you

Adam

Tuner in Training
    DERRRRR! I think I figured it out!
    I needed to go to ADVANCED SETTINGS as I was only in basic....

I put in all the info...ran like crap...pulled a plug.....WET!

I think it killed the plugs when I tried to run the new injectors without the new data..... time to change the plugs and give it another try...

Any tips of info, let me know now before I cash another set of plugs!

Tuner in Training
    I entered in the data from the spread sheet and the motor is so, aking the plugs...any suggestions, does not even idle

where is the injector flow rate (IFR) data in your spreadsheet? I would be careful, you are severly washing down the cylinders with gas if the IFR hasen't been changed .......

I would start with the attached..

Ed M
    Last edited by mowton; 07-08-2011 at 09:40 PM.
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Tuner in Training
    I can open it, can you just post the data?

MAP (kPa) 0 5 10 15 20 25 30 35 40 45 50 55 60 65 70 75 80
    Injector Flow (lb/hr) 176.5350788 177.635299 178.7287465 179.815545 180.8958143 181.9696706 183.0372268 184.0985926 185.1538743 186.2031755 187.2465966 188.2842355 189.3161872 190.3425442 191.3633965 192.3788318 193.3889353
    Last edited by mowton; 07-08-2011 at 11:42 PM.
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available

[email protected]

Always make sure your tune units are in the same format as the data you will be typing in. In this case, make sure your tune IFR units is in lbs/hr.........

Ed M

[email protected]

Tuner in Training
    Put the data in, runs at idle.....10.5 afr.....out says lds/hr but ill recheck the units

I developed the IFR based on a fuel rail pressure of 58 psi, is that right for your setup?

Provide a bit of info on the setup please, the tune that you got it to idle and any logs (include the .cfg file you used as well) so you can get maximum help.

Ed M

[email protected]

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by mowton View Post
    I developed the IFR based on a fuel rail pressure of 58 psi, is that right for your setup?

Provide a bit of info on the setup please, the tune that you got it to idle and any logs (include the .cfg file you used as well) so you can get maximum help.

Ed M
    I am only at 43 PSI at the rail.
    Right now, I have no power at my house for the past few days so I am using a friends computer to post right now.
    I have no logs since I have no power for my laptop and I know not to run a power inverter while running the laptop and HPTuners with the car all hooked up.

But the engine is a 4.8L 2007 stock short block, 317 milled heads, Victor Jr, 2002 Camaro ECM with Speartech harness and new FIC 160's.

The car idles with the new values but is idling at 10.0 AFR.
    When I go around the block, it clears up a little but still stumbles a bit and runs around 12-14 AFR.

Here is my current tune:

Those injectors suck. The data provided with them isn't truly characterized, and they'll never operate correctly. You'll have to manipulate the voltage offset and short pulse adder to even get them to remotely behave. You're partially SOL.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    Those injectors suck. The data provided with them isn't truly characterized, and they'll never operate correctly. You'll have to manipulate the voltage offset and short pulse adder to even get them to remotely behave. You're partially SOL.

Agreed!!!
    2017 Silverado LTZ

Tuner in Training
    That was one question that I asked specifically about them.
    I was told a line of BS then?
    They said that the pulse width was able to be taken down to .8ms and they were fully tunable.

Does anyone offer an injector of this size that can be tuned?

Quote Originally Posted by chicago TDP View Post
    They said that the pulse width was able to be taken down to .8ms and they were fully tunable.

Yea. Injector Dynamics.

FIC doesn't generate data for their injectors. They just copy data from whatever stock injector they modified and claim it still works because they think voltage offsets and short pulse adders don't change since they aren't changing internals. The cold hard truth is that those values do change significantly.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Tuner in Training
    So, there is a set of data that I can use to tune them though? The information that they sent is just not at the right values?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by chicago TDP View Post

0.8ms total or effective pulsewidth.
    Personally I would sell them & buy some properly characterised injectors from Injector Dynamics like Dave suggested. Check out their site & read the drillbits & dipshits article to see why you are fighting a losing battle with stock characterisation tables.

Tuner in Training
    Im going to add my experience with Injector Dynamics injectors.

I bought a set of ID1000's, installed them, used the data on their website, scaled the IFR and subsequently scaled the VE table. It cranked up on the second turn of the key with perfect idle.

I haven't been able to do any logged driving yet, but I expect it to be just as fun/easy.

ID FTMFW.

I have tuned many sets of the FIC 160s and they are just fine regardless of what you read on the internet. If you are a beginner and don't know how to get the offsets close then you are better off getting the ID injectors since they come with the data. For somebody who has the experience at setting up injector offsets that are an unknown like all tuners had to back in the day they still fuel pretty accurately and work just fine. The data that I was given however was off but don't recall how far off since I threw it away and just used my own. I will tell you right now with a 4.8L motor on 160s you will more than likely have to drop fuel pressure a bit to get away from the minimum pulse width of the injectors.
    Last edited by NicD; 07-14-2011 at 06:01 PM.

2016 C7 Z06 | 2017 ZL1 | 2009 C6 Z06 | 1994 GT - The LS-stang | 2010 Tahoe SSV

Tuner in Training
    Well, all is good!!!
    NicD has helped out with new data and some pointers on the tune, very sharp guy I might add!

Car is running smooth now, drives pretty good.
    Time to log more data, maybe go hit the rollers?!?

Thanks NicD, very happy with the time you have spent pointing me straight with how to set up the tune and what to change!

Adam

Advanced Tuner
    care to upload ur tune file?

00' WS6 370/PT4788/TH400
    99' T/A N20