Thread: GM Class 2 bus to BMW CAN BUS possible?

Tuner in Training

GM Class 2 bus to BMW CAN BUS possible?

I just bought a 2000 e46 for 3 reasons. 1- I realy like the body style. 2 - LS swap. 3- Priced right.
    Getting the engine/trans in - dont expepct problems
    Getting the engine to run - no problem
    Getting the dang cluster to operate - huge problem

The dang e46 clusters uses can bus to operate the mph, rpm, temp sensor.
    Is there a module that can do such a thing? If so what would that thing be called? I took the cluster apart to see if i could possiblly hard wire the tach signal and vss signal.. and dang there is so much going on which translates to I'd ruin the cluster if I even think twice about doing something to it...

Im a master tech at a bmw dealership and i will talk with the field service engineer and see if he can give me contact to ask about maybe hardwiring it..

any info on the GM class2 to BMW can bus module?

clint

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ZJM861 View Post
    I just bought a 2000 e46 for 3 reasons. 1- I realy like the body style. 2 - LS swap. 3- Priced right.

Is there a module that can do such a thing? If so what would that thing be called? I took the cluster apart to see if i could possiblly hard wire the tach signal and vss signal.. and dang there is so much going on which translates to I'd ruin the cluster if I even think twice about doing something to it...

Im a master tech at a bmw dealership and i will talk with the field service engineer and see if he can give me contact to ask about maybe hardwiring it..

clint
    How much money you willing to spend? Anything like this can be solved with $$$.

And I agree E46 is a very nice looker. Had a few here too. Would haul nice with an LS in the front .

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ZJM861 View Post

clint
    Its been done in UK!! See May edition of Redline Magazine (www.redlinemag.com)
    I believe this setup used a BMW ecu with a custom map for an LS3 V8 in the E36 BMW M3. (Look for an article entitled "Eight into Three"
    Last edited by ninjasta; 07-08-2011 at 06:46 AM. Reason: corrected URL