Thread: writing over trifecta

writing over trifecta

ok so ive been searching for a little and i couldnt find anything. I think i might have seen in one thread that writing over trifecta might brick the ecu, and i cant find that thread again. I was wondering if this is true. Also if i flash back to stock with the trifecta cable will that take care of the problem? Im asking for a friend i wrote over mine before i knew anything could happen, but idk if i was just lucky. Thanks.

Tuner in Training
    Sorry for not having an exact answer. Here's some info though....
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36017

Tuner in Training
    i saw on CSS.net that if you use the cable to flash to stock then you are able to have access.

yeah you can flash to stock with trifecta or write over it with a stock hp tuners file

Advanced Tuner
    The problem I've encountered with some of the cars when trying to overwrite or even read a trifecta tune on the 2.2L cars is that they were flashed as a totally different type of car.

Probably Vince just working with what he already had that worked.

I tried to read a 2.2L Cobalt, and HPTuners could not validate because the Cobalt was trying to tell us that it was a different year Saturn Ion. No big deal for the car, but a big deal to HPTuners when trying to verify the tune before letting me save it and modify it.

I have no idea if this will give you problems on other engines too with Trifecta.

Advanced Tuner
    I think you can write entire over the whole thing. IDK why you are trying to read a trifecta tune, its not going to work, you wont see anything.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by HNRClothing View Post
    I think you can write entire over the whole thing. IDK why you are trying to read a trifecta tune, its not going to work, you wont see anything.
    Because when the 2.2L support for HPTuners came out that was the only car I had near me. And I had to have some sort of initial tune to write with, or else where would have been nothing to modify to write on top of the trifecta tune.

Tuner in Training
    I did a write entire with no problem on my 2009 ss

Advanced Tuner
    ok that is what I thought you could do.

Thanks for the clarification.

I had the same problem. Vince had told me it wasnt locked but it was. Turns out I wasted credits licensing the PCM so I could try a write entire even with a matching os. So I got pissed since I didnt have the cables to flash back to stock.

I bought a ZZP 1.0 PCM which was tuned with HPT already and unlocked. Went from there.