Thread: Config AFR error in scanner.

Tuner in Training

Config AFR error in scanner.

I am having trouble setting up the AFR error
    I am using 2.23 beta
    LC-1 hooked up through the egr position
    The AFR agrees with the gauge so i have that setup properly.
    If I have the Stock AFR error in the table it will display properly but will not record. After the recording it shows parameter not supported, but during recording it shows properly. And it doesn't matter weather it is logged with the laptop or MPVI pro or not, the results are the same.
    I configured my own afr error 100*([USER.9004]-[SENS.121])/[SEN.121] this displays 100X% actual afr percent.
    Also tried 100*(([PID.2811]/.5)+10)-[SENS.121])/[SENS.121] this always displays 0%

Ask support for the latest version of the beta. I remember having this problem with older 2.23 builds.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Tuner in Training
    Found a solution,
    100*([USER.9004]-[SENS.121])/[SEN.121]
    Should be: 100*([USER.9004]-[SENS.121])/[SENS.121]
    It is a real new version, so I don't think that's it.
    The stock afr error would nt work.
    I plan on posting my step by step to get this working with a LC-1 through egr for both wide band and narrow band at the same time. Setting up the histograms afr error egr.
    Got it working 100% now.
    Wish I knew more about tuning.
    with the big cam, I had afr errors as high as 11-13% in the low rpm.
    just copied the error tables on to the VE tables and pasted special, add. Presto pretty good.
    Had some knock sensor issues around 6000 so I backed off the timing a little from stock.
    Going to try again this saturday. Running 92 octane. Thinking about av gas, don't want to run race fuel and ruin the o2l8 sensor.

Using a user defined PID for AFR error is a decent workaround. Actually I just noticed that I still have this bug as well. Built in Air Fuel Ratio Error goes unsupported after you close the log and re-open it. User defined AFR Error works. Only for wide band signals piped in through EGR or AC pressure. EIO logs are fine. I reported this a while ago.
    Bill Winters

Advanced Tuner
    I am not using beta I am using a AFX NGK wide band and I get pretty much -38% error across the board?? Running it though the a/c pressure sensor

My function string is 100*((([PID.7101].7142857140+9.11)-[SENS.121])/SENS.121]

Is this right?

Tuner in Training
    At the bottom of the pid list is a user defined that is your afr through ac. Use that it should be [USER.9004] or something like that., I tried everything. But this worked : 100*([USER.9004]-[SENS.121])/[SENS.121] can you post your config file. And we can take a look.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by o2l8 View Post
    At the bottom of the pid list is a user defined that is your afr through ac. Use that it should be [USER.9004] or something like that., I tried everything. But this worked : 100*([USER.9004]-[SENS.121])/[SENS.121] can you post your config file. And we can take a look.
    OK I tried 100*([USER.9005]-[SENS.121])/[SENS.121] as my custom afr is set to user 9005. And I got The this histogram is not comapatlbe wiht your vehicle error code.

So then I went back to the 100*((([PID.7101]/.714285714)+9.11)-[SENS.121])/[SENS.121] And still get -38% across the board??

Then I tried removing the brackets after +9.11 and it logs AFR error as .062%?? I think this is wrong though maybe that brckwet should be there?
    100*((([PID.7101]/.714285714)+9.11-[SENS.121])/[SENS.121]

I still don't understand why it doesn't work with 100*([USER.9005]-[SENS.121])/[SENS.121]

I posted my tune file used to log MAF lo, STFT LTFT, cat ovetemp protection, all turned off and VE tables disabled.

I also posted my log file when attempting to log with

100*((([PID.7101]/.714285714)+9.11)-[SENS.121])/[SENS.121]

I posted my config file as well.

Advanced Tuner
    Ok maybe I figured this out just need verification. Your right I think I should have USer.9004 instead of User.9005. USER.9004 is my air fuel ratio through the a/c from my wide band set to read as 16:1 Max lean, and 9:1 max rich....seems to run at 14.20:1-14.62:1 and 16:1 when coasting.

Is this right?

Advanced Tuner
    Updated config file, does this look right now??

Advanced Tuner
    ok I am so frustrated I must not have the sensor, histogram, or tune setup right for Maf tunning??

I am getting about 12-14 across the board. I Copy paste sepcial multiply by percent, and reflashed the new maf tables, and it runs so rich, allmost stalled I scene 9.8 on the wideband display!! And yet I still get allmost exactly the same 12-14 across the board??

How come the numbers don't change in the histo with the reflashed maf table, and why does it make it run so rich??

Also I am only running it for 10-15 minutes, then reflashing is this enough? I can go longer if need be, just want to see that I can actually make changes in the right direction??

It's allmost like I need to divide by special percent instead of multiply?? But there is no funtion for that?

This shouldn't be so complicted or take this long?? Something must be wrong?

Am I having problems beacuse I am doing the oposite most people do on here? Exapmle most people go larger cam, larger displacemnt, I m going smaller cam, smaller displacment.

In my mind I would need smaller numbers in my MAF table as I would be using less airflow wiht my small 4.8L small cam, then the stock tune mean for a 6.0L wiht mild cam. So far copy paste specail nets me larger numbers, in my Maf table, and therefore makes it run rich as hell!

I attacched more logs.

Advanced Tuner
    Ok so I went ahead and logged the MAF using STFT insted of my wideband this is the tune file log file, config file, and histo

Now shouldn't these values be the same as what I should be logging wiht my wideband? Watching my STFT Maf log, looks pretty good right, almost not worth changing?

Using my wideband shows 14 instead of -2 to -3 or so on the STFT method WTF???

Would need your "vcm scanner.cfg" file to look at your logs with AFR error. That is where the user defined PIDs are held.

You are logging WAY WAY too many PIDs!
    Bill Winters

Advanced Tuner
    I'll post up the files later, I think it is working properly now. Not sure what it was to many PIDs? Or the function screen.

how may PIDs can I run at the same time, and can I run more then one Histo? I'd like to run MAf lo and Maf Hi histo together?

Advanced Tuner
    These seem to work as far as I can tell? Tune file for MAF logging, lo MAF histo, config file, and log file.

Still don't know why I had problems at first.

Advanced Tuner
    here is my settings file.

So is a PID and sensor or just the ones I created. I see I am logging 51 sensors, says max allowed 56, is this part of my problem? I am allowed to use 56 aren't I?

Also I have problems wiht the scanner staying connected especailly while starting or if I accelorte or brake hard, is this beacsue I am logging to many sensors?

You can log a max of 56 but you are cutting your sampling rate in half logging that many. Click on the ? in the table view and search the help for "logging speed". you should create different configs to do different things with only the PIDs necessary to do whatever it is supposed to do. An idle config, open loop WOT AFR tuning config, closed loop fuel trim tuning config, misfire detection config, etc.
    Bill Winters

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater View Post
    You can log a max of 56 but you are cutting your sampling rate in half logging that many. Click on the ? in the table view and search the help for "logging speed". you should create different configs to do different things with only the PIDs necessary to do whatever it is supposed to do. An idle config, open loop WOT AFR tuning config, closed loop fuel trim tuning config, misfire detection config, etc.
    Is it possible That has to do with my connection problems as well? I wonder if HP tuners uses Can HI lo or serial data to read the data from the OBD port?

Donno but it's worth trying.
    Bill Winters