Thread: How do I weld the wide band bung in titanium exhaust

Tuner in Training

How do I weld the wide band bung in titanium exhaust

I have an 03 z06 with a cat back system from borla, I also have the mp112 intercooled magnacharger. I just got a new afx ngt setup for the wb 02 sensor. I have read that the 10-1 clock position but what do you do about placing it in the titanium and welding. Or.can I put it in the stock location of one of the old 02 sensors I know it will have a code but just to tune it with. I also read on hear that the 7 cylinder has a tendancy to run lead so if you just have one wideband put it on that side. Thanks for the help.
    03 Z06 Magnacharger, Borla stingers with XP Stainless Headers,KB Boostpump, 42 lbs injectors, 160 stat. CAI3.TPS Motorsports 427 Shifter. AFX Powerdex wide band. TIC clutch master.Monster stage3 with 18 lbs flyweel. AFX wideband. 10LBS boost. ALKYCONTROL methanol injection. DTE Trans Brace, Built MN6, NGK Iridium 7IX , 2 Bar MAP.
    [email protected]
    www.haysauto.com

The only titanium in a Z is the mufflers / cat back. The H-pipe is standard exhaust tubing, although the portion in front of the cats is double-walled, so make sure you get your drill at the correct angle before you start drilling. I'd mount a bung, since with boost, you probably want a full-time w/b anyway.

I found it easiest to mark the H-pipe, pull it, and drill it using a drill press. I put bungs in both sides, but after some testing, I use just the one in the driver's side.
    Best regards,
    Bill
    Silver 2003 C5 roadster, M6, Euro red/amber tails, Z06 Ti mufflers, Z06 2 cat H-pipe, Z06 airbox, and HPTuners s/w - available to any Corvette or other GM vehicle in Calgary, and also for Ford and Dodge products, including Cummins

Tuner in Training
    Bill,
    You just made my day. I was told that the whole exhaust sytem was that way on the titanium. I got the stock exhaust then the cat back from borla. That is great news. Hey the bung that came with that looks like its stainless. Is that a problem or could I just go get some at the muffler shop that would work better. ? Thanks maybe I could get this in this week end. I drive my car everyday. I appreciate your help.
    Regards
    Kelly
    03 Z06 Magnacharger, Borla stingers with XP Stainless Headers,KB Boostpump, 42 lbs injectors, 160 stat. CAI3.TPS Motorsports 427 Shifter. AFX Powerdex wide band. TIC clutch master.Monster stage3 with 18 lbs flyweel. AFX wideband. 10LBS boost. ALKYCONTROL methanol injection. DTE Trans Brace, Built MN6, NGK Iridium 7IX , 2 Bar MAP.
    [email protected]
    www.haysauto.com

I'm sure it's not stainless. Just a high quality piece of steel. Any muffler shop should be able to weld it on. Screw an old sparkplug in the bung so the plug end protrudes into the hole you've drilled. That will orientate the bung properly.
    Best regards,
    Bill
    Silver 2003 C5 roadster, M6, Euro red/amber tails, Z06 Ti mufflers, Z06 2 cat H-pipe, Z06 airbox, and HPTuners s/w - available to any Corvette or other GM vehicle in Calgary, and also for Ford and Dodge products, including Cummins

Installation can be from 9-3 o'clock with no issues. As close as possible to the factory sensors is best, and before the catalytic converters of course. You can use the factory locations, but you will need to run the car in open loop to do that properly. You really want the wideband for full throttle use anyways. You should see 11.50-12.00 with a proper tune during full throttle use, and an average of 14.6 during everything else.
    Make sure you calibrate the sensor as per the instructions.
    2001 Z06 - 417 LS3 - LPE CNC LS3 heads - LPE GT-11 cam - ARH 1 7/8" - LPE C6 intake - RPM 3.73 diff - tuned with HP Tuners
    2008 Silverado 5.3 - Dynatech LT headers - Volant Cool Air intake - 280whp/303wtq - tuned with HP Tuners

www.davenportmotorsports.com

Tuner in Training
    Thank you so much guys. I put the car on the rack and took a magnet to it and it was one wired puppy. The magnet stuck about 2" from the manifold and then the magnet wont stick again until the cats. So where I need t put it in is one of the non stick areas. So I guess i am going to pull the exhaust and drill a hole and use every thing I have here. Steel,Stainless, and aluminumn. On of then should do it. I got to say this simple little task has turned into a pain in the butt. I should of had this done a week a go. Thanks you so much for your assistance.
    Regards
    Kelly
    [email protected]
    www.haysauto.com