Thread: Question about upgrading to 2-bar OS.

Advanced Tuner

Question about upgrading to 2-bar OS.

I have a 2000 Trans Am, and about a year or so ago, I upgraded the OS to a 2002 f-body due to some of the benefits for tuning such as no secondary ve table, more resolution in the idle raf table etc. It was a good move but I didn't like that my VIN # no longer matched my car.

So now I am in the midst of installing a procharger and need to upgrade to a 2-bar OS, but was wondering if the 2-bar OS is the same for all years of f-bodies or if there is a difference like it is for 98s, then 99-00, and 01-02 model years.

If there is no difference, then I'd rather upgrade using my factory 2000 tune as I'd have my VIN match my car again. I know it's not a big deal, but it's one of those things that has always been a sore spot with me.

Thanks.
    2000 T/A - Thompson Motorsports 416ls3, F1A procharger, HP tuned. Just a couple psi of boost.
    2013 Mercedes C350, wish HPtuners worked.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    each 1 of ourr custom operating systems is based on stock operating system of the vehicle whatever's in the vehicle at that time is what we modify

so for instance if you're using operating system 9381444 we arent just taking a generic operating system and making it to fit for your vehicle we are using the original operating system and custom modifying thatjust for your vehicle
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    So in my case, I should simply add the 2-bar upgrade for my 2002 operating system?
    2000 T/A - Thompson Motorsports 416ls3, F1A procharger, HP tuned. Just a couple psi of boost.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    There are very FEW benefits to useing a 2002 2 bar custom operating system over a 2000 2 bar custom operating system.

Senior Tuner
    The way I understood Bill was: You are better off using your OEM 2000 file and apply the 2-BAR in order to keep your VIN matching ... for your scenario.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by 12secSS View Post
    The way I understood Bill was: You are better off using your OEM 2000 file and apply the 2-BAR in order to keep your VIN matching ... for your scenario.
    Your interpretation is correct

Potential Tuner
    I have my 2004 escalade and trying to play with some of the parameters anyway, i saw the OS what's the need to change the OS ? for example there is the 1 bar map 2 bar map 3 bar map 1 bar maf ?
    Good taste is the worst vice ever invented.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    The need would be if you are hitting the upper limits of the maf

The want would be RTT(real time tuning)

Advanced Tuner
    So I started updating my 2000 model year tune with my current 2002 model year tune so that I can then upgrade to the 2-bar setup.

Thanks for the help Bill.

Advanced Tuner
    Well, I got the car up and running, and discovered that the 2000 program is lacking some helpful things that were in the 2002 file, specifically the Rolling target idle field.

I had trouble last night keeping the car from stalling when coming to a stop. I've got to go back and double check lots of things to try and get that taken care of before I move on to anything else. It's hard to tune a car that constantly wants to turn off.

Advanced Tuner
    Am I missing something Bill. I was reading a thread and LsxPoweredZ posted that here that he got the newest beta and it added some additional tables for helping with idle tuning. http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showpo...5&postcount=19

I had those tables in my 2002 tune file, but since opening my old 2000 model year tune and upgraded it to a 2-bar OS, but I don't have those feilds.

Am I missing something here? I am using the latest version, I think, it's version 2.23.274.

I'm starting to think that I should have just upgraded the 2002 OS to a 2-bar OS, but I'm sure I'll get it figured out eventually.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Alchemist View Post
    Am I missing something Bill. I was reading a thread and LsxPoweredZ posted that here that he got the newest beta and it added some additional tables for helping with idle tuning. http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showpo...5&postcount=19

I had those tables in my 2002 tune file, but since opening my old 2000 model year tune and upgraded it to a 2-bar OS, but I don't have those feilds.

Am I missing something here? I am using the latest version, I think, it's version 2.23.274.

I'm starting to think that I should have just upgraded the 2002 OS to a 2-bar OS, but I'm sure I'll get it figured out eventually.
    What tables don't you have?

Advanced Tuner
    The rolling idle target rpm and Idle Integral add/sub tables to target/adapt idle airflow while rolling.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Email the files to support when you have a few minutes, along with your serial number and I'll have our gm engineer take a look when he has a moment

Advanced Tuner
    Done. Let me know if you need me to email anything else.