Thread: Cross Contamination - 6L80E in a Truck with Corvette Driver Shift Control

Tuner in Training LH6-DOD-54-GMC's Avatar

Cross Contamination - 6L80E in a Truck with Corvette Driver Shift Control

I'm doing initial planning on a pro-touring, air suspended, L9H 6.2L / 6L80E powered 1954 GMC Suburban. What I need help with is:

Is it possible to physically(?) and/or electronically(?) add the Corvette Driver Shift Control parameters into the truck version of the 6L80E? The goal is to have the torque/tow capacity/tow-haul mode of the truck while allowing the "driver to shift the transmission like a clutchless manual gearbox." I also want the (PAS) Performance Algorithm Shifting and Grade Braking.

I'm wondering if these functions are all electronic and can be "tuned" in to work together or if they are mechanical/hydraulic and not compatible with each other??

I am just now beginning to research this so don't flame me if I'm barking up the wrong tree. I already searched and didn't find anything addressing this.

Oh yeah, I'm also planning on running a Whipple Supercharger on this.

I would truly appreciate any educated info regarding this swap.

Senior Tuner
    You are asking if the TUTD (Tap Up, Tap Down) feature from the Y-Body will work on a truck 6L80E? All 6-series transmissions are capable of TUTD features, you just need the "switches" to work it. The truck has the up/down buttons on the colunm shifter, while the corvette/camaro have the TUTD levers behind the steering wheel.

Tuner in Training LH6-DOD-54-GMC's Avatar

Thanks 12secSS

So if I add the "switches" and wiring to the standalone harness the TUTD should work. I guess now I just have to study HOW the truck system works in comparison to the Corvette. Living in the mountains I'm not a big fan of manual transmissions. But for pro-touring style eventing I'm thinking a semi-auto system could work pretty good. Again, I'm new to this and have to start somewhere so asking questions is cheaper than stock piling parts that won't work together.

THANKS FOR REPLYING!!

In case you don't already know this, the TUTD shifts are quite slow and probably not what you are looking for. The shifter merely initiates the shift. The "shift" you feel is only part of the process. At full throttle I have to flick the shifter 1000+rpm before the redline to get it to shift before hitting the limiter. I really only use TUTD to hold the car in one gear for dyno pulls.
    1971 Corvette-LS3 swap with custom cam. Stainless headers and sheet metal intake built by the owner. 442rwhp.

2007 STS-V-Billet Precision 67mm turbo swap. 563rwhp@15psi.

1991 Camaro-6.0 swap with LS6 heads and custom cam. Headers and other swap bits fabricated by myself (wife's car)