Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Measuring boost with EIO input?

Tuner in Training

Measuring boost with EIO input?

I am wanting to measure boost on my scanner and noticed on a tutorial CEO the tuning school on how to set up a wideband when he right clicked on EIO there was a 3 bar map setup in there, then when he started up the scanner that "3 bar" was measuring boost. Is there a tutorial on how to do that or a link that I can't seem to find? I am running a 3 bar. Thanks

a 3 bar has a range of 43.5 psi.
    If it's linear from 0 to 5V then you would find the PID of your MAP (SENS.30) and write the formula for it like I mentioned in the last post in this thread.
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...nsducer&page=2

[SENS.30 /8.7]-14.5

If the voltage range of the 3-bar is .5-4.5v then the formula should be
    [SENS.30/10.875]-19.9375
    Hsquared racing engines RHS 427, Procharger F2, Moran Billet Atomizer injectors, Alky Control,Mast LS7 heads, Nitrous outlet kit,Tilton quad disc clutch, DSS shaft, RKT56 ZR1 trans, RPM Quaife diff. Built and tuned by yours truly.

Tuner in Training
    lurk

Advanced Tuner
    There is no need to use EIO to measure boost. You already have a map sensor which measures manifold absolute pressure in kpa. If you want to see it in psi, then simply make a calculation to convert kpa to psi where 100/105kpa equals essentially 0psi (no vacuum, no boost).
    2000 T/A - Thompson Motorsports 416ls3, F1A procharger, HP tuned. Just a couple psi of boost.
    2013 Mercedes C350, wish HPtuners worked.

Senior Tuner
    Follow along as I mouse to success:

Hp Tuners VCM Scanner > Table Display > Right Click blank box. > Insert > Double Click on Configure User Defined > Box will popup > Select # that is not being used, i.e. 4 > Name BOOST > Abbrv BOOST > Sensor Manifold Absolute Pressure > Units psi, now...

Up to this point all you have done is create a custom table reading the stock MAP sensor values exporting to a PID called BOOST as psi instead of normal MAP values in kpa. Now you need a formula to turn MAP sensor values into actual BOOST (psi).

Finish out:

Click on blue question mark next to the word Function on bottom left.

Think it thru...you want the MAP sensor or...

PID.11 for MAP sensor

to export values in psi (imperial) vs. kpa (metric)

.IMP

We want to subract 1 atmosphere or 14.5 from the Map sensor value because 1 atmosphere is 1 bar = 100kpa is 14.5 psi or 1 bar. Boost is anything over 1 bar.

OR

Copy paste this custom function string: [PID.11.IMP]-14.5

X out top right, yes to commit changes.

Right click again blank space on Table Display.

Tada...Boost is now an option YOU created!

Test, comment, update BOARD members here, and most of all enjoy!
    Last edited by Cantalope Kid; 12-12-2011 at 11:38 AM.
    Janky Monkey Tuning

Call or PM for tuning solutions.

Cell 210-954-4985

Wrench turning provided by 2 Tightwads Racing.

Tune your own? Start here ----> Open Editor ---> Hit F1...READ!

READ SOME MORE (Thank username 69Lt1bird): http://ls1tuningguide.com/

Still lost? Consult a Pro!

www.thetuningschool.com
    www.calibratedsuccess.com
    www.tunedbyfrost.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cantalope Kid View Post
    Follow along as I mouse to success:

Hp Tuners VCM Scanner > Table Display > Right Click blank box. > Insert > Double Click on Configure User Defined > Box will popup > Select # that is not being used, i.e. 4 > Name BOOST > Abbrv BOOST > Sensor Manifold Absolute Pressure > Units psi, now...

Up to this point all you have done is create a custom table reading the stock MAP sensor values exporting to a PID called BOOST as psi instead of normal MAP values in kpa. Now you need a formula to turn MAP sensor values into actual BOOST (psi).

Finish out:

Click on blue question mark next to the word Function on bottom left.

Think it thru...you want the MAP sensor or...

PID.11 for MAP sensor

to export values in psi (imperial) vs. kpa (metric)

.IMP

We want to subract 1 atmosphere or 14.5 from the Map sensor value because 1 atmosphere is 1 bar = 100kpa is 14.5 psi or 1 bar. Boost is anything over 1 bar.

OR

Copy paste this custom function string: [PID.11.IMP]-14.5

X out top right, yes to commit changes.

Right click again blank space on Table Display.

Tada...Boost is now an option YOU created!

Test, comment, update BOARD members here, and most of all enjoy!
    I'm curious why this example would use the PID for the MAP, and BlownBlueZ06's xample uses the Sensor (SENS.30).

I'm trying to wrap my head around what question do I need to ask myself when determining to use a Sensor or a PID while setting up an EIO input or a formula to define a new user defined PID in the table.

That write up looks perfect. Only thing I will say is in my experience you will run into problems if you define the custom Boost PID as a Manifold Air Pressure sensor. It throws off the regular built in MAP SENS/PID. I would recommend leaving the sensor field blank.

In this case it doesn't matter if you use the SENS or the PID. The only time it makes a difference is for something like O2 mV or fuel trims. The sensor is the average of the two PIDs.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater View Post
    That write up looks perfect. Only thing I will say is in my experience you will run into problems if you define the custom Boost PID as a Manifold Air Pressure sensor. It throws off the regular built in MAP SENS/PID. I would recommend leaving the sensor field blank.

In this case it doesn't matter if you use the SENS or the PID. The only time it makes a difference is for something like O2 mV or fuel trims. The sensor is the average of the two PIDs.
    Thanks for the feedback Bill.

For grins I set the sensor as a MAP sensor so I could see what you meant. It definately did mess w/ the MAP kpa readings. MAP output went from 60kpa at idle to over 200kpa at idle. Yeah, 15lbs of boost at idle did sound like a slightly messed up MAP reading.

Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

I am having an issue with my boost PID as well.
    I have tried the method in the help section of the scanner as well as the above, both with and without the MAP sensor set in the PID, with .IMP or .PSI etc.
    I either get an 'unsuported parameter' or 21-23 psi at idle

Any ideas?
    2006 CGM A4

Quote Originally Posted by 0352goat View Post
    I have tried the method in the help section of the scanner as well as the above, both with and without the MAP sensor set in the PID, with .IMP or .PSI etc.

Any ideas?
    I ended up creating a user defined parameter by converting from kPa to psi by using a formula like this:

([SENS.30]*.145)-14.5

It worked well.

2006 Z51 C6
    398ci LS3, TEA LS3 Heads, 230/246 .609”/.615” 115LSA, Callies, Diamond 9.5:1, Procharger F1C, A&A IC, LT 1-7/8" Headers, Corsa Sport, Aeromotive Eliminator, ID1000, RPM TR6060 & RPM Z06 Diff
    rwhp/rtrq: et@mph

Oh and as Bill mentioned above, DO NOT set the sensor field to Sensor: Manifold Absolute Pressure in the custom parameter setup. Leave it blank.

Name it and Abbrv what you want, set the units to PSI (basically just a label to show in your scanner).

2006 Z51 C6
    398ci LS3, TEA LS3 Heads, 230/246 .609”/.615” 115LSA, Callies, Diamond 9.5:1, Procharger F1C, A&A IC, LT 1-7/8" Headers, Corsa Sport, Aeromotive Eliminator, ID1000, RPM TR6060 & RPM Z06 Diff

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyb496 View Post
    I ended up creating a user defined parameter by converting from kPa to psi by using a formula like this:

([SENS.30]*.145)-14.5

It worked well.
    If I am using 2bar map, should I use the 2bar map PID vs sens.30 (map)?
    2006 CGM A4

Quote Originally Posted by 0352goat View Post

Any ideas?
    What OS are you running? 2 or 3 bar? Unsupported parameter means you haven't made the proper association between an item in the table and your PID. That includes not having put the sensor on the table to begin with.
    Hsquared racing engines RHS 427, Procharger F2, Moran Billet Atomizer injectors, Alky Control,Mast LS7 heads, Nitrous outlet kit,Tilton quad disc clutch, DSS shaft, RKT56 ZR1 trans, RPM Quaife diff. Built and tuned by yours truly.

2 bar, the unsupported issue is gone.
    2006 CGM A4

You have a 2bar MAP sensor. That should be providing the kPa signal to SENS.30.
    It should give SENS.30 accurate readings up to 2bar/200kPa... assuming you have the 2 bar MAP sensor calibrated correctly in the tune.

2006 Z51 C6

Okay, I'm sitting here watching a log and the 2 bar map pid doesn't move from 58.xx kPa. The standard map pid is working as it should. I know I am doing something wrong, just not sure what..
    I have two boost pid setups, trying to narrow down what works and what doesn't.
    *grumble*
    2006 CGM A4

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyb496 View Post
    You have a 2bar MAP sensor. That should be providing the kPa signal to SENS.30.
    It should give SENS.30 accurate readings up to 2bar/200kPa... assuming you have the 2 bar MAP sensor calibrated correctly in the tune.
    Makes sense. The MAP sensor is calibrated right, it's the scanner that always kicks my behind. I'm going to go try that
    2006 CGM A4

Looking at the User Defined Parameter "Boost" you have in the config.

Make the Sensor field blank

Make the Function equal to the formula ([SENS.30]*.145)-14.5

You can use PID.11 in place of SENS.30 if you want. I'd prefer to use SENS, but in this case it doesn't make a difference.

How does that work?

I would get rid of the 2 Bar Map - GM from the Auxillary Inputs. Those are for the four input on your MPVI, in this case you are not running a wire to your standalone that needs to be defined.

2006 Z51 C6

Standard atmospheric pressure is 14.7, not 14.5 and it is only 14.7 at sea level. The most accurate solution I have found is to use the barometric pressure PID. This way, your boost reading will always be accurate no matter where you are tuning. I am at 900 feet above sea level, my barometric pressure is 98 kpa or 14.2 psi.

([SENS.30]-[PID.51])/6.9 OR

([SENS.30]-[PID.51])*.145

If you don't have a PID for barometric pressure, you can turn the ignition on/car off and see what the map sensor reading is. That will be your barometric pressure and you can put that number in place of PID.51.
    Last edited by 2000C-5; 10-08-2012 at 06:07 PM.