Thread: Can I get some input on a baseline startup tune file for my turbo trans am

Tuner in Training

turbo trans am base tune opinions *now with scan*

EDIT LOG/SCAN POSTED BELOW

I have gotten my turbo kit on my 99 trans am and about going to swap fuel systems and tune shortly. The car currently has a front mount 70mm turbo kit on a basically stock motor. Right now there is a 6-7lb spring in the tial wastegate and the fuel system consists of 60# injectors and dual 255 pumps (2nd will be on hobbs switch). I made this file as a startup and then based on logs, my wideband, boost and fuel pressure gauge I plan on dialing in the car.

Notes I have for this file, started with a stock file:

Modified High octane spark advance
    -lowered overall top end high throttle timing, kept mid range throttle timing moderate
    Low octane spark advance
    -Lowered timing overall
    -Flow rate vs KPA modified for 60# injectors
    -Lowered hot PE Table Values
    -Bumped PE Multiplyer to 1.2XX for AF in the 11’s
    -Extended MAF airflow vs Output so 12000 = 512 g/sec
    -Fans to stay on for 120 secconds when 200* +
    -Lowered fan turn on temperatures

Is there anything that I missed in regards to tuning for the injectors? Do you guys see anything that seems out of wack or you would reccomend changing for my setup? I haven't touched the DTC's yet. I have tuned FI cars before but they were obd1 so this is my first stab doing it all through the computer.

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!
    Last edited by boost21; 06-13-2011 at 06:28 PM.

Max out your Torque management values in the general tab.
    Just brushing through the rest looks ok.
    Hsquared racing engines RHS 427, Procharger F2, Moran Billet Atomizer injectors, Alky Control,Mast LS7 heads, Nitrous outlet kit,Tilton quad disc clutch, DSS shaft, RKT56 ZR1 trans, RPM Quaife diff. Built and tuned by yours truly.

Tuner in Training
    I don't have my laptop and the hpt with me but what would the max values be and how would changing the values affect the tune? Is this just so the computer knows more torque then the ratings gm set are being produced?

Thanks for the input btw! I just want some feedback before loading this and making my first major changes to the ecm via hpt. This file was produced by studying similar files, previous experience/knowledge and a lot of reading. I have a good idea of what needs to be done tune wise from ast cars but the hpt language is still kinda fresh for me.

640 on one and on the big table, click in the upper left hand corner to highlight the entire table, put 9999 in the open space at the top and click =
    It will default the the max value.
    Hsquared racing engines RHS 427, Procharger F2, Moran Billet Atomizer injectors, Alky Control,Mast LS7 heads, Nitrous outlet kit,Tilton quad disc clutch, DSS shaft, RKT56 ZR1 trans, RPM Quaife diff. Built and tuned by yours truly.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks, I changed the max torque value to 640 ft/lbs and then the table of "rpm vs gear" has 640 for all values.

Anyone else notice anything funky or that I may have missed? I will be swapping the injectors and fuel pump tomorrow and would feel a little better having a 2nd opinion before loading these changes to my car.

Tuner in Training
    Just an update, loaded the tune on the car today and it runs great! A little on the rich side but thats what I wanted. I will need to lean out idle afr's a bit and a few other things and I think the car will suit my needs for a little while.

When you get your first scan post it up. Also your .cfg so we can read it. Good luck on the tune.
    1999 Trans Am, Automatic 60lb injectors, 255lph fuel pump, LS6 intake, P1SC Intercooled, trans cooler, polly motor/trans mounts, sway bars, subframe connectors, adj. Torque arm, Moser 12 bolt w/3.42 gears, pacetter longtubes....

Tuner in Training
    Heres a quick pull, I only was at a couple #'s of boost during it. The car runs a bit rich at idle (12-13.8:1) and then sometimes has a backfire after a pull in boost. IIRC it goes lean for a split moment after going back to vaccume. Any tips or ideas how to correct these issues? I am guessing for the afr in idel I would need to change my low rpm pe multiplier?

If you're in decel, don't concern yourself with being lean. The backfire could be a little residual fuel from you shutting it down after blowing giant wads of fuel in it. I blow 2 foot flames out my exhaust when shutting down from a WOT run.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for all the input z06, you have been really helpful. I have yet to do a wot pull with the car yet, I really want to get the tune very close. I think today I am going to try to adjust the lower rpm pe values to lean out idel afr. Until the car warms up the afr's are in the 12-13.5 range and warmed up its in the 12.5-15 range. I would like to get it more consistant. If I bump it into neutral iirc it gets even richer. Afr's when givng it a load and when in boost seem to be in a safe range. Are there any trans adjustments that might help out. Right now its the stock config and I would like to help it out. I have noticed under boost occasionally it takes what I feel a little longer then normal to shift. I haven't really been on it for more then a seccond so this isn't something I have observed as a problem but if there is anything reccomended I should do before doing a wot run with a up shift im.all ears.

You need to change more than ifr table, thos 60s have diffrent timing than your stock injectors

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by copley87blazer View Post
    You need to change more than ifr table, thos 60s have diffrent timing than your stock injectors
    Would that just help in the fine tuning part since my afr's arent too far off? How would I go about finding out what they should pulse at? I'm pretty sure the data sheet for them doesen't say anything and from what I read the ls1 injectors spray in a reference to the crank.
    Last edited by boost21; 06-15-2011 at 01:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by boost21 View Post
    Thanks for all the input z06, you have been really helpful. I have yet to do a wot pull with the car yet, I really want to get the tune very close. I think today I am going to try to adjust the lower rpm pe values to lean out idel afr. Until the car warms up the afr's are in the 12-13.5 range and warmed up its in the 12.5-15 range. I would like to get it more consistant. If I bump it into neutral iirc it gets even richer. Afr's when givng it a load and when in boost seem to be in a safe range. Are there any trans adjustments that might help out. Right now its the stock config and I would like to help it out. I have noticed under boost occasionally it takes what I feel a little longer then normal to shift. I haven't really been on it for more then a seccond so this isn't something I have observed as a problem but if there is anything reccomended I should do before doing a wot run with a up shift im.all ears.
    if it's taking longer to shift under boost, your trans probably won't last long through WOT pulls. I'm not an automatic tuner and leave most things alone when tuning them unless it's been to a reputable builder for all the goodies and pressure boosts. Then I may tweak some.

If when the car is warming up and not in closed loop it's rich, then lower the values in the OLFA table. I like to make sure all of the values in the OLFA from ~154 up are 1.0 and all of the values below that temp are the same in each vertical column.