Thread: Wideband readout to HPT scanner readout accuracy?

Wideband readout to HPT scanner readout accuracy?

How do you check the accuracy? Do they need to be exactly the same or close? If close, how close?

Thanks
    Sherman

Not one person knows how to check accuracy between your wideband readout and what HPT scanner shows?

Advanced Tuner
    Does your wideband have a gauge? Have you read the how to on setting up a wideband for HPT?
    04 Velocity MKII M6 & 06 BF F6 555 ZF6

Quote Originally Posted by hiddeous View Post
    Does your wideband have a gauge? Have you read the how to on setting up a wideband for HPT?
    Yes, I have a NGK AFX and have it plugged in and reading AFR with the voltage and offset good for my setup ( I think ).
    I hate just guessing and "Hoping" that the AFX and the scanner are reading the same thing. At one point I had what I thought was the AFX within .5 accuracy of what the scanner was showing. But my car was running so rich I could smell gas after I calibrated the Maf and the VE using AFR error and getting within 1-2% on the Maf and VE tables. So I recalibrated the AFX ( 45min open air hooked up to a battery to heat it) to see if maybe that was the problem. Same thing happened. Running rich. So I went and adjusted the voltage and offset again to MAKE the scanner and AFX show the same thing. Same thing. Running rich. All the AFR errors were 3% or lower.

I started tuning to lambda and I have my fueling for the MAF and VE really close according to the Lambda method. I have another thread asking about Lambda error. Now if I go back in to Open loop and disable everything like I was going to tune the Maf using AFR Error, I get a 15.1 AFR error. It should read close to 14.5 ( Stoich for the AFX ).I no longer smell gas and my Catalytic converter isn't trying to melt off my car and my car is running really good.
    How do you know if the Scanner is really showing what the WideBand is sensing? Use the AFX's readout and compare it to the Scanner?

Thanks
    Sherman

The easy answer is take digital pics of the AFX and HPT and see how they match up. If you want to get fancy about it then: http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24181
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Thanks 5LE. I searched and find that thread. That thread is a wealth of info.
    Thanks
    Sherman

Senior Tuner
    Mind you, the display (refresh) rate of the scanner vs the controller display may be different, so you will never get them to read exactly the same. So long as they are within a comfortable range for you is the key.

Quote Originally Posted by 12secSS View Post
    Mind you, the display (refresh) rate of the scanner vs the controller display may be different, so you will never get them to read exactly the same. So long as they are within a comfortable range for you is the key.
    That's good to know. I am some what of a perfectionist and would go crazy trying to get them both to read the same.
    Thanks
    Sherman.

I also am a perfectionist and if you search my posts you will find an excel spreadsheet that will setup the AFX to read identical to the scanner. The thing nobody accounts for is you must take into consideration the AFX stoich ratio (14.57) and the stoich ratio in your tune. If you use 14.68 as your stoich ratio you don't want the AFX to read 14.68 when the scanner does! Remember stoich is 14.57 on the AFX so when the scanner reads 14.68 the AFX should read 14.57 to be stoich.

My spreadsheet solves all this for you.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Quote Originally Posted by LSxpwrdZ View Post
    I also am a perfectionist and if you search my posts you will find an excel spreadsheet that will setup the AFX to read identical to the scanner. The thing nobody accounts for is you must take into consideration the AFX stoich ratio (14.57) and the stoich ratio in your tune. If you use 14.68 as your stoich ratio you don't want the AFX to read 14.68 when the scanner does! Remember stoich is 14.57 on the AFX so when the scanner reads 14.68 the AFX should read 14.57 to be stoich.

My spreadsheet solves all this for you.
    Got it and trying it out this evening. Why isn't this STICKIED?

Thanks
    Sherman