Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Test Spraying Alky Control Meth

First Test Spraying Alky Control Meth

I've finished installing my Alky Control kit and took a scan of it. I wasn't sure whether the IAT would drop enough and/or quickly enough to be able to add timing and have it removed in case of a meth failure. I'm using 100% VP M1 meth through two nozzles (one M10 and one M15) that are ~2" ahead of an LS3/7 card style MAF which is ~8-10" away from the throttle body. I run a 2 bar SD tune so I don't care that I'm spraying through the MAF. I do see a P0102 (MAF low frequency) DTC when I spray if good. The controller is set to the defaults for turn on and initial. The first stab can be seen from fram 4079 to frame 4174. This run was done with the remote controller's gain set at 5. IAT drops from 88 (which is what the ambient was) to ~66 starting at ~6.5 PSI. Next I increased the gain to 8. This is from frames 6495 to 6580. IAT started dropping at ~5 PSI and got as low as 61. Next I turned the gain down to 3: frames 7579 to 7648. IATs only dropped to 70. In all three runs the WB dropped to low 11's. Not sure if you guys can see that in the log due to piping it through the AC pressure sensor.

So I need to drop the turn on pressure so it kicks in closer to 3-4 PSI and I know more gain lowers my IAT more. Still have yet to play with the initial pressure. I'm curious how much the gain and/or initial will change dyno results. I think it will depend more on how much gain allows me to add how much timing. I now know for sure that I can edit my IAT spark base table in the upper g/cyl and lower IAT range to add timing and it will automatically be removed when IAT's get higher should the meth fail or I run out. So for me it would be adding timing at <=70 degrees IAT. Now in the winter its not as save but in Houston ambient temps aren't lower than 70 for very long over the course of the year and if the meth were to fail with ambient of 65 the non-meth boosted IAT would be >70 in a hurry. Guys in parts of the country where they actually have seasons....not sure what to tell you. Thats the price you pay for nice weather.

Also attached is a log of the meth turned off (meth-home). Frames 6680-6779. IAT went from 88 to 108, short shifting at 5500. Ignore the AFR's on that log because for reasons I cant explain, HPT read about a point leaner than the AEM gauge on the way home even though I calibrated the offset before the first log and it was spot on...My offset seems to change at random. I need to make sure it's good before each log.

Last edited by 5_Liter_Eater; 08-05-2010 at 08:06 AM.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

So here is what I plan to do with my timing. The only way I'd run into trouble is if its the dead of winter and the meth fails I may see IATs in the 60's even if the meth fails. I can't think of a better way to do it though.
    Last edited by 5_Liter_Eater; 08-05-2010 at 01:04 PM.
    Bill Winters

Lol I was looking at the log wondering man this must have been taken several months ago to have ambient 80* lol. It did get pretty cool last night though. Glad you posted this info up since my buddy is about to install a meth kit on his 1500HD with TVS1900. Pretty cool to see how much the IAT drops in an instant. When do you think you'll be able to dyno? I'm curious what just the drop in IAT nets you, let alone the ability to add the 3* of timing while in boost/meth.
    '20 AT4
    '01 Suburban 2500 Dad Wagon

Not sure when I'll dyno but I expect to crack 700 RW with the additional timing and lower IATs. I doubt I'll do a pull with 14 degrees timing like I have now. I do want to play with the initial and ramp rate on the dyno to see the difference though.

I think my blackberry app said it was 90 out but my IAT was reading 88. The IAT cal may be a few degrees off.
    Bill Winters

Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater View Post
    Not sure when I'll dyno but I expect to crack 700 RW with the additional timing and lower IATs. I doubt I'll do a pull with 14 degrees timing like I have now. I do want to play with the initial and ramp rate on the dyno to see the difference though.

I think my blackberry app said it was 90 out but my IAT was reading 88. The IAT cal may be a few degrees off.
    700rwhp would be pretty nice. Does the butt dyno show any difference right now? I can't wait for cooler weather, this 90* at night BS drives me crazy.
    '20 AT4

A little on the butt dyno but not huge. I haven't added the timing yet however it was enough to pull on what I belive was a blown C6 Z06 last Sunday on the Fort Bend tollway. I expect a big difference with the extra three degrees.
    Bill Winters

Ha awesome, street racin's bad mmkay :P

I wish I could pull on a C6 Z06, maybe someday in my S10
    '20 AT4

glad to hear your progress

384whp/303wtq
    Built 2.0LSJ: TVS w/2.6, 1000cc, Stage 2 cams, custom fuel system, E85, Dual Pass, 3"intake, 3" Catless exhaust, CIA midlength Header

Advanced Tuner
    after adding meth, id hope you could add more than just 3 degrees. also, since your using an ls7 card maf, did you re-calibrate the IAT sensor?

What are you gonna do about the afr being so rich?

-Carl

I'm going to see if more than ~18 degrees is possible or adds much more power but I had a thread on CF about it and the general consensus was ~18 max. Maybe more on an LS1/6 but the 4th gens don't like as much timing. We'll see.

Yea I re-cal'ed the IAT but I think it can get closer. I want to take it out and do some tests subjecting it and a thermometer to different temps.

I don't plan on doing anything about it. Without the meth it's ~11.5:1 (the meth-home log does not have accurate AFR data) and with the meth it goes to low 11's, high 10's. General consensus is not to play with the AFR, just let the meth allow it to go rich. I know of a few people who are leaning it back out but at that point you become dependent on the meth as a fuel. When I dyno I plan on playing with the initial and gain knobs to see what allows the most timing and makes the most power. Then I'll do a few runs leaning it back out to 11.5ish and see if that picks up more power. All really depends though because once I pass the 700 mark I really don't want to push it much further. ECS has multiple threads about cars just like mine where they remove the restrictor plate, spray the meth and add a few degrees of timing and crack 700.
    Bill Winters

Honestly on the street 700rw is plenty and any more would be useless unless the suspension/tires could handle it. I'm really curious what you come up with as results. You make it out to any meets here in Houston Bill?
    '20 AT4

I've got R compounds on it but I agree, there is no need for any more. At least until I build a forged short block.

Na, I really don't get out much. I maybe make one meet a quarter (dyno day, cars and coffe, etc.). I only get out to the track once or twice a year.
    Bill Winters

Ah nice, good tires are worth every penny when over 500rwhp lol.

Hey forged shortblocks are cheaper than you'd think, then you can just spray it too to make 800 for shits and giggles
    '20 AT4

hey by the way, check out dfwgmelite.com, we are about to merge with several other gm enthusiest sites all throughout texas

384whp/303wtq
    Built 2.0LSJ: TVS w/2.6, 1000cc, Stage 2 cams, custom fuel system, E85, Dual Pass, 3"intake, 3" Catless exhaust, CIA midlength Header

Actually went out to coffee and cars this morning, I was rather impressed with the quality of the vettes that turn out. Didn't see any C6's with a Paxton though
    '20 AT4

Bill I like the idea of adding timing with this table and just leaving the main spark tables alone. Seems this worked out great for you considering your power output

Question is when do you start making boost? My Centri setup starts at 2,000 rpms. Still trying to find relationship between Cylinder airmass and power out. I know the high the number the more air volume. I see that on the tune file you sent me that you start adding timing at .80 + but I am trying to figure out where that is on the rpm band?

Maybe an equation?

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

You're thinking too hard. Just do a pull and see where you are in the spark map when the boost is greater than the pressure the meth comes in at. This assumes you have a 2+ bar MAP.
    Bill Winters

Still running the Gm 85mm Z06 MAF (LS6 unit) but I am really thinking about SD just don know yet

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

what do u thinks guys if this used in NA engine ..any gains ?!
    specialize in: V8 Conversion & Tuning (UAE- DUBAI)
    supercharge installation
    Salah clutches for Nissan, Toyota and GM car

Advanced Tuner
    there will be gains, but not worth it IMHO