Thread: Rented a dyno any thoughts tips?

Tuner

Rented a dyno any thoughts tips?

Hey guys
    I rented a dyno to do my wot tuning.

My setup is
    Oe ls2 6.0 Gto m6
    Etp215
    Fast 102
    236 240 .629 .615 110lsa
    Udp
    Otr intake
    Catless stepped headers
    2.5 catback

It's a sd tune my part throttle is pretty much in line
    Idles good at 900
    I tried my hardest for 800 but just doesnt like 800 for stabilty.

Drivability is ok bucks under 1800, have a solution to lean out that area and tested the theory and it works, just need to dial it in a bit better.

My question is for sd tune should I tune up to 5000 rpm part throttle area in the ve?
    I spend most the time driving under 4000rpm and it is generally dialed in within 5 percent.

I rented it for an hour to do the wot I'm currently a little lean but no knock
    Can I dial this in within an hour?

Seems like all I really need is a little steady state polishing along with wot.

Never rented a dyno or have been on one
    So any tips to help make my 1 hr worthy will be appreciated.

Could go for 2 if necessary.

What should I watch on my dyno readings so I can make adjustments?

Tuner in Training
    Make sure all your histograms are ready before going to the dyno and have your laptop out and ready. Time is money so I come as ready as possible.

Make sure all of your fueling is correct before working on idle and part throttle airflow bucking issues.

Just be patient and make small changes at a time and save each change as a new tune such as idle1, then idle2 so on and so forth. If you need more than one hour so be it, it will be worth it for an overall better driving experience.

Tuner in Training
    How you tune depends on the type of dyno. With a Dynojet, it is difficult to dial in certain rpm ranges since a WOT sweep is so quick.

One Dynojet WOT method is to have all your tunes set up before hand.
    Start with three files with different AFRs, ie. 12.4, 12.6, 13.0 and timing around 22
    Then with whichever AFR file gives the best results, use that AFR and vary timing.
    Let’s assume 12.4 is best, then add 2 degrees of timing for each successive run.
    So, the next 3 runs would be an AFR of 12.4 with timing at 24, 26, and finally 28.

Using this approach you need 9 files created prior to arriving at the dyno and you need to get 6 runs in within an hour on the dyno. Be sure to log all your runs and label the logs to correspond with each dyno run. Ask the dyno operator for the runs in tabular form (100 rpm increments) as well as the graphs. Also ask him (bring a flash drive) for the Dynojet WinPEP File for each run. You can view/examine these files later using Dynojet’s software at home.

File 1: AFR 12.4 timing 22
    File 2: AFR 12.6 timing 22
    File 3: AFR 13.0 timing 22
    File 4: AFR 12.4 timing 24
    File 5: AFR 12.4 timing 26
    File 6: AFR 12.4 timing 28
    File 7: AFR 12.6 timing 24
    File 8: AFR 12.6 timing 26
    File 9: AFR 12.6 timing 28
    File 7: AFR 13.0 timing 24
    File 8: AFR 13.0 timing 26
    File 9: AFR 13.0 timing 28