Thread: methods of modifying and setting TIMING?

Lightbulb methods of modifying and setting TIMING?

hey guys iv dialed in my MAF and VE pretty damn good and am going to start playing around with the HO tables. i wanted to know what kinds of methods/shortcuts you guys use to tweak the tables. does one just highlight the entire table and add a degree at a time, or does one highlight certain parts of the table and do that. also how does one use the spark advance table in the HISTOS? im a lil lost on that.

thx guys,
    Tom
    2002 WS6 M6

fast toyz lid, descreened MAF, smooth air bellow, prc springs, Torquer V2, jet hot LTs, hooker ory, LM1 powerflo, ls7 clutch, 42 ford greenies, 3.73 Moser 12- Bolt.

bump...
    2002 WS6 M6

fast toyz lid, descreened MAF, smooth air bellow, prc springs, Torquer V2, jet hot LTs, hooker ory, LM1 powerflo, ls7 clutch, 42 ford greenies, 3.73 Moser 12- Bolt.

Advanced Tuner
    well since you havent gotten any replies yet i will share what i have done good ,bad ,or indifferent

I add 2* at a time in areas with no kr until kr shows up then I stay away from the area with kr

I end up concentrating my efforts in 2 areas. WOT timing in my case since I work with boosted applications .92 cyl airmass column is where I fight the kr vs. timing battle primarily

the other place I concentrate on is cruise rpm , I commute about 1,000 miles a week on rt.95 where i typically travel 72-75 mph and spend almost all my time in a couple cells right around 2000 rpm

what will work for you probably depends on your driving habits also but I feel the key is dont add too much timing without scanning in different weather conditions and tanks of fuel to verify that your timing adjustments are not too aggressive to run regularly
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

I'd download some tunes from the repository and see what others are running and how their tables look like.

Load up on timing leading up to peak torque, lower it at peak torque and then ramp it up again to redline. A good timing curve should look like the inverse of a torque curve on a dyno graph.

Here's a shot of mine for a bolt on ls2, your ls1 should not be quite that high but you get the idea of how a timing table should look like. This was verified on a dyno.

Tuner
    ^^^Very interesting info. Makes perfect sense!
    2004 PBM M6 GTO
    Torquer v.2, Lingenfelter 243s, FAST 90, PTM 92, SVO greentops, SS OTRCAI, SLP LTs, Powerbond UDP

very interesting indeed thx for the advice.
    2002 WS6 M6

Just wondering here... Are you using 0* above 7200 to act like an ignition cut or what is your reasoning for doing that.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Tuner
    For his or her application,they don't rev the engine that high.Could have set the rev limiter at 6600RPM for an example.No need to play with the timing table at 7200+RPM.

Okay I didn't know, I thought you might be on to something there. Most of the tunes I do don't rev past 67-6800rpm either but I normally just continue the slope of raising the timing slightly on out to the highest RPM bound. Just makes the map "look" normal, but like you said you could put 1000 there and it wont matter cause it will never see that part of the table.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Senior Tuner
    EFI, I would assume this table has your Spark Correction (gas) table zeroed out?

The reasoning for no spark at such high rpms is because my engine will never get there, so there's no point in even bothering with it. I have shiftpoints as high as 6500, and fuel cutoff and other rpm limitations at 6800 or so, so it will never see those cells.

Also, yes I zeroed out that table and any other spark adjustments. The only other table I believe that adjusts spark is the IAT temp.

Is it a good idea to zero out other the spark correction tables besides IAT temp?
    Criminal Motorsports Racing

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by oscareltemblo View Post
    Is it a good idea to zero out other the spark correction tables besides IAT temp?
    Never had a problem and mine has been zeroed out over a year now. I do have my IAT still fairly conservative. I got into some KR with a reduced table above 104* IAT during some 90+ ambient temps.

Wanted to bring this back.
    So I have my high octane and Low octane tables set at the moment and since I am running Meth I have the IAT Base table set as well to my liking.

So I should zero out the ECT Spark, Cat lightoff (start up correction)?
    EGR and AFR spark correction have already been zeroed out.

Opinions/thoughts?

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C