Thread: Newbie Here! Question about 09 5.3 6L80e.. Where to start?

Potential Tuner

Newbie Here! Question about 09 5.3 6L80e.. Where to start?

Hi everyone.

New guy here.. I've been reading and reading and finally got the courage to do my first post for help. Not sure if this is the correct place to post my question..

I'm currently in the planning and gathering stages of my 09 5.3L 6L80e swap into a 1940 Oldsmobile street rod.

I have a 5.3L LY5 motor out of a 09 Silverado and a 6L80e 2WD out of a silverado too. It has the engine harness complete.. Looks like it has the connectors for a 4L60e too..
    E38 ecu
    Ls2 intake/fuel/injectors/throttle body.

I'm planning to put a mild cam in it, when I remove the VVT and AFM.

What should be my first step for the ECU ? Do I flash it with a Program that can run the LS2 intake and 6l80e and if so what would you recommend as a good base program and tune to just get the car running and driving.

I plan to buy HP Tuner so I can learn how to do all this flashing and tunning myself...

Thanks in Advance for the help

Allen

Tuner in Training
    Get HPTuners Pro and a wide band O2 sensor (easier to interface with the Pro box). I've got the LM-1 and like it a lot; a lot of guys swear by the AFX.

Then tune it. Plenty of open source (free) guides on the internet (LS1 Tuning Guide, LS2 Tuning Guide)...all pretty worthwhile. Grab an EFI tuning book, too (Banish). Nothing to it, but to do it. All else fails, ask a question on the forum.
    07 Z06. Stock LS7 Bottom-end, Katech Torquer 110, ARH LTs w/Cats, Halltech KBII CAI w/Beehive, 160* t-stat.