Thread: L99 Camaro timing/tuning strategy?

L99 Camaro timing/tuning strategy?

I've read a few threads on here and without a doubt, these camaro's don't run nearly as strong as they should. Both my brother and pop's have identical cars and they both run "really slow".

I wanted to see if anyone had any tips/tricks or a tried strategy to tuning the timing in these cars to wake them up again. I have no logs yet but you can feel that they are really held back, especially off the line. I don't know if it's TM holding the torque back, the computer pulling timing or a combination of the two.

thanks guys!

Cut about 1000lbs of metal out of the car if you want results from a stock powerplant.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    Cut about 1000lbs of metal out of the car if you want results from a stock powerplant.
    I should make this my new sig. Only 2 door sports cars I would take now is a vette because of the weight of both the camaros and mustangs. If I want a 4000 lb car it is going to be a G8.
    Regards,

Brian Turner

Dyno Tune Motorsports
    Dyno Tuning and Remote Tuning For Ford - GM - Chrysler Vehicles

Click Here For Dyno Tune Motorsports

1988 Ford Mustang GT INCON Systems TT
    331 Cubic Inches - Corn - 808 RWHP 918 RWTQ

Hopefully the new alpha platform will drop enough weight to wake the car up.

Advanced Tuner
    on the l99 cars, turning off the AFM will help with the low end power. when you transfer from crusing in 4 cyl mode to WOT in 8 cyl mode, there is a large timing drop as the ecu catches up and transfers into 8 cyl mode.

Thanks. Since the VVT is something new I wanted to see what was the most effective way to maximize it.

Is the VVT also active during WOT or is it specific to part throttle/cruise/steady state driving?

Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Chassis Dyno View Post
    I should make this my new sig. Only 2 door sports cars I would take now is a vette because of the weight of both the camaros and mustangs. If I want a 4000 lb car it is going to be a G8.
    Smart man.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

VVT as far as I know is constantly adjusted to make GM's "Suggested power" at whatever RPM it's at versus fuel versus altitude. There is alot of crap to be done to one of those tunes though concerning fueling, the addition of more timing, blah blah blah. It just takes time. I suggest making a custom CAI for it to pull from the Coldest spot you can find to put one. Preferably in the path of Airflow from the outside of the car. Then retune your MAF and IAT spark tables. This will help a bunch, for not a great deal of time or money.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

Thanks. I'm going to scan the car(s) tomorrow and check it out. I figured it would be a tad more complex with the new VVT but I'm in no hurry.

Got the file. Stock L99 with a rotofab CAI. I logged IAT, quickly, at idle and the stayed pretty stable with extended idling and rev's in neutral/park. Compared to the C6 Z06 which IAT's climb drastically at idle I'm thinking the CAI is doing it's job.

Question: Will there be any major/moderate changes needed to the MAF/VE tables with just an intake and just focus on fuel/timing or will I need to adjust the airflow values?

My IATs don't climb at idle, but I run a Haltech intake. I'm sure they'll skyrocket at idle with my TT setup though.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Tuner
    A trans tune gets instant smile result. Follow up with a gear change. The 3.45 from a LS3/M6 works well - and 3.73s are even better.

Funny, my brother asked about getting his trans tuned first. I'll look into it... thanks.

I have a stock intake in the c6 z06 and the IAT's climb quickly.

Advanced Tuner
    I agree with RogerRamjet. ... my G8 GXP has the 3.70 rear end (and an M6) and thats what makes that car quick. :-)

-Laz