Thread: New to Tuning...Input needed on a tune

Potential Tuner

New to Tuning...Input needed on a tune

New to tuning just got the HP Tuner & the Tuning school manuals. Have been reading, trying to learn how to things work. I ordered the Greg Banish books yesterday to see if they would help.

I have included the tune and a couple scans on a 2011 Camaro 7.0L 6spd auto with a Kenne Bell 3.6 supercharger. The car loads up at idle after warm up, the trans drags out the shifts & flares upshifts with the paddles. It seems like it hits the rev limiter on upshifts in auto. The owner says it is worse with the traction control on, but I looked in the tune and it appears to be disabled?

I do not have a wideband O2 yet, I know I need that so I can get the AFR readings. At this point I am just looking at the tune and trying to make some scans to get familiar with the tuner. I tried to make a boost PID following the steps in the manual, but it did not work, it also messed up the map reading. I see others on the forum had the same problem. I also tried some of the function strings off from the forum, but got a parameter not supported error.

Anyone care to look at the tune and scans and give some input?

Tuner in Training
    Transmission: I haven't tuned a 6-spd auto, but attached is what I use for an A4; maybe you can modify to fit your application. I had similar problems after erroneously adjusting my Shift MPH table and switching from 3.73s to 4.56s. Sounds like the computer is getting conflicting information from your transmission tables.

Engine: Your FTs are off...means your VE and/or MAF is off. Get VE 3.5 (sometimes called "Bluecat")...it's great, and free. Being FI, you're taking quite a risk running that thing without a WB O2. Personally, I'd park it until you do...I'm pretty conservative though.

Good luck!
    07 Z06. Stock LS7 Bottom-end, Katech Torquer 110, ARH LTs w/Cats, Halltech KBII CAI w/Beehive, 160* t-stat.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the info... any suggestions on a WB o2?

Tuner in Training
    I've used the Innovate LC-1 before and it seemed to work fine, but I currently have the NGK AFX. The reviews that I read seem to indicate that the AFX is more accurate, but it's hard to tell the difference as an end user. The cost difference is small so I would recommend that you just go with the AFX.
    -- J.

2007 Z06, Haltech KBII intake, Katech torquer cam, Kooks 1 7/8 headers and Corsa exhaust (with cats)

Tuner in Training
    I bought the LM-1 for $150 off a buddy that got an LM-2...I hear you can't get those anymore. Then he turned around and got an AFX because he didn't like the LM-2.

Everyone raves about the AFX. I have two buddies that work in my office with AFXs, and they love them. Only draw back is no stand-alone software...not a problem if interfacing with HPTuners though. I like the AFX box; easy to read and use. If an LM-1 isn't available, AFX all the way.
    07 Z06. Stock LS7 Bottom-end, Katech Torquer 110, ARH LTs w/Cats, Halltech KBII CAI w/Beehive, 160* t-stat.