Thread: Ready to fire up my 383

Potential Tuner

Ready to fire up my 383

I'm finishing putting a LS1 383 in my '72 Chevelle and just about ready to fire it up. I could use some help from the experts please I've got Greg's DVD and changed the injector data from his tables and copied the MAF settings from a '03 vette to get a starting point. I disabled the VATS and turned off the rear O2 sensors and EGR. At least I hope I did all that.

Here's my combo:

Motor and Computer were from a '99 f-body.
    Mods:
    Callies 383 Kit
    PRC Stage 2 243 Heads milled .020
    TR raptr cam 236/242 - .615/.615 - 111
    Fast 92intake /NW 92 throttle body
    GM 85mm MAF Sensor
    Ford red top skinny injectors
    FLT stage 4 4L60E
    Yank SS3200 convertor
    LT headers with h-pipe no Cats
    No rear O2's
    EGR Deleted

I've got a wideband sensor that I will tune my MAF and VE tables once it's running, but I need to make sure I've got a safe tune to break it in.
    Thanks!

Potential Tuner
    Anyone know some general things I should check? I know the injectors are correct, I bumped my idle up a little. Lots of good info here on tuning based off histogram data, which I will use once it's running. I'm not finding a lot of advise on starting a fresh motor. Building this motor and getting it installed has been a 2 year project, I don't want to ruin it now.

Advanced Tuner
    I built my motor fresh. just don't drive it hard and work your way from idle up slowly tuning and watching for knock. Did you bump up your idle spark advance yet? With my cam which is smaller then yours but bigger the stock I added i think 6 degrees. but my cam will idle at 700 rpm with the spark advance. stock spark advance it would stall on decel with idle set to 850.
    My setup is a 356ci with a 260/268 (212/218 at .050 lift) duration cam with aluminium corvette heads and flat top pistons running 11.3 comp. ratio. with tuned port injection and vortec crank pick up and dizzy running a 411 pcm and 60lb bosch injectors, 1.6 ratio roller rockers. For transmission its a 4l65e built with the monster in a box mega ss kit. All in a 92 chevy ext cab 4x4 pickup with a 98 cab now installed with a third door! running only e85

Make sure fuel pressure is at 58psi and the wideband sensor is warmed up and ready to read when you kick the key over. Wideband should be reading high 12's to 14's on the initial running to prevent overfueling. Don't let it idle if it's reading ok, vary the throttle up and down till the thermostat starts cycling. You can adjust fuel pressure(if possible) 15psi either way if you want to make a temporary fueling change till you get the tune figured out, but make sure you go back to whatever pressure you want to run the engine at. Ford injectors run at 42psi so I wouldn't go lower than that.
    2001 Z06 - 417 LS3 - LPE CNC LS3 heads - LPE GT-11 cam - ARH 1 7/8" - LPE C6 intake - RPM 3.73 diff - tuned with HP Tuners
    2008 Silverado 5.3 - Dynatech LT headers - Volant Cool Air intake - 280whp/303wtq - tuned with HP Tuners

www.davenportmotorsports.com