Thread: Tuning the entire RPM/MAP Range for Virtual VE

Tuner in Training

Tuning the entire RPM/MAP Range for Virtual VE

Probably a dumb question, but I'm new to tuning so please bear with me.

Let me start with I just discovered Bluecat's (and ktoonsez?) VE 3.5 and think it's one of the best free tools ever. It's got quirks, but I definitely could NOT have done better. These guys deserve lots of thanks.

I'm interested in completely tuning my VE (2007 Z06 LS7) so I have the option of running straight SD. However, I'm not really sure how to safely populate the higher RPMs.

To tune the complete VE table, do I do partial throttle and idle as normal (PE off), then just run WOT with PE enabled?

(The only thing the signature is missing is my recently installed Katech Torquer 110...which has killer torque/power above 4k-rpm.)
    07 Z06. Stock LS7 Bottom-end, Katech Torquer 110, ARH LTs w/Cats, Halltech KBII CAI w/Beehive, 160* t-stat.

Just curious whats driving the decision to go full SD?
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Advanced Tuner
    the bandwagon.

Senior Tuner
    having a brain? going with what the system, not against it? no wonder anyone with a sensible question posts on this board once and leaves, geez...

Tuner in Training
    Gents, not trying to start an argument. I like the responsiveness of SD (much quicker than MAF). Regardless, I'll likely run hybrid mode. I just want to know if my assumptions for calibrating the entire VE table are sound, or if I need a little calibration.
    07 Z06. Stock LS7 Bottom-end, Katech Torquer 110, ARH LTs w/Cats, Halltech KBII CAI w/Beehive, 160* t-stat.

Tuner in Training
    So...nothing?

Advanced Tuner
    Yes, let PE do its thing.

Just drive like you normally do, trying to gather as much data as possible. Personally, I make sure I define a safe PE AFR in case my SD tables are horribly off from the get-go.

I recommend making as many logs as you can. The more information, the better your calibration is going to be.

Whether you go SD, MAF only, or hybrid is up to you. I like to stick with hybrid as it's the way GM designed it and that's just fine for me. I've done SD and MAF only and the differences were negligible to me in terms of performance.

Part of the fun with tuning is to experiment, measure, and evaluate. Think of it as a science experiment
    2012 Chevy Cruze A6 1LT RS

Formerly - 2004 GTO, 2002 Z28, 2007 Colorado, 2008 Silverado

Tuner in Training
    C6Z_sd, I'd be interested to see what you come up with as I have a very similar setup ('07 Z06, torquer, KB II). I've left mine hybrid but I still want to tune the upper RPM VE formulas. I've made some questimates but if you look at the stock VE "table" it is anything but smooth in the upper RPM ranges and I'm curious as to why.
    -- J.

2007 Z06, Haltech KBII intake, Katech torquer cam, Kooks 1 7/8 headers and Corsa exhaust (with cats)

2.5 OS is a good way for ur VE
    Last edited by 4evervette; 05-25-2011 at 05:44 AM.
    specialize in: V8 Conversion & Tuning (UAE- DUBAI)
    supercharge installation
    Salah clutches for Nissan, Toyota and GM car

Tuner in Training
    Having a problem with my Scanner right now, but will try the method of just disabling MAF to tune the whole table (leaving PE on).

The Scanner is reading half the actual value for Vehicle Speed, Engine Speed and Fuel Injector Duty...weird.