Thread: Please help me find EFI Master Tuner book

Tuner in Training

Please help me find EFI Master Tuner book

I'm trying to find the book by Dan Maslic but it's not available as of now. Is anyone willing to sell their book?

Quote Originally Posted by Oakaro68 View Post
    I'm trying to find the book by Dan Maslic but it's not available as of now. Is anyone willing to sell their book?
    I have one. $60 shipped. PM me if interested

BJK
    APS TT 630 rwhp/654 rwtq @ 9 psi
    '07 C6, TR6060 conversion w/Z06 ratios. DTE Stage 4 Quaife Diff w/brace (3.73). Z06 Brakes, mild turbo cam & dual springs (222/222, LSA 115, .581/.581), LS9R clutch, LG GT2 Coilovers, Autometer Cobalt Fuel gauage, Progressive Alky Controller, and e-Boost2 Controller. PFADT poly bushing for control arms and Sports sway bars. MGW shifter. 3" B&B Fusion. RSI Stage 1.5 fuel system. RX dual valve catch can.

Tuner in Training
    pm sent

Advanced Tuner
    I read that book, and it aggrevated me. He said stupid stuff, like "adjust the table". Well, duh. It's HOW to adjust the table that I bought the book for, not just which table to adjust. I think the guy probably knows how to tune, but not so much how to write. Some of his thoughts were incoherrent. Greg's book, on the other hand, was very well written. And about 1/4 the money. I think Maslic paid out of his own pocket to publish his book.

Quote Originally Posted by pontisteve View Post
    I read that book, and it aggrevated me. He said stupid stuff, like "adjust the table". Well, duh. It's HOW to adjust the table that I bought the book for, not just which table to adjust. I think the guy probably knows how to tune, but not so much how to write. Some of his thoughts were incoherrent. Greg's book, on the other hand, was very well written. And about 1/4 the money. I think Maslic paid out of his own pocket to publish his book.
    We talked on the phone and that's basically what I told him about the book. He is looking for a how to adjust the tables, set up histograms, ect and that is not the book for that kind of info. What I did do was send him .pdf copies of all the great info you laid down in the "Boosted... Where do I start." thread.

BJK
    '07 C6, TR6060 conversion w/Z06 ratios. DTE Stage 4 Quaife Diff w/brace (3.73). Z06 Brakes, mild turbo cam & dual springs (222/222, LSA 115, .581/.581), LS9R clutch, LG GT2 Coilovers, Autometer Cobalt Fuel gauage, Progressive Alky Controller, and e-Boost2 Controller. PFADT poly bushing for control arms and Sports sway bars. MGW shifter. 3" B&B Fusion. RSI Stage 1.5 fuel system. RX dual valve catch can.

Advanced Tuner
    What I really liked about Greg's stuff is that he focuses on understanding how stuff works, the basic principles of physics, etc. Once you get the fundamental basics of something in your head clear, it becomes much more intuitive about how to adjust the table, no matter what software you're running.

I took greg's advanced Ford class, and have to say it's amazing how well he can take a seriously complex topic and simplify it into terms everybody can understand. I still laugh when I think about him comparing lamdba and burnable oxygen molecules to sluts at the bar, LOL. I've read advanced tuning probably 6 different times over a couple years, and I swear each time I read it, I pick up some nugget of info that I missed before.

I have both of Greg's books and the DVD and am just waiting for the newest DVD. I also have both versions of the tuning school manuals and am seriously considering their advanced work shop in Vegas in November, I think it's just after SEIMA. I'm getting ready to convert the modified stock tune on my e38, that was done for me in April, '07, to the HPT 2 bar tune with a custom return fuel system.

BJK
    Last edited by 07MontRedcp; 05-16-2011 at 04:24 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    I like the idea of running a return fuel system on a GM, particularly a boosted one. And with large injectors like 60's, you could back the pressure down to 40 or so. I think this would help with idle, help with having enough injector under boost, etc. It will also help with fuel pump capacity, since the injectors are under less pressure.

I read a basic version of the tuning schools manual on PDF. Maybe they were dumbing it down for the basic version or something, but I was not impressed. It seemed like they were doing an awful lot of stuff wrong.

I took greg's advanced Ford class... ...I still laugh when I think about him comparing lamdba and burnable oxygen molecules to sluts at the bar.
    C'mon, don't give away ALL of my secrets...

Tuner in Training
    Should i hold off for a couple weeks on the dvd order? New version is coming, talking the sme-dvd-1 from summit? Ordering from summit how would I know it's the newest version, is there a different title?

Thanks.

The first dvd and the the new one that is due out any day are two different subjects. If you are fairly new to tuning,like myself, then you need both.

BJK

I like the idea of running a return fuel system on a GM, particularly a boosted one. And with large injectors like 60's, you could back the pressure down to 40 or so. I think this would help with idle, help with having enough injector under boost, etc. It will also help with fuel pump capacity, since the injectors are under less pressure.

I read a basic version of the tuning schools manual on PDF. Maybe they were dumbing it down for the basic version or something, but I was not impressed. It seemed like they were doing an awful lot of stuff wrong.
    You hit the nail on the head, that's exactly why I'm changing the fuel system. I realized that with the stock system running at 58 psi I was only seeing a differential pressure of 63.5 lbs for the injector @ 10 psi of boost, so I will drop the return system to 43.5 psi and use the boost reference to keep the same flow rate under under the IFR hard limit when in boost. This will also allow me to avoid having to scale the custom 2 bar.

BJK
    Last edited by 07MontRedcp; 06-03-2011 at 12:24 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by eficalibrator View Post
    C'mon, don't give away ALL of my secrets...
    Hey, I didn't explain the joke, I just referenced it. That really was some funny stuff though. If you don't use that in all your classes, you should.

Since you're piped into this thread, let me get your take on GM vs Ford fuel pressure. It seems to me that Fords return style 40 psi has lots of advantages, like no flow rate vs MAP table, reduced burden on the fuel pump, reduced hi pressure leak potential at the o-rings, and not being near the point of diminishing returns for pressure increase potential.

I was trying to think of why GM would run a smaller injector at a higher pressure, and the only reason I could come up with was that there might be some benefit in the injector spray pattern or anti-clogging. Any insight on this?

Potential Tuner
    what are the names of Greg's books? and where can i find them?

Quote Originally Posted by Elton View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/Greg-Banish/e/...783&sr=1-2-ent

BJK

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Elton View Post
    He also has a DVD available at Summit Racing on Beginners GM tuning. Pricey, but really helps grasp the situation by seeing him test the cars. Worth it, in my opinion.

He's apparently coming out with a second GM DVD some time soon.

Potential Tuner
    Anybody know if this book can still be found anywhere? I plan to grab Greg's books next time I head to town (SummitRacing warehouse 15 minutes away is AWESOME!!!), but it sounds like the EFI Master Tuner book had more specific information on the HPTuner software..

Digging up this topic, anybody knows where to get the book by Dan Maslic?
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 Collectors Edition 6spd T-Top

MS4 cam | AFR 205 heads, BTR .660, Ferrea valves, Morel lifter | Hooker 1 3/4" headers + ORY | Magnaflow catback | FAST 36# injectors | LS6 intake | Eaton 3.73 diff | Bilstein/Eibach suspension | BMR SFCs, LCAs | Wilwood brakes | 17x9 & 17x11 wheels

Advanced Tuner
    Find Dan on Facebook and ask him.