Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setting up Lambda without the Pro EIO

Advanced Tuner

Setting up Lambda without the Pro EIO

After just going through this I found there is a need to have all the information in one thread so here it is.

First thing required is a custom pid for your wideband to display lambda in the scanner
    The equation for this is:
    VOLTS / (5/DEVICE RANGE) + (MINIMUM VALUE OF DEVICE) = LAMBDA

Volts comes from the sensor you have chosen to wire into EGR [PID.2811], A/C [PID.7101], Fuel tank pressure is what I used [PID.6420]
    Device range of my wideband is lambda 1.43-.61 = .82 so 5/.82 = 6.10
    Minimum value = .61

So my final equation is ([PID.6420]/6.10)+.61
    I found I had to change the +.61 to .60 to correct for a voltage offset

With your scanner open in chart view right click the box you would like to display lambda in. Click insert, double click configure user defined, click on one of the <undefined> spots and create the Lambda AFR as shown in the picture. In order for this custom pid to function you also need to add the pid for the input you used in my case the fuel tank pressure sensor. So again right click a box, insert, then locate the sensor in the pid list and double click.

Advanced Tuner

Step2

Since the pcm does not have a commanded lambda pid we also need to create a custom pid for it. The easiest way is to use the equivalence ratio and create a formula to convert it to lambda. Using the same procedure above create the Commanded Lambda pid as shown in the picture. Again making sure to add the Equivalence Ratio to the chart.

Advanced Tuner

Step3

Now to be able to utilize this information we need to create another custom pid to calculate lambda error. Using the same procedure above create the Lambda Error pid as shown in the picture. The [USER.9008] is my Commanded Lambda pid and can be found by clicking on the blue ? just above the formula box. It will be at the bottom of the pid list in the right column. Yours may have a different number so be sure to use that in the formula.

Advanced Tuner

Step 4

Setting up Lambda Histograms for VE and MAF tuning

In the scanner open the histogram display. Click on the histogram settings button (beside the 12). Click on one of the empty locations and create the histogram as shown in the picture for both VE and MAF. The filter being used is to keep decel data from skewing the results. This is being done by keeping any MAP value lower than the measured MAP reading at idle from being recorded. My idle map is 48kpa so I set this to 45 in my case.

Nice little writeup. The only thing I'd critique is the lambda equation is not quite accurate for all instances. You hard coded 5 for the voltage range but the Innovate widebands let you set the voltage range and the NGK AFX has a 4V range. So it may help others to see where the 5 comes from. The equation is:

volts / (voltage range/Device range) + (Minimum value of device range)=AFR (in terms of whatever you input the device range in)
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks for adding that info Bill. I was not aware that other widebands could be different.
    1997 Trans Am WS6 - LS1 swap - TR224 - Pacesetter Longtubes - Yank SS3600
    - 3.42 Moser 12 bolt - Wilwood Brakes - HP Tuners tuned - P1SC-1 Procharger

how would I setup a Equivalence ratio pid? will i need one for crusing and one for PE?
    i realize it's commanded afr over stoich. but i don't know how to incorportate stoich.
    [pid.6000]\14.7? or is there a pid for stoich?
    Last edited by thebeewantsboost; 05-16-2011 at 11:26 PM.
    2001 3.8 v6 camaro, T5, ford 42lb green top injectors, grand national .63 a/r turbo. 8psi. stock motor, ngk tr6 plugs (one step colder) 91 octane.

2001 4.3 zr2 s10. daily driver, 31" tires, 4x4, cat! and exhaust. looking for mpg.

Commanded EQ is already there, PID.68. There is no PID for stoich. You define stoich in Engine/Fuel/General/Stoich AFR. Whatever you put there is an EQ ratio of 1. Then you command an EQ ratio of 1.13 in PE so 1/1.13=.885 lambda.
    Bill Winters

no pid.68 for me
    2001 3.8 v6 camaro, T5, ford 42lb green top injectors, grand national .63 a/r turbo. 8psi. stock motor, ngk tr6 plugs (one step colder) 91 octane.

2001 4.3 zr2 s10. daily driver, 31" tires, 4x4, cat! and exhaust. looking for mpg.

Advanced Tuner
    If you don't have an equivalence ratio pid you can use commanded afr and convert it to lambda. The only thing with that is if you have a different stoich set point you have to change the formula. AFR PID/your stoich

so it should be
    commanded afr pid/ 14.7

the commanded afr will change when in PE so that should be the only custom pid i need for commanded lambda right? and i do just use the numbers 14.7 in that equation., correct?
    Last edited by thebeewantsboost; 05-19-2011 at 02:55 PM.

If that is what you have stoich set to then yes.
    Bill Winters

when setting up the maf lamda error %. it will not allow me to add both "maf airflow v output frequency" and "mass air flow frequency" at the same time. i did it just as pictured. one as a table the other a sensor and when i put the second one in it removes the first one.no matter which one i enter first. i have the proper pids setup to scan. any ideas?

Advanced Tuner
    The "mass air flow frequency" fills in on its own when the top box is picked. The tables in the V6 must be different. I don't have a V6 file to look at and can't on this pc anyways.

I didn't wire my wideband to either A/C switch or EGR, I hooked it up as portable set up. The power and ground went straight to the battery connection.

Can I still use any of this PID?

Edit:

I used my aux AFX NTK to replace the pid, will this work? I'm just shooting in the dark here.
    Last edited by bene; 07-08-2011 at 04:57 PM.
    • Tuned
    • 2K4 Z28
    • 2K4 Tahoe
    • 2K7 TBSS

This should be a sticky
    2003 Z06
    Forged 347
    PTE Billet 67/65 Turbos
    FMIC / Dual 50mm Tial BOV's
    ID 1000 Injectors
    RSI Stage 4 Fuel System
    07 Z06 Cam
    Tripple Nozzle Meth
    ACT Twin disk clutch

25# Boost

I can't make this custom pid... scanner is crashing on me constantly.
    • Tuned
    • 2K4 Z28
    • 2K4 Tahoe
    • 2K7 TBSS

*The HPTuners gods heard my voice*...

I can't wait to get this new found PIDs into use...
    • Tuned
    • 2K4 Z28
    • 2K4 Tahoe
    • 2K7 TBSS

Wait...

What PID do I use if I don't use any of those 5V source? the Raw voltage? I have a PRO version.
    • Tuned
    • 2K4 Z28
    • 2K4 Tahoe
    • 2K7 TBSS

This thread is about the non-pro version. With the pro version you will insert an EIO PID for the wide band. There are built EIO WB PIDs or you can make your own user defined EIO PID.
    Bill Winters