Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: L92 Stroker 416 Help

Tuner in Training cornerburner27's Avatar

L92 Stroker 416 Help

Hey guys,

I am new to tuning and looking for any help that I can get. I am currently reading everything that I can and messing around with the VCM scanner trying to familiarize myself. I am building an L92 stroker 416 with 11.2:1 compression, ported L92 heads, L76 intake, Cam 219 in. 235 ex. Lobe Sep. 113, 1 3/4" longtube headers, 39lb/hr injectors, and a 90mm throttle body & MAF. That's a basic description but hopefully adequate for what I'm asking. I have been reviewing the tune for the stock LS1 which is currently in the car. I am hoping to install the L92 stroker in the next month and a half so I am trying to learn as much as I can about what this new setup will require. If anyone has any tunes or advice based off of a similar setup that you would like to share, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
    "Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
    -Steve McQueen, Le Mans

Quote Originally Posted by cornerburner27 View Post
    Hey guys,

I am new to tuning and looking for any help that I can get. I am currently reading everything that I can and messing around with the VCM scanner trying to familiarize myself. I am building an L92 stroker 416 with 11.2:1 compression, ported L92 heads, L76 intake, Cam 219 in. 235 ex. Lobe Sep. 113, 1 3/4" longtube headers, 39lb/hr injectors, and a 90mm throttle body & MAF. That's a basic description but hopefully adequate for what I'm asking. I have been reviewing the tune for the stock LS1 which is currently in the car. I am hoping to install the L92 stroker in the next month and a half so I am trying to learn as much as I can about what this new setup will require. If anyone has any tunes or advice based off of a similar setup that you would like to share, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
    Goodness we've stepped up a long way from stock haven't we?!

Ok well my first question relates to injectors. What brand are they? Are they a commonly used GM Injector?

First and foremost before doing any tuning on the engine swap is to implant proper injector data into your tune. Then we can tune the rest fairly simply.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

Quote Originally Posted by IDRIVEAG8GT View Post
    Goodness we've stepped up a long way from stock haven't we?!

Ok well my first question relates to injectors. What brand are they? Are they a commonly used GM Injector?

First and foremost before doing any tuning on the engine swap is to implant proper injector data into your tune. Then we can tune the rest fairly simply.
    Haha, yes, quite a step up indeed. Thanks for the reply by the way. The injectors are a commonly used GM injector, and quite possibly the injectors sent out with every L76 intake manifold. I purchased the intake from Scoggin & Dickey and the injectors/fuel rail look as though they are an entire assembly straight from GM. The injectors are Bosch 39lb/hr @ 58 psi (4 bar). They should be the same ones as in this link:

http://www.boschdealer.com/index.php...products_id=35

I am glad to have some sort of starting point, thanks for the help.
    "Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
    -Steve McQueen, Le Mans

Ok my G8 had 39's I think. Pull up a tune in the repository for a stock 2007 Chevrolet Silverado Vortec Max with a 6.0 as well, and those SHOULD be the right ones. You can then compare your tune and that one and copy and paste the information over on the tables that are different.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Ok my G8 had 39's I think. Pull up a tune in the repository for a stock 2007 Chevrolet Silverado Vortec Max with a 6.0 as well, and those SHOULD be the right ones. You can then compare your tune and that one and copy and paste the information over on the tables that are different.
    I'm not sure I know what you're referring to when you say "those should be the right ones". Can you explain that in more detail? Also, are you talking about comparing the Silverado tune my stock LS1 tune? Sorry to ask these questions, I just want to make sure I understand what you are telling me. I would also like to know what makes the silverado tune the best candidate for this comparison.

Thanks
    -Steve McQueen, Le Mans

Does anybody have a tune for a similar setup to mine? I would like to know what parameters in the tune need to be changed in order to do the initial start-up (ex. changing displacement, injectors, etc.).
    -Steve McQueen, Le Mans

Oh, all I was simply saying is that the 07 Silverado should have the right injectors for your application, then take that tune with just the INJECTOR INFO and copy and paste it over to the current LS1 file in your car. With the proper 39 Lb Injector data, I'm going to ask you to make a running Log and post it up here for me to look at. We can then adjust your tune so far as MAF and airflow. There will be alot of changing considering you bumped displacement so much, but it is very well doable.

Again, Injectors first, then everything else.

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Oh, all I was simply saying is that the 07 Silverado should have the right injectors for your application, then take that tune with just the INJECTOR INFO and copy and paste it over to the current LS1 file in your car. With the proper 39 Lb Injector data, I'm going to ask you to make a running Log and post it up here for me to look at. We can then adjust your tune so far as MAF and airflow. There will be alot of changing considering you bumped displacement so much, but it is very well doable.

Again, Injectors first, then everything else.
    Awesome, thanks. I'm going to adjust the displacement settings and do the injector data swap like you said. Another question, do you think there is any advantage to using the stock LS1 MAF for the initial start-up? Would this eliminate any additional variables, or should the larger upgraded MAF just be used right away?

Also, as soon as I do get the engine swapped in and running, I will definitely post the running log.
    -Steve McQueen, Le Mans

What is the Cyl.Vol. on a 416 LS3?
    2006 CGM A4

Quote Originally Posted by 0352goat View Post
    What is the Cyl.Vol. on a 416 LS3?
    The 416 LS3 has a cylinder volume of 0.85176 L, whereas the stock LS1 is 0.70821 L.
    -Steve McQueen, Le Mans

Awesome, thanks. I'm going to adjust the displacement settings and do the injector data swap like you said. Another question, do you think there is any advantage to using the stock LS1 MAF for the initial start-up? Would this eliminate any additional variables, or should the larger upgraded MAF just be used right away?

Also, as soon as I do get the engine swapped in and running, I will definitely post the running log.
    In essence, You might want to fire it and use the LS1 MAF to get it running and check everything out. Then after you are satisfied and we get it tuned to be fairly streetable you can look into getting a bigger MAF sensor if needed.

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

In essence, You might want to fire it and use the LS1 MAF to get it running and check everything out. Then after you are satisfied and we get it tuned to be fairly streetable you can look into getting a bigger MAF sensor if needed.
    Ok, I had a feeling that it might make it somewhat easier. I have a few other questions since you have been very helpful:

Scenario 1: If I do fire the engine up initially with the 75mm stock MAF, is it okay to leave the stock MAF tables untouched?

Scenario 2: At the moment I am planning on using the Texas Speed 100mm MAF. I was wondering if I were to run this MAF from the very first start-up, do you foresee any issues with this?

I guess my biggest concern right now is that I want the initial start-up to go well. I know that the engine will be mechanically sound, but I want to make sure that there aren't any tuning issues that prevent it from running. If I can get to that point, I should be able to get run data and provide you with some files correct?
    -Steve McQueen, Le Mans

Ok, I had a feeling that it might make it somewhat easier. I have a few other questions since you have been very helpful:

Scenario 1: If I do fire the engine up initially with the 75mm stock MAF, is it okay to leave the stock MAF tables untouched?

Scenario 2: At the moment I am planning on using the Texas Speed 100mm MAF. I was wondering if I were to run this MAF from the very first start-up, do you foresee any issues with this?

I guess my biggest concern right now is that I want the initial start-up to go well. I know that the engine will be mechanically sound, but I want to make sure that there aren't any tuning issues that prevent it from running. If I can get to that point, I should be able to get run data and provide you with some files correct?
    Answer to Scenario 1: I think the stock table will do you just fine. I cannot justify whether or not it will be able to start well the first time until it learns what to do.

Answer to Scenario 2: I see issues because you will have to recalibrate the MAF table if you change sensors. Either way it's going to require some changing on the MAF table.

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Answer to Scenario 1: I think the stock table will do you just fine. I cannot justify whether or not it will be able to start well the first time until it learns what to do.

Answer to Scenario 2: I see issues because you will have to recalibrate the MAF table if you change sensors. Either way it's going to require some changing on the MAF table.
    Ok, thanks for the help. I don't know if I'm making this too simple, but is it possible to try finding a table from someone else using the same Texas Speed 100mm MAF at least as a starting point?
    -Steve McQueen, Le Mans

It's really hard to find a table. Intake geometry could throw off a calibration or anything in that perspective. If you're dead set on using that Texas Speed MAF, just connect it right before the TB for now and a filter for the first start, then tune your idle Hz cells via whatever your Long Term fuel trims feed back to you whenever you do a scan.

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

It's really hard to find a table. Intake geometry could throw off a calibration or anything in that perspective. If you're dead set on using that Texas Speed MAF, just connect it right before the TB for now and a filter for the first start, then tune your idle Hz cells via whatever your Long Term fuel trims feed back to you whenever you do a scan.
    Alright, I'm also going to do more reading on dialing in the MAF tables since I don't know enough about that. Thanks again for the help.

Also, I am not set on using the TS 100mm MAF, in fact, if you or anybody has a recommendation for a good 90mm MAF feel free to suggest it. I have been looking for one for quite some time and haven't found one that I like. This was the reason I started leaning toward the TS 100mm even though it seems a bit over-sized.
    -Steve McQueen, Le Mans

Alright, I'm also going to do more reading on dialing in the MAF tables since I don't know enough about that. Thanks again for the help.

Also, I am not set on using the TS 100mm MAF, in fact, if you or anybody has a recommendation for a good 90mm MAF feel free to suggest it. I have been looking for one for quite some time and haven't found one that I like. This was the reason I started leaning toward the TS 100mm even though it seems a bit over-sized.
    Oh hell yeah! Go find a Camaro SS, wrecked G8 GT, 07 and up NBS Silverado, etc MAF. All those are good ones that I could mock up a table for and hopefully get you running better.

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Oh hell yeah! Go find a Camaro SS, wrecked G8 GT, 07 and up NBS Silverado, etc MAF. All those are good ones that I could mock up a table for and hopefully get you running better.
    Awesome! I like that idea even better! I bet all of those use the same sensor as the TS 100mm anyway. I know that the sensor in the TS MAF is just a generic GM sensor that has been used for years in corvettes, cobalts, etc. I will look into picking one of these factory MAF's up.
    -Steve McQueen, Le Mans

Awesome! I like that idea even better! I bet all of those use the same sensor as the TS 100mm anyway. I know that the sensor in the TS MAF is just a generic GM sensor that has been used for years in corvettes, cobalts, etc. I will look into picking one of these factory MAF's up.
    Yep they should all be plug and play. It is very hard to simply say what percentage airflow is being taken in by the MAF to correlate fuel, however I have a stock G8 GT table value that I should be able to tweak enough to get a good first start on.

I'm not quite sure, but I think that two of the vehicles I listed are 95mm MAF's, and the Camaro is a 100mm.

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Yep they should all be plug and play. It is very hard to simply say what percentage airflow is being taken in by the MAF to correlate fuel, however I have a stock G8 GT table value that I should be able to tweak enough to get a good first start on.

I'm not quite sure, but I think that two of the vehicles I listed are 95mm MAF's, and the Camaro is a 100mm.
    Wow, yeah I'm hoping to look into which size MAF's are used on those vehicles to be absolutely sure. I think I'm going to try getting a stock 90mm though like the one on your G8. One thing I am curious about though is the outside diameter of both the inlet and outlet of that particular MAF (As in the diameter that the silicon hoses actually fit over). Would you happen to know those dimensions?
    -Steve McQueen, Le Mans