Thread: Need VE tuning guidance on a '98 Z28.

Need VE tuning guidance on a '98 Z28.

I've hit the search button so many times it's almost abusive. I've found so many different bits and pieces, but nothing resembling a walkthrough, aside from the free LS1 tuning guide. Unfortunately, the free guide is referencing some things I can't seem to find on the '98 computer, like disabling the STFT.

I feel as if my brain is going to melt.

Anyone have a VE/MAF tuning walkthrough? There's so much info out there and it's so chaotic and disorganized that I feel like I'm going in circles.

http://www.thetuningschool.com
    The best thing I've ever done for my tuning skills and career. The guys there are the sh!t!

That's great except I don't tune for a living and spending $500 for a course isn't an option right now. I'm beginning to think I should have gone with another tuning package.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Bishop View Post
    That's great except I don't tune for a living and spending $500 for a course isn't an option right now. I'm beginning to think I should have gone with another tuning package.
    You need to learn how to use any tuning package you buy. I have other tuning suites which don't even have descriptions like HPTuners has. If you want to know what a table does you have to figure it out on your own.
    The only tuning books available are for HPTuners.
    If you can't buy a book, you can find the same information on the forums, but you need a lot of time and searching skills (which you don't seem to have) to find it.

If you can't or aren't willing to spend money on books or time searching over the internet, sorry to tell you but EFI tuning is not for you.

Anything you need to tune your car is already posted here and many other places, you just need to find it.

It's not that I don't want to or can't learn. I'm just frustrated.

As far as searching skills, I've been searching. A lot. I've been searching and reading until the wee hours of the morning. The problem I'm having is that there is no cohesive information, and a great deal of it is contradictory. It's a classic forum problem: How do you tell the real pro from the desktop blowhard?

I understand there is a learning curve to any software, I've been 'doing' the electronics thing for more years than I can count. What's daunting is that there's very little documentation on how to use the tools provided.

On a community note: Telling newcomers 'the information is out there, go search, maybe this isn't for you, buy a $500 online class' isn't particularly helpful. I know I'm not the first person to do this or run into these problems.

The stock VE tables are wack. And without being properly informed on how they work, they can be even more wack.

You'll never understand how this works till you do it a bunch of times, or go to some sort of basic course.

This forum is more of a troubleshooters guide. Not a how to get started, guide.

However I agree, there is a lot of useful information out there, just gotta look for it.

For what it's worth, I finally got my VE tables dialed in using the free LS1 tuning guide and my LC1 wideband.

Doing this on the street is a PITA and not safe, especially trying to hit all the cells. I may have exceeded the speed limit once or twice on the highway.

RedHardSupra's blog was helpful, so was the free guide. There is no substitute for just doing it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Bishop View Post
    For what it's worth, I finally got my VE tables dialed in using the free LS1 tuning guide and my LC1 wideband.

Doing this on the street is a PITA and not safe, especially trying to hit all the cells. I may have exceeded the speed limit once or twice on the highway.

RedHardSupra's blog was helpful, so was the free guide. There is no substitute for just doing it, though.
    You don't need to kill yourself to properly tune your VE table.
    Just drive the car like you always do and don't bother about the scanner cells.
    If you plan tuning WOT, do it in the drag strip or any place where you can go WOT without breaking the law.

Anyway, the VE table isn't used from 4000 RPM, unles you go MAF-less
    Last edited by Montecarlodrag; 05-08-2011 at 04:29 PM.

I didn't tune WOT, only to 4000 RPM. I'll save the higher RPM cells for the track or a dyno rental or something. Next step is the MAF.

Its also hard on the brakes holding rpm's for good cell counts.

Im not entirely sure on the 98 pcm, but you should be able to upgrade to 02. 2 VE tables suck and many other tables have higher resolution. Yeah it sucks to license another file but its worth it.
    99 Hugger Camaro LS1 M6 TSP Torquer V2 cam, 100 dry-shot N2O, 42# "green tops", lid, p&p MAF/TB, LS6 Intake, Hooker LT's, Custom ORY with Flowmaster Merge, DMH cutout, Magnaflow CB, tuned with LC-1 and '02 OS.

Tuner
    Trust me, the tuning schools book is like "tuning for dummies". I know you hate to spend more money when you just spent alot on the software, but its useless if you dont understand how to use it. Getting some training from the tuning school really makes HPTuners much more friendly when you have hands on training with the software!!!! Hopefully one day I can get the advanced course also!