Thread: tcc locking/unlocking

tcc locking/unlocking

Just thought I would share a recent problem I had and the solution to it.

I installed a Yank 3600 stall converter and TCI flexplate in my cars 4l60e and immediately had issues with torque converter lockup. When cruising the converter would lock for a couple minutes and then unlock for a couple minutes, it seemed to be at random.

I played around with tcc apply speeds a bunch, but to no avail. The PCM was not picking up any DTC's on HP tuners or a Tech 2 (GM scan tool), so I ruled misfires out as a cause.......or so I thought. Long story short after beating my head against the wall I maxed out the misfire detection tables and tcc operation worked like it was supposed to. I really like having lockup when cruising.

I know others have come across this, especially in vehicles with cams, I just thought that since no misfires were detected it was not an issue. Anyways I hope that this helps anybody having issues with lockup after putting in a stall converter.
    1998 Z-28: lid, full exhaust, 3600 stall, drag radials = 12.08@111mph

have you max out your misfire table in Engine Diag?

Yeah, went to Engine Diag then to Misfire and there will be a couple different tables (forget the names, on my work computer right now). I maxed out the low and medium RPM tables
    1998 Z-28: lid, full exhaust, 3600 stall, drag radials = 12.08@111mph