Thread: Reduction pulleys... what do you think?

Question Reduction pulleys... what do you think?

I was curious as to what other tuners thought about reduction pulleys? I haven't heard much (if anything) on here and was wondering "Are they beneficial or are there too many drawbacks to them?" I know the basic principle that reducing the engine belt pulley/wheel will use less horsepower for frictional losses from the alternator, power steering etc. BUT I wanted to see what everyone else thought about them. Also, are they a good performance upgrade for those who can tune their cars yet since they aren't supported? Or is it even worth it?

Enough gibberish, let hear what you guys have to think!
    Andrew

2006 Duramax ECSB - Banks Monster Dual Exhaust, Tie Rod Sleeves, Kennedy Twin Deluxe Lift Pumps, Edge Insight CTS with Pryo, EGR Blocker Plate, PVC Reroute, Suncoast Stage 5 trans with 1056 triple disk converter, Cognito Steering Braces, PPE Race Valve, LML driver side exhaust manifold, AFE Boost Tube, Stock Drop-in BatMoWheel, ProFab Performance 3" Downpipe, Other mods along the way, TUNED by ME... Way too much fun

I guess to me they aren't worth the money, seems to be many other things to buy that give a much better bang for the buck! But to people who money is no object then sure why not. From what I have seen they don't seem to cause problems except for high electrical load at idle the alternator can't keep up... Just my opinion

I wondered how they would do at idle and figured they might be some negative effects. Has anyone done a reduction pulley and seen gains for mpg improvements? Obviously tuning it woulb be most beneficial but some still aren't in that stage....... \/ \/ \/
    Andrew

2006 Duramax ECSB - Banks Monster Dual Exhaust, Tie Rod Sleeves, Kennedy Twin Deluxe Lift Pumps, Edge Insight CTS with Pryo, EGR Blocker Plate, PVC Reroute, Suncoast Stage 5 trans with 1056 triple disk converter, Cognito Steering Braces, PPE Race Valve, LML driver side exhaust manifold, AFE Boost Tube, Stock Drop-in BatMoWheel, ProFab Performance 3" Downpipe, Other mods along the way, TUNED by ME... Way too much fun

Since I was driving to Chicago 5 days a week, my first mod on a 3800 SII was installing a 10% under-drive water-pump pulley & 10% overdrive alternator pulley at the same time. Within the first full week of driving 22 miles to work, I noticed an improvement in fuel economy. While I could drive 55 MPH **cough 75** going to work, I was stuck 45 min. - 1:15 driving in stop & go traffic returning home (with AIR-COND on) and immediately noticed I was only filling my tank every 6-7 work days as opposed to every 4-6. The company "Easy Performance" has done Dyno testing showing a gain of 4HP. Bear in mind that a slower turning water-pump will last longer & warm-up quicker in winter and cost - $120.00.

That's neat! I am glad you have some real world data that gets better economy using a reduction pulley. I was thinking about one just for economy gains since they dont add too much horsepower and I am unable to get into the computer of my car yet...
    Andrew