Thread: Write Entire Help Needed.

Write Entire Help Needed.

I have a 2005 vette that was originally an automatic. I swapped in the entire driveline from a manual tranny 06 Z51. Up to this point my car still thought it was an automatic. The TCM was still in the loop but the only wires attached to it were the GMLAN in and out and 3 power wires. This weekend I borrowed a Tech II and changed the BCM over to manual tranny. Now my car says "Put in Reverse" instead of "Put in Park".

The Tech II wouldn't program the ECM without it being connected online to GMTIS. This isn't an issue, except that the car won't start now until the ECM is programmed, and getting it on a trailer is near impossible without doing major body damage.

Here are my questions:

- Is it as simple as doing a write entire from a 2005 manual car? and will this change all parameters in the ECM so that it is a complete clone of a factory manual ECM?

- Would I be better off sending it to a PCMforless.com type place and have a factory manual tune put in it with my VIN?

- Should I just ante up and get it to a Tech II connected to GMTIS?

- When I do one of the above, will I still be able to add my 2.5 bar custom OS that I have now to it since it is attached to my VIN?

bump

Senior Tuner
    Your tune is not locked to your vin, it is locked to your pcm ID #. As long as you are using the same pcm, you can tune it with the license you have. If you flash a manual car tune you will have to license the tune from the manual car(unless you have unlimited for year/model). PCMforless is an option, but probably not the most cost effective. Taking it to a tech II is probably your cheapest and best bet for success. They can reflash all the modules in the car at once and have everything talking and happy(and a decent dealer should do it for an hours labour).

Quote Originally Posted by mecanicman View Post
    Your tune is not locked to your vin, it is locked to your pcm ID #. As long as you are using the same pcm, you can tune it with the license you have. If you flash a manual car tune you will have to license the tune from the manual car(unless you have unlimited for year/model).
    Thanks for the reply. I completely understand this section of what you said.

My concern is not the tune, it is the custom 2.5 bar OS that I have now. If I put a manual tune in my ECM will still be able to change it to my custom OS that I have installed now.

PCMforless is an option, but probably not the most cost effective. Taking it to a tech II is probably your cheapest and best bet for success. They can reflash all the modules in the car at once and have everything talking and happy(and a decent dealer should do it for an hours labour).
    Actually the PCMforless deal is cheapest, but that really isn't a priority. I don't have to take it to a dealer since I have a buddy that has a Tech II with full access to the GMTIS software. I have already programmed all of the modules except for the ECM. To program it I would have to be connected online to the GMTIS software. Hindsight being 20/20 I should have taken it to his shop and done this, but I didn't know it was necessary and I didn't want to take up one of his bays with my car. Here are my choices:

1) PCMforless.com, $75, 5-10 day turnaround

2) HPTuners, $100, immediate but do I lose my custom OS that I now have installed? and does this change the same parameters as the Tech II so that it is a complete clone of a factory manual ECM or does it just change the parameters that HPTuners software sees?

3) Take it to a buddys that has a Tech II, free but to get it to his shop I have to haul it and even with a 24' hydraulic tilt car hauler it will drag the front end off of it. I would either have to raise the front end as high as it will go or completely remove the front bumper.

Option 2 is the one I would like to do if I can find out if it will work. It'll cost me $100 but will only take 2 minutes to do and I'm done.

Senior Tuner
    Your custom operating system is tied to your pcm id# just like your tune license. So, if you flashed with a manual tune it would take you 2 credits plus 2 credits to relicense your custom operating system. Have your buddy do it with tech 2, you retain your current pcm id#, you reinstall your 2 bar operating system when you get it back at at no additional cost.

Your custom operating system is tied to your pcm id# just like your tune license. So, if you flashed with a manual tune it would take you 2 credits plus 2 credits to relicense your custom operating system. Have your buddy do it with tech 2, you retain your current pcm id#, you reinstall your 2 bar operating system when you get it back at at no additional cost.
    OK, well that makes sense. Thanks for your help.

................oh, and damn that was a fast reply!

Senior Tuner
    The other advantage of doing it this way is you may have to flash some other modules when you do it. You will have access to the tech 2 to do it. Sometimes in these kinds of swaps you get some strange communication codes poping up between modules(example abs) and the only way to fix it is by reflashing the module with the code.