Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: flashing GMS1 for 09 SS cobalt

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Don't change to stage kit it's 50/50 flash. Good turbo values to start with/ bad traction nannies and few other minor things
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Quote Originally Posted by |V3nom| View Post
    a sorta related question, if i flash a stock gms1 tune from another vehicle onto my car with write entire (after using credits on it), can i change the vin # back to what my car is or will that not work? i know there used to be an option to change the vin but havent checked lately or tried.

i have the 3bar sensors soldered on but running a stock tune with those tables IAB posted. would there be any benefit to doing this if possible? seems like it would only take a couple of minutes to do the flash and change the vin.
    Write entire does not change your VIN in the ECU, neither does write cal.

If you need to change the VIN with HPT IIRC it takes 3 times to 'stick' but it's been a while.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Iam Broke View Post
    They are actually turbo nanny's you don't need.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    Don't change to stage kit it's 50/50 flash. Good turbo values to start with/ bad traction nannies and few other minor things
    When you guys talk of some of the changes in GMS1 as being nannys, how was this disovered and what kind of nannys are you referring to, IE what are they limiting?

I understand the PID boost tables as being what Tom is referring to but is there more?
    09 RY Cobalt SS Coupe - 19K miles - Bolt ons + 7163 ZFR, HP tuned on ethanol

Sold - 09 SRTC Cobalt SS Sedan
    Totaled - 09 VR Cobalt SS Sedan
    Sold - 09 RY Cobalt SS Sedan

You will never hold as much boost on the GMS1 base file at 6k as you can on a stock SS file. There are hundreds of tables in the Bosch ECU we cannot see and many related to turbo overspeed protection, ect that are dialed down in the GMS1 base file. I could hold 2 psi more on my stock wg, stock tune than on GMS1 at 6k.

Write entire does not change your VIN in the ECU, neither does write cal.

If you need to change the VIN with HPT IIRC it takes 3 times to 'stick' but it's been a while.
    well i flashed a gmpp tune for a 08 kappa manual with no brake assist (exactly what my car is) and now its showing that the vin is different from what its supposed to be. the gmpp tune has its own vin which is why i wanted to change it but even though i used credits to be able to flash it (this was a long time ago) and even after flashing it hpt wont let me change the vin back to stock cause it says im not licensed to it or something.

is it better to just use the stock tune with the 3bar senors tables put in and ditch the gmpp tune altogether? i had thought that it was better to build off of the gmpp tune but i dont know for sure.
    2008 Sky RL

yes ditch the gmpp but use its values to swap into the stock

This is an old thread but a good one. Can I just open that GMPP file and copy the settings over without spending GM credits?

Yes.

Potential Tuner
    Yes.
    Sorry to rebump old thread but, so I can get the 3 bar sensors/plug n play with the orings and plug it in and get an hp tuner box and just put the GMS1 file on it without buying creds? Will the 2010 GMPP file posted in another thread work on a 2010 SS?

buy the sensors and harness adapters then program the map sensors. thats all you have to do. gm flash is a waste thanks to all the access we have now.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    buy the sensors and harness adapters then program the map sensors. thats all you have to do. gm flash is a waste thanks to all the access we have now.
    Sooo That's a yes? I gotta make sure before I get it. Also need to keep warranty.
    Last edited by WhiteBalt; 10-01-2014 at 12:52 AM.

If you are worried about the warranty, you will have to buy the entire setup from a dealer and have them install it.

What COB is telling you is to buy the sensors, install them yourself and modify the stock tune for the best performance. The GMS1 canned tune is not all that great. Search many many many threads on here.

Potential Tuner
    They won't bother to look at the tune on it if something blows? Is it really worth 6-700 bucks for the GMs1 tune if i'm at 80k miles?

They are going to look at ANY tune if it blows. Pay to play brother.

You can pull the sensors & flash stock to scam 'em on the Bosch ECU if you want to. It's your conscience (or lack thereof).

Not so much on my E38 LS3, flash counter remains and there are many service bulletins for ALL platforms to look at everything with a fine tooth comb for powertrain warranty work.

For the last time, best power is made on a stock base file with the proper tuning & sensors. There are many tables that are not accessible that the GMS1 file has dummied down to save the turbo/engine/ect.