Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aggresive Timing GTP

Aggresive Timing GTP

Lets see some of your guys timing tables for your 97-03 GTP. Looking for some aggressive cruise and part throttle timing. Just want to compare to mine.
    2003 Galaxy Silver Limited Edition GTP
    Mods: 2.8 MPS | S2IC | XP CAM | GEN V | 65# | E85 | TOGS | N* TB | HPT PRO | Impala Brakes | BUILT TRANS w/3.29 GRS

2017 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 6.2
    Mods: HPT PRO

Tuner in Training
    I used the timing tables from an 04+ which is a lot more aggressive. I've been getting better MPG with that in cruise. Don't have it handy right now to post though.

This is my Hi Oct table. I use this in conjunction with pseudo lean cruise and it doesn't knock. Which means I can push higher. (limited by MaxBreakTorque and knock of course).

I plan on tweaking this up when it gets hot (for Michigan) this summer.

Edit: This is on an 01 GTP.
    Last edited by passingpower; 04-20-2011 at 01:29 PM.
    Check before you consider tuning;
    Is the MIL on? ANY leaks-vacuum, fluid or exhaust? Clogged filters? Old O2 or dirty MAF sensors? Dirty injectors, PCV or IAC passage? Correct the condition. Change the plugs & oil while you're at it. They need it anyway. Particular system giving you fits? Visually examine the related wiring first.

Ours are actually pretty close. Check mine out...
    Mods: 2.8 MPS | S2IC | XP CAM | GEN V | 65# | E85 | TOGS | N* TB | HPT PRO | Impala Brakes | BUILT TRANS w/3.29 GRS

Advanced Tuner
    Don't know if having 0 kr at lower RPM's is a good idea. You never know while your low speed cruzing. could be just a "tad" too much timing.......then POP!
    The Regal has been laid to rest..... rust
    Now have an 06 Lucerne with the 3.8 and wishing HPT would cover that car
    Loved my 2001 Buick Regal GS.
    With more than 334,000K, 3.4 & 3.6 pulley, Change stats and pulleys with the seasons, Upgraded grounds & power wire, Volt booster, Caspers timing commander(AKA happy knob), Spectra intake-fender wall, PLog, 3" DP & 2.5 exhaust, HPTunner 12" Impala duel piston front brakes, New trans,GMPP suspension... yada, yada...

Tuner in Training
    what are you guys seeing for gas mileage, I might be changing my table up soon..
    10.82@126
    stock blower 3800
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gyLoTOlz4U

Zero knock is always a good idea.

During cruise, a 'tad' would mean you're on the back side of the peak torque for that RPM. Hence my referral to the MBT limit. At the low throttle angle and high(er) plenum vacuum at cruise, cylinder fill is so low especially with an 8.5:1 ratio engine, It's difficult to achieve a peak cylinder pressure high enough to blow a head gasket. I'm not saying no one has done it at cruise, I'm just sayin' you almost have to make it a goal to see it POP during cruise. In fact, at 8.5:1, the L67 should have had a higher timing table in cruise from the factory. Instead, we have the same tables as the 9.4:1 L36. Guess fuel economy wasn't high on GM's list in 2001. Psst! cheap tweaking of firmware on old hardware is how the recent "gains" in mileage have been attained. The L67's low compression pretty much demands aggressive timing to offset the inefficient burn during cruise.

Between PLC and this table, I have no trouble seeing 38mpg at 60mph and that's withstanding the ~5% economy hit burning E10.

Call BS all you want.
    I was asked for my two cents.
    Is the MIL on? ANY leaks-vacuum, fluid or exhaust? Clogged filters? Old O2 or dirty MAF sensors? Dirty injectors, PCV or IAC passage? Correct the condition. Change the plugs & oil while you're at it. They need it anyway. Particular system giving you fits? Visually examine the related wiring first.

Timing

Almost forgot to mention:
    Any reference I make, made or will make to PLC, pseudo lean cruise, or lean cruise, is in regard to off-road use only.
    And I would never endorse its use by anyone in the U.S.A.

Anyone else have a timing table to share? I would really like what the rest of you guys have your timing set.

This is running E85, and is actual timing from a scan. I think boost was around 18psi on the upper limits.

2000 Regal GS | Twin-Charged T72 | HPT Pro + PLX Wideband | 12.55 @ 110 on 15psi | Now running 20psi on E85!

1998 5.9L Durango | Powerdyne supercharger @6psi | Mesa Headers | Gibson Cat-back | 1.7 RR's | Tuned PCM | Ported Heads | Custom TB & Intake | Custom fuel rails | Rebuild coming soon...

Advanced Tuner
    Don't know if having 0 kr at lower RPM's is a good idea. You never know while your low speed cruzing. could be just a "tad" too much timing.......then POP!
    Ah Dam, should have been clearer..... not enough coffee this AM.
    In your tune, under Spark retard: Knock fast attack rate Vs. RPM - set to zero @ 400 800 1200 RPM and 1 @ 1600 RPM.

Passingpower, you bring up a good point.
    The Regal has been laid to rest..... rust
    Now have an 06 Lucerne with the 3.8 and wishing HPT would cover that car
    Loved my 2001 Buick Regal GS.
    With more than 334,000K, 3.4 & 3.6 pulley, Change stats and pulleys with the seasons, Upgraded grounds & power wire, Volt booster, Caspers timing commander(AKA happy knob), Spectra intake-fender wall, PLog, 3" DP & 2.5 exhaust, HPTunner 12" Impala duel piston front brakes, New trans,GMPP suspension... yada, yada...

Advanced Tuner
    like black gs this is a screen shot. Its from a scan about 2 years ago.at the time I was commuting to a job 2 states away daily 6 days a week and spent a lot of time working on cruise timing - not saying there was a lot of science or understanding behind it but hundreds of flashes later the cells i was in around 72-74 mph had all the timing they could take without kr on a 3.5pulley/plog/3" dp / supporting mods car that would average 31-32 mpg (480-500 miles out of a tank) and stop at the track on the way home occasionally and run 13.5 @104

PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

Wow so it looks like i should be able to add quite a bit more timing. Im just worried about adding too much timing. I know you can add too much timing and be KR free. Is 50* still a safe amount to run at cruise?

iirc, 50° adv is a firm-coded limit within our OS that can't be changed without TT.

That's a fine piece of work, Murph. I plan on referring to that this summer. TYVM
    Now, the only thing I need is hours of free to dirt-cheap dyno time. Yeah right!

I'd be surprised if 50 was not safe from a detonation or pre-ign standpoint. As to whether it makes more useable torque or just serves to fight the piston on the compression stroke, well...
    Last edited by passingpower; 04-21-2011 at 11:37 PM.

Is this the fuel pump i need to convert to E85?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/High-...Q5fAccessories

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by passingpower View Post
    iirc, 50° adv is a firm-coded limit within our OS that can't be changed without TT.

That's a fine piece of work, Murph. I plan on referring to that this summer. TYVM
    Now, the only thing I need is hours of free to dirt-cheap dyno time. Yeah right!

I'd be surprised if 50 was not safe from a detonation or pre-ign standpoint. As to whether it makes more useable torque or just serves to fight the piston on the compression stroke, well...
    car is still running that cruise timing with 215,000 miles with no mech. issues , effort to climb slight grades was noticeably less as the timing got up into the 40's is 50 better ? I dont know either lol but it takes it just fine
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpo View Post
    Ours are actually pretty close. Check mine out...
    i notice your sc and running 14.7:1

honestly it may seem weird but try running 13:1 or 13.7:1 and check out your performance and mpg. in sc cobalts were running 13:1 and were getting 40 mpg on freeway at 75mph.
    Home of the Impossible

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel_Kings View Post
    i notice your sc and running 14.7:1

honestly it may seem weird but try running 13:1 or 13.7:1 and check out your performance and mpg. in sc cobalts were running 13:1 and were getting 40 mpg on freeway at 75mph.
    in closed loop narrowbands and trims should bring you back to lambda 1 or stoich for the fuel you are running is my understanding

Tuner in Training
    sorry overlooked the tune and we have it set at 14:1

what happens from what i understand is when you set the ratio thats what everything goes by. because fuel trims just add or minus fuel in certain ares of your driving based off of your cars history of you driving it. you re set the ltft's after you change some things with the fuel so your car has to relearn them.

then what most people do is they unplug there MAF copy there high octane table over to the low, drive about 50 miles of everyday driving never going to WOT and just data log to get yourself a nice histogram telling you where fuel was added and where it was taken away, that way you can go back through your tables + or - wherever its needed. (out of memory so some things might be a little skewed sorry.
    Home of the Impossible

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by murphinator View Post
    in closed loop narrowbands and trims should bring you back to lambda 1 or stoich for the fuel you are running is my understanding
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showpo...64&postcount=1
    pretty much same idea excepy at 14.0 not 14.7
    Home of the Impossible