Thread: LogWorks3

Tuner in Training
    Stationed in Pearl Harbor, originally from Gainesville, FL, retiring in Johnsonville, SC

LogWorks3

I am attempting to setup my HPTuners Pro for Wide Band with my NGK Powerdex AFX Wideband Kit and was watching the VIDEO about setting this up in by watching the video in a thread titled: How to Setup Your Wideband in Hp Tuners; found here...

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28176

First steps is to go into your LogWorks3 file, however I do not have that anywhere on my computer.

Where do I get this program from?

Has anyone used this site http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/support.php
    to download LogWorks3?

Thanks,

Micah
    Last edited by mph1972; 04-11-2011 at 06:49 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Logworks is for Innovate widebands. Don't think it works with NGK.

Tuner in Training
    Stationed in Pearl Harbor, originally from Gainesville, FL, retiring in Johnsonville, SC
    Quote Originally Posted by SargeZ06 View Post
    Logworks is for Innovate widebands. Don't think it works with NGK.
    Yep, I am finding that out now.

Now I would have to see about a setup procedure with my tuner. I am probably just going to trade if for a LC-1 setup from Innovate.

Micah

Advanced Tuner
    That would be a big mistake. The NGK is a far superior wideband.

Quote Originally Posted by mph1972 View Post
    Yep, I am finding that out now.

Now I would have to see about a setup procedure with my tuner. I am probably just going to trade if for a LC-1 setup from Innovate.

Micah
    Huge MISTAKE! If you want your wideband setup right use my Excel spreadsheet to create a custom PID for the AUX input on the MPVI Pro cable. Once you input the parameters it will give you the correct divisor and adder to put in the PID to make the sensor read dead on in the scanner.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by LSxpwrdZ View Post
    Huge MISTAKE! If you want your wideband setup right use my Excel spreadsheet to create a custom PID for the AUX input on the MPVI Pro cable. Once you input the parameters it will give you the correct divisor and adder to put in the PID to make the sensor read dead on in the scanner.
    Thanks guys. I am keeping the NGK. I will work on getting it installed this weekend. If you have and "DIY" threads on installing it and setting it up, that would be great. I have reviewed the instructions, but that is not helping me the same way visual aides would.

Sorry I've never made a guide to hooking up the wideband. However I can tell ya a step by step procedure...

The wideband will have 4 wires to hook up:
    Red = Power
    Black = Ground
    Yellow = 0-5v output
    Brown = analog output ground

If you are using this as a permanent install then wire the red power wire to a switched source. The best way to keep down interferance is to use a relay connected to the ignition switch and the source from the battery.

The Black ground wire needs to have a good ground also free of interferance.

The Yellow 0-5v wire will go to your HPT cable to the first pin. If you look at the connector on the side of the cable box the number one pin is the one furthest to the left.

The Brown analog ground wire needs to also go to the HPT cable to either pin 5 or 6.

To setup the wideband in your scanner you'll need to open VCM Scanner and click on the table display. You will notice at the bottom of the table display there are 4 boxes that are seperate from the rest of the parameters.

• one of them should have a label in it that say's "EIO Input 1".
    • click on it to select it
    • right click on it
    • click insert input
    • a window should pop up with an AUX Input List
    • go down to user defined and expand it
    • double click on configure user defined
    • another window will pop up with 5 slots to make custom PID's
    • click on number 1
    • input the name you want it to be, I have mine labeled NGK Lambda
    • click on the sensor drop down menu and select air fuel ratio
    • click on the units drop down menu and select afr
    • now this is where you need the excel spreadsheet I made above...
    • in your tune there is a spot in the fuel tab for stoich fuel ratio, you need to input that value into my spreadsheet under HPTuners Stoich
    • input the wideband parameters in as well, for the NGK 14.57 is stoich and 0v is 9afr and 5v is 16afr
    • the spreadsheet will give you a divisor and a adder. The ones you need to use are the afr units highlighted in red in the spreadsheet
    • going back to the VCM Scanner the divisor get's put under the 1/, and the adder gets input into the addition part of the equation
    • now close that window out and it'll ask to commit changes and click yes
    • now you need to right click on EIO Input 1 again then click on user defined and your custom PID that you just created should be there
    • double click on the PID you created and it should insert it into the EIO Input 1 location
    • now you should be able to log afr when you are scanning your vehicle
    Last edited by LSxpwrdZ; 04-13-2011 at 01:37 AM.
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Tuner in Training
    Sorry I've never made a guide to hooking up the wideband. However I can tell ya a step by step procedure...

The wideband will have 4 wires to hook up:
    Red = Power
    Black = Ground
    Yellow = 0-5v output
    Brown = analog output ground

If you are using this as a permanent install then wire the red power wire to a switched source. The best way to keep down interferance is to use a relay connected to the ignition switch and the source from the battery.

The Black ground wire needs to have a good ground also free of interferance.

The Yellow 0-5v wire will go to your HPT cable to the first pin. If you look at the connector on the side of the cable box the number one pin is the one furthest to the left.

The Brown analog ground wire needs to also go to the HPT cable to either pin 5 or 6.

To setup the wideband in your scanner you'll need to open VCM Scanner and click on the table display. You will notice at the bottom of the table display there are 4 boxes that are seperate from the rest of the parameters.

• one of them should have a label in it that say's "EIO Input 1".
    • click on it to select it
    • right click on it
    • click insert input
    • a window should pop up with an AUX Input List
    • go down to user defined and expand it
    • double click on configure user defined
    • another window will pop up with 5 slots to make custom PID's
    • click on number 1
    • input the name you want it to be, I have mine labeled NGK Lambda
    • click on the sensor drop down menu and select air fuel ratio
    • click on the units drop down menu and select afr
    • now this is where you need the excel spreadsheet I made above...
    • in your tune there is a spot in the fuel tab for stoich fuel ratio, you need to input that value into my spreadsheet under HPTuners Stoich
    • input the wideband parameters in as well, for the NGK 14.57 is stoich and 0v is 9afr and 5v is 16afr
    • the spreadsheet will give you a divisor and a adder. The ones you need to use are the afr units highlighted in red in the spreadsheet
    • going back to the VCM Scanner the divisor get's put under the 1/, and the adder gets input into the addition part of the equation
    • now close that window out and it'll ask to commit changes and click yes
    • now you need to right click on EIO Input 1 again then click on user defined and your custom PID that you just created should be there
    • double click on the PID you created and it should insert it into the EIO Input 1 location
    • now you should be able to log afr when you are scanning your vehicle
    I salute you my friend!

This is very helpful and I am also recruiting a fellow Chief buddy of mine in the Navy that is a NUKE ELECTRICIAN to help with this install. I think I need to find a switch that will look okay in my car. Did you mount a switch? If so, can you provide a pic or two of what and where it is mounted and also where you have your digital display.

Micah

Mine isn't permanently installed. I use my NGK to tune multiple car's so I just put some big alegator clips on the red power and black ground and hook mine directly to the battery and run the cable out the window and under the hood.

Are you wanting to put a switch in the car to turn the wideband on/off? I would wire it so that the key turns the wideband on when the engine is running. It would eliminate the need for a switch.
    ShorTuning

Tuner in Training
    Mine isn't permanently installed. I use my NGK to tune multiple car's so I just put some big alegator clips on the red power and black ground and hook mine directly to the battery and run the cable out the window and under the hood.

Are you wanting to put a switch in the car to turn the wideband on/off? I would wire it so that the key turns the wideband on when the engine is running. It would eliminate the need for a switch.
    I would rather do the key is turned on and it's on and when the key is off, it is off.

Tuner in Training
    Definitely set it up to turn on with ignition. The widebands don't like living in the exhaust without the heater running.
    1988 Mazda RX7 TII - Forged 347" LS1/2004r/3600 stall/Stage III Heads/Cheatr Cam/Precision 76GTS/E85/HP Tuners 3 BAR OS

I will say that you can chop the plug off an old rear o2 sensor and use the power and ground of the factory rear o2 heater circuit to power the wideband. I have no primary o2's in my Camaro and run a dual channel Haltech wideband and it is powered by the factory primary o2 heater circuit. This way anytime the car is on I get power to my wideband. No sense in adding additional circuits and relay's when those may not be in use and are already wired up! Just another option for ya!
    ShorTuning

Tuner in Training
    I will say that you can chop the plug off an old rear o2 sensor and use the power and ground of the factory rear o2 heater circuit to power the wideband. I have no primary o2's in my Camaro and run a dual channel Haltech wideband and it is powered by the factory primary o2 heater circuit. This way anytime the car is on I get power to my wideband. No sense in adding additional circuits and relay's when those may not be in use and are already wired up! Just another option for ya!
    That is a great idea. I will have to looking that when I get under there and start setting things up.

Tuner in Training
    Got the program setup, now off to install the setup.

Tuner in Training
    Well, thanks to the help of James Short, I was successful in getting the wide band hooked up on my car and logged some outstanding data! My ride is running very rich and probably costing me some serious power. Can't wait to hear back from my tuner once he sees the data the wide band provided!

Thanks again!

Tuner in Training
    Got everything set up and running great. Thanks for all the help. The data I have been collecting has been helping my tuner out alot. He is in Texas, so not much he can do personally for me here in Hawaii.

GREAT! Glad you got everything hooked up and working!
    ShorTuning