Thread: questions about timing

questions about timing

what exactly is timing? does it just have to do when the spark is on or off?

when someone says "its pulling timing up top" what does that mean?

what causes timing issues and how do you fix them? is it strictly mechanical, software, or a mixture of both?

do you generally what more or less of it and why?

what can happen if you have too much or too little?
    2008 Sky RL

Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    I looked this page up this morning and got distracted reading about it and forgot why I searched it lol

but to answer the pulling timing up top I have used that in my thread about commanded timing vs actual timing.

What I meant by that is the tune is commanding lets say 16 degrees of advance timing at 5000 rpm at 220% load or what ever the left furthest column is. I don't have it in front of me. But when I log it I am seeing an advance timing of 11 degrees. So somewhere the computer is pulling 5 degrees of advancement for what ever reason. I don't think its proper terminology used on my part by saying its pulling timing up top but I am strictly meaning at a WOT condition the commanded timing isn't equal to the actual timing logged.

Many different things cause timing issues and from discussions with CBSSOB there are tables that pull timing that we dont see... and we just have to compensate for it. This is true in my Sky Redline 2007 but not true in some cobalt ss.

too much will create Knock and can destroy your engine. not enough will reduce engine power and too little I believe can also create knock but dont quote me on that last one...

follow CBSSOB videos for how to tune timing. That is where I started and be conservative till you get the hang of it. I am still being quite conservative in my tune. if you run with KR you are risking a piston or 2 so be careful.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Correction... There are tables we do not see... Yes probably true but as of right now we have all the tables available to correct the issues. Only problem is the corrections make for an unstable tune and a select few of us, no names, currently refuse to put out the information. Because of the dangers in releasing the info is why u don't see any threads with positive corrections.
    If you try something dangerous in your tune and get a good result that is all on your own behalfs.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

To answer your question, there are multiple reasons for timing to be pulled. There are dozens of multiplier tables and factors that go into your actual timing. We would need a datalog of the issue your talking about to narrow it down to a certain thing.

To answer a couple of your questions:
    Timing in a nutshell controls your spark plug by advancing the spark time or retarding it based on what angle your cams or crank is at. If its pulling timing its going to be delaying the spark, advancing the spark time will result in more power until a point. There is a lot that goes into ignition timing so do some reading.
    HP-Unlimited Tuning and Custom Fabrication
    Houston area performance parts dealer
    MD800 Mustang Dyno 713-560-3889 Taylor
    2016 Camaro A8 "shop car" FIRST 6th GEN CAMARO OVER 200mph IN THE MILE 203.5mph

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    Correction... There are tables we do not see... Yes probably true but as of right now we have all the tables available to correct the issues. Only problem is the corrections make for an unstable tune and a select few of us, no names, currently refuse to put out the information. Because of the dangers in releasing the info is why u don't see any threads with positive corrections.
    If you try something dangerous in your tune and get a good result that is all on your own behalfs.
    Lol.
    The tables that control ign timing have been out for like a year and a half. The tables I have access to are the same tables everyone else has. It's not my fault I'm the only one that's figured out how to use them.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    maybe the new engine i ordered will have this problem i can research it more.
    the car i currently own and log every day doesnt have these issues.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

i was going to research it and actually started to but i figured id ask on here first since you guys have first hand experience on what it is and how it affects the lnf. i wanted more or less specifics for timing for the lnf vs a general knowledge of it.

if everything is pretty much the same in all engines then ill just look up timing and go from there but if theres specifics about our engine that doesnt qualify as general timing knowledge then thats what im after.

thanks for the help guys.
    2008 Sky RL