Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Please help find whats missing from my settings. Boosted 2.4l LE5

Please help find whats missing from my settings. Boosted 2.4l LE5

Hello. I'm having some issues with tuning my 07 Saturn Sky 2.4l. I recently built a turbo kit and been trying to get it tuned. I am running a 2 bar map sensor and GM stage 2 injectors (42#) from a 03 ION redline. I had a pretty good base map built for my stock 1 bar map sensor with no CELs or issues. When I put the 2 bar map in I started to have tuning issues and getting P0068 and p0106 causing it to go to limp in mode. Also having issues with the car falling on its face when trying to boost. I plan on running about 10 psi once tuned on pump gas. I have the config file and a log from a drive home if this helps. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Anyone?

Advanced Tuner
    You modified the speed density tables. How did you do that? Those are really damn hard to modify if you dont have matlab or any other super expensive math program.
    1994 Mazda Miata turbo, aero, hoosiers Class=SSM

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!

My buddy must have done that somehow, Hes tuned His ION redline with this program but we are having problems with making a non turbo car accept boost with the ecu.

after further looking, I compared my stock/ base file to the one I uploaded adn the speed density map didnt change at all. Heres my stock file.

I may have figured it out. My map and injector offsets were a little off.

Quote Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
    You modified the speed density tables. How did you do that? Those are really damn hard to modify if you dont have matlab or any other super expensive math program.
    Heres a program created by a fellow tuner. This program is easy to use and it works really well. I used it to alter my VE for my SC 2.4l LE5:

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26884

Directions are on page two:

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...t=26884&page=2
    Solstice GXP
    6758/E47

Advanced Tuner
    I have that one too. The issue I have is that it cant do the cam tables and and I'm not sure how to trick it into doing the cam tables. Its not as easy as just locking the cam into one position. I guess you could get it close enough, by just pretending those tables dont do anything.
    1994 Mazda Miata turbo, aero, hoosiers Class=SSM

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!

Do you know why the scanner boost gauge only reads 1 psi of boost at the most and I cannot get it to enter PE mode?

I'd be willing to bet that letting the pcm know that you have a 2 bar MAP sensor in there would be a definite step in the right direction. Engine Diagnostics > Airflow > MAP sensor. Just speculating without seeing a datalog, but I would imagine being turbo'd, the car will likley exceed the Max. Airflow vs. RPM (Engine Diagnostics > General > P0068 test) pretty easily.

Having the correct injector flow rates will greatly ease the tuning process also. I haven't sat down & calculated what it should be, but what is in the file appears to be stock, not what 42's should be.
    Last edited by Shane Hewitt; 04-24-2011 at 07:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
    I have that one too. The issue I have is that it cant do the cam tables and and I'm not sure how to trick it into doing the cam tables. Its not as easy as just locking the cam into one position. I guess you could get it close enough, by just pretending those tables dont do anything.

You need a somewhat recent BETA to access the variable cam tables.

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrSky07 View Post
    Do you know why the scanner boost gauge only reads 1 psi of boost at the most and I cannot get it to enter PE mode?
    You have your power enrichment delay set to 115 map which is more than 1 psi so I would would gather you would never enter PE because you lean it out well before you get there. I have mine set to 55. Also I would lower your PE hot table. For lower rpms I have it set to around 75 and higher rpms about 40 to make sure I enter PE quickly. My enrichment rate is also 2 to ensure I get to my EQ Ratio as quick as possible.

Also The stock speed density tables are designed to be used for N/A 2.4ls. So the MAP boundaries only go up to 87 MAP(Airflow>Dynamic>Zone MAP Boundaries). I think you will get fueling figures from these zones and if it is exceeded you will use the last value in the table and you will be going almost twice as high as that value at 10psi so you would be way lean. So you would need to adjust your Speed Density accordingly which can be done with the linked program above, or...

an easy and very reliable way around this is to tune your MAF and disable your Dynamic Airflow so you are only using the MAF for fueling calculations (Airflow>Dynamic>High RPM disable). I have a tune with disable at 3200RPM and re-enable at 3100. So the MAF takes over fueling calculations and allows you to well exceed the stock tables with correct fueling.

Also...unless your on e85, you'd be the man if you can get that much timing with 10psi of boost. I am running almost half that up high on 93.
    Solstice GXP
    6758/E47

How would you adjust the timing tables? I haven't been able to boost it yet so I dont know how much counts of knock I have nor what my EGT is yet. I am pretty new to this setup. I only have messed with odb1 honda ecus. That was displayed with rpm vs advance. Is that the same as main spark vs airmass vs rpm open throttle, high octane? Would you just lower the areas where boost kicks in to retard the timing like 1 degree per lb of boost?

Also is there any changes that need to me made to my settings or offsets? Theres a lot of differences between my hpt file and the one I found from a turbo solstice. The solstice i believe has the same 42# injectors and 2 bar map running a turbo. Here is the new hpt file with the changes you recommended and the solstice one.

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrSky07 View Post
    How would you adjust the timing tables?
    Your timing tables should be Spark>Advance>Main Spark Advance

You will need to lower the High Octane and lower the Low Octane table to about 5 degrees or so below that. To be on the safe side you could remove 10 degrees in the higher airmass/rpm areas, but make the transitions smooth and log the data to see where you can make adjustments then start building back up until you begin to see KR

Your MAP sensor offsets are still set up for the stock sensor. 100kpa=14.5psi=1bar so if you have a 2 bar sensor you need to set the the MAP sensor linear to 200kpa and I have been using 4.55 as the offset.

As far as your injectors I believe the stock injectors were 24lb so if you have 42lb now you will need to multiply your injector flow rate constant constant by 1.75 (42/24). Though it already looks like that table has been modified. It is the same in both of your files(Injector Flow Rate vs. Pressure Delta). Hopefully you still have your stock tune to double check your flow rate or just find a stock file in the tune repository.

Also your power enrichment rate can be brought up to 2.0.
    Solstice GXP
    6758/E47

The car is now recognising positive pressure but it is saying I'm building boost when I am not. Do I just mess with the offset value?

Another thing I discovered is that a supercharged ION redline has a 2.5 bar map not a 2 bar like I originally thought. The car at idle shows a vac of -5 and when I press the throttle it goes to 5 or 6 psi instantly on the scanner when it really should be showing 0 boost/vac. Is this the offset issue? I have tried entering 256 for linear and 10 for offset like I found SC corvettes use with this sensor and it didnt seem to help me. I also tried entering the same #s for the map and the supercharger value. Any other things I can try? I also did what you said for taking the stock injector offset and multiplying it by 1.75 and changed the PE mode

I had to disable the diagnostics codes for P0068, P0101, P0106, P0121 by setting the temps and rpms high so the tests will not run because I could not figure out how to get them inline with my tune so they wouldn't throw a CEL. I commonly had 68, 106 popping up for reasons I could not figure out. I disabled them months ago with no apparent consequences that I can tell.

The help guide states:

"MAP Sensor
    The VCM calculates a predicted MAP signal based on current TPS and RPM. If the measured MAP is out of range then P0106 is set. This can be a problem for supercharged vehicles."

I realize your build is a turbo, but maybe this could help get you going.

Also are you sure your sensor is good? Are you using your stock throttle body?
    Solstice GXP
    6758/E47

I have the stock throttle body and a brand new map sensor from a 03 redline. I am not getting any CELs right now. The car has issues running when i set the correct linear for the map sensor. When i put the values back to the stock sensor it runs good again but will not recognize boost. Ive been trying to find the hpt file from another le5 turbo or SC to see what they are doing for this issue. What would cause the scanner to be that far off for recognizing boost/ vac?

I thought the Ion production started in 2003, but Red Lines were not available until 2004? It seems like a MAP sensor issue of either being wrong, faulty or not getting it calibrated since you are able to get different readings with other values for linear/offset.
    Solstice GXP
    6758/E47