Thread: did you find your start to be this overwhelming?

Potential Tuner

did you find your start to be this overwhelming?

oh my.... there's so much to read I thought i could buy this and do lil things here and there... i didn't realize it was going to be so in depth! lots to read (knowledge is power)! its just don't know where to begin!!! Im now aware of the consequences (had an idea before) of not doing it right. i guess patience is going to be key! well if i can get it down and some what right now when i move up to boost oh H/C it'll be that much easier!!! I got some of the basics but....
    WOW!!!!!!!!!
    ive noticed theres write ups on everything and help sections... just dont know what and how it apply to my situation!!!
    Time is on my side.lol

Advanced Tuner
    I feel your pain.
    The Regal has been laid to rest..... rust
    Now have an 06 Lucerne with the 3.8 and wishing HPT would cover that car
    Loved my 2001 Buick Regal GS.
    With more than 334,000K, 3.4 & 3.6 pulley, Change stats and pulleys with the seasons, Upgraded grounds & power wire, Volt booster, Caspers timing commander(AKA happy knob), Spectra intake-fender wall, PLog, 3" DP & 2.5 exhaust, HPTunner 12" Impala duel piston front brakes, New trans,GMPP suspension... yada, yada...

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Nobody has made themselves a tuner over night, simply not posssible.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11178
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Nobody has made themselves a tuner over night, simply not posssible.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11178
    thanks for the link bill! but i got that one already and now am trying to get the jargon down and what it apply to. i want to know i want to learn. it just seams like more than i though it would be. ill give it at least a month before i do anything to my car.

One thing is for sure, I find myself staying up late more and more often. The material is heavy but I'm starting to learn that keeping it simple is probably the best approach I can have when looking over a new car.

To anyone thinking this software is overwhelming at first my advice is to get on this forum and read Read, Read, Read, Read! I read every day on this subject and downloaded every PID, Histogram, Configuration and tune I saw. I learn something new every single day. Even if it doesn’t make sense just keep reading. Learning is never linear. Its like learning one piece of the puzzle and having no where to put it! After a while all those pieces will start falling into place and the light bulb starts to come on. Its this way with anything new you learn. After you have learned all you can yourself find a mentor if possible.
    2010 Camaro SS/RS, I rebuilt 6l80, PATC clutches, ported the heads, Manifold, TB. Billet PATC 3500S 4disk lockup, New Era CAI. Ferrea HS, dual springs, Ti-ret. ARH long tubes-Xpipe, 3.91 gears. 235°/246° .625 .625 113 +4 LSA. VVT ACTIVE to 8 degrees retard. 485rwhp 446ft/lbs

Darin Morgan
    -Induction R&D-EFI calibration
    Reher-Morrison Racing Engines
    Arlington,Texas
    Phone 817-467-7171
    http://www.darinmorgan.com
    http://www.rehermorrison.com

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Darin Morgan View Post
    After you have learned all you can yourself find a mentor if possible.
    ive sent out a couple pm's here and no response not even a Im not going to waist my time with you! finally someone on one of the other tech boards has responded. but yes i ve been reading and now even talking to myself when what ive read has ran its course in my head and i got a grasp on the info. some times its a day or 2 later and i go back and read it again to be sure that how I interpret it is how it is portrayed. i love making those new connections in my brain its better than chocolate!!!
    how i feel...............
    how i wana feel.......

Tuner
    You are not alone in this tech world
    Read
    Ask question
    My E-85 tune is a works in progress
    You will love HP tuner's your brain will love you....

Thanks,
    Mr. 2008 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Morgan View Post
    To anyone thinking this software is overwhelming at first my advice is to get on this forum and read Read, Read, Read, Read! I read every day on this subject and downloaded every PID, Histogram, Configuration and tune I saw. I learn something new every single day. Even if it doesn’t make sense just keep reading. Learning is never linear. Its like learning one piece of the puzzle and having no where to put it! After a while all those pieces will start falling into place and the light bulb starts to come on. Its this way with anything new you learn. After you have learned all you can yourself find a mentor if possible.
    ^
    This is exactly my experience. I'm still new at this and it can be very overwhelming. Things I didn't understand before slowly "clicked" and fell into place.

Just a lot of time and a lot of patience to understand. Reading is most important. Read everything. Learn more by doing. Ask LOTS of questions. Sometimes something might be new to everyone and no one will really know... Some of it can be trial and error and mistakes WILL happen. Just be careful and triple check your work.

That's all I got because that's all I know :lol: Still a neewb here.
    Total Masshole.
    2013 F150 FX4 Supercrew Ecoboost - STOCK
    2013 Mustang GT Premium - Lots of Mods, 424 RWHP SOLD
    2009 Cobalt SS/TC Black Sedan
    227whp/224wtq Stock. Dejon CP, K&N SRI, Forge BPV, Catless, BadMab Catless DP, MPx 3" Catback, HPT Tuned 328whp/425wtq. SOLD
    2004 GTO Pulse Red 1 of 512 - R.I.P. 5/31/09

Tuner in Training
    Yep, this. is. brutal.

Tuner in Training
    new to the software and i myself have spent more time on the forum than with my family...i want to learn the best strategies asap as everyone would like too as well.

i have the first greg banish dvd. and thinking about the tuning school. ive had hpt for 1.5 weeks now

I did too. Got the demo software and there's a LOT more in there than I expected. Bought Greg Banish's DVD to introduce me to this new world. I think there is only so much you can find on here (forum.) I read thru everything in the getting started section, but I still have a lot of questions.

I have someone in mind I could as to be a mentor, but I was kind of under the impression that he was a bit of a hack (only one person's opinion.) Even though everyone has their own styles of tuning. I think he tuned my car a little safe now, but I dunno. When I get the full HPT software, I'll post a logfile and ask for some input. (He uses HPT)
    Last edited by Bayer-Z28; 07-24-2011 at 03:03 PM.
    2002 Z06 corvette. Heads cam. The usual.