Thread: Effects of EVAP when VE Tuning with STFT

Tuner in Training

Question Effects of EVAP when VE Tuning with STFT

I'm working on tuning VE using STFT and I wondered about the effects of the EVAP system on fuel trims. Right now, I'm disabling MAF, LTFT, DFCO, CFO and PE then logging the STFT in a histogram. I edit the VE "table", update the equations using EQ <> VE and repeat.

I think I'm on the right track, but I got to thinking about the LTFT cells and how cells 21-36 were used when EVAP was closed. Most of time the cells I see are 0-15 (EVAP open), which could mean that a little bit of fuel vapor is being added. Would this matter as far as using STFT to tune VE?

I don't think it would matter much but eliminating another variable might help reduce the number of iterations to get VE sorted out. Does anyone do anything about this or am I just crazy? I started looking at the differences between the histograms if I added filters for the fuel cells but wanted to know if I should just let them average out.

Thanks.

If you are tuning the VE, make sure you disable the EVAP or it will skew your data. Maybe not a whole lot, and make in just certain areas, but definitely eliminate that variable
    Andrew

2006 Duramax ECSB - Banks Monster Dual Exhaust, Tie Rod Sleeves, Kennedy Twin Deluxe Lift Pumps, Edge Insight CTS with Pryo, EGR Blocker Plate, PVC Reroute, Suncoast Stage 5 trans with 1056 triple disk converter, Cognito Steering Braces, PPE Race Valve, LML driver side exhaust manifold, AFE Boost Tube, Stock Drop-in BatMoWheel, ProFab Performance 3" Downpipe, Other mods along the way, TUNED by ME... Way too much fun

Tuner in Training
    I don't think you can disable EVAP within the PCM, but maybe I'm wrong. I don't really want to remove it either. Am I just asking a dumb question?
    -- J.

2007 Z06, Haltech KBII intake, Katech torquer cam, Kooks 1 7/8 headers and Corsa exhaust (with cats)

I am not sure if you can tune the PCM to disable EVAP, but check your scanner controls. I forget what that function is called, but it is where you can control idle, tranny, things of that nature with you scanner. IDK with gen 4's, but with gen 3's you can command the EVAP not to purge. Try that and see if you are able to do that.
    Andrew

2006 Duramax ECSB - Banks Monster Dual Exhaust, Tie Rod Sleeves, Kennedy Twin Deluxe Lift Pumps, Edge Insight CTS with Pryo, EGR Blocker Plate, PVC Reroute, Suncoast Stage 5 trans with 1056 triple disk converter, Cognito Steering Braces, PPE Race Valve, LML driver side exhaust manifold, AFE Boost Tube, Stock Drop-in BatMoWheel, ProFab Performance 3" Downpipe, Other mods along the way, TUNED by ME... Way too much fun

Filter out fuel trim cells above 20. That's what I do.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Tuner in Training
    Thanks, that's what I was doing (filtering out data when fuel trim cells were above 15). However, isn't that when EVAP is open? My understanding is that 16-19 are idle and 20 is decel. I don't really think filtering the other way would work as the car spends most of its time in the lower cells. Oh well, if that's how the car normally operates I guess it doesn't really matter.
    -- J.

2007 Z06, Haltech KBII intake, Katech torquer cam, Kooks 1 7/8 headers and Corsa exhaust (with cats)

Advanced Tuner
    my car is usually below 17 when driving which means its always open.

at startup is when im at 37, thats why my stft's are high. seems backwards to me.

this is the table i thought the evap operates.

EVAP Open
    0 - 15 defined by the LTFT RPM and MAP boundaries
    16 - Idle PN (AC on)
    17 - Idle PN (AC off)
    18 - Idle InGear (AC on)
    19 - Idle InGear (AC off)
    20 - Decel

EVAP Closed
    21 - 36 defined by the LTFT RPM and MAP boundaries
    37 - Idle
    38 - Decel

-Carl

The description in the help file doesn't make sense to me, but filtering the way I suggested has worked for me.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Tuner
    Can't you just unplug the EVAP purge plug??

Quote Originally Posted by fast400 View Post
    Can't you just unplug the EVAP purge plug??
    Sorry for the old thread bump....

BUT, can someone confirm if the evap solenoid is unplugged, and the error IS reported, that it will not make "corrections" to fuel trims based on the LTFT Purge reduction factor table?

Also, if I want the Reduction Factor table to have zero impact to fuel trims, would I set it to 0 or 2?
    Last edited by schpenxel; 06-03-2015 at 01:20 PM.
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

I have the exact same question as above, and per usual there's no answer and I can't find a similar thread anywhere...
    2007 Saturn Sky 5M LE5
    - K04 Turbo
    1992 Eddie Bauer Bronco 351
    - Too much to list