Thread: cranks but won't start

cranks but won't start

I need help.!! got a 1972 chevy pickup 4x4 which i have installed a LY6 and 6L90E got current performance to modify the stock harness and ECM since then the truck refuses to start! there is no pulse to the injectors! I have cheaked vats 1 and vats 2 all disabled but still won't fire! talked to Jarod at CP he downloaded the file and can't get it to run either! is there something with this operating system for this model year? I have a different OS in another ECM that runs the truck but the MAP is on the + side of vacuum even at idle! I think I read somewhere that there is some kind of a starter cheak that the PCM looks for but I have the schematics right from GM and I can't find it!! Any direction on this would greatly appreicated...... I've been at this for months!
    53 Mercury pickup triton3v V10 supercharged 150 nos 535rwhp
    71 Roadrunner gen 4 viper
    53 Chevy pickup 4x4 5.3L twin turbo

Post your tune.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Senior Tuner
    Did you do a write entire after disabling VATS?

An improper map signal can cause no injector pulse. Ran into the same problem on a 2004 Monte Carlo SS with the supercharged 3800. The other shop that worked on the car installed a 1 bar map sensor from a NA 3800, so the key on, engine off map read ~140 KPA. Installed the correct map sensor, the car fired right up.

Also, check the closed throttle TPS%, just had a 1995 Suburban towed in that had no injector pulse. The closed throttle TPS was 96%, thus was in clear flood mode. New TPS sensor fixed the no injector pulse issue.

Russ Kemp
    Last edited by Russ K; 03-29-2011 at 02:27 PM.

If i'm doing this right this should be my tune!
    Attachment 27642

I sent it as an attachment hope it works! I've installed a procharger and have 60lbs injectors with a 1-1 fuel pressure reg but i would like to make it run correct first unless someone on here has the same setup with a tune file that I could use! just kinda kill two birds with one stone!

in your operating system tab there is a selection box "starter checks" - right under "VATS 1 & VATS 2"
    its set to enable... change it to disable and it will start
    -----------------------------
    Ultimate Conversion Wiring

So I cheak under operating system tab there is a VATS1 and VATS2 (both on disable) but no starter cheak option under this tab or any tab!!! I did find it on the second pcm I have as you stated Doubledip but this pcm has a different OS and the truck runs... but dosent like it! I am new to this so any info on this stuff is extremely helpfull! I think I'm just gonna give up on the stock ECM and work on the one that the truck runs on. I'll post the tune here and with some coaching from all you guys maybe I can first figure out why the MAP is on the +side of vac and fine tune it from there!

"Starter Checks" shows up for me also, when I view the tune you have posted.
    2014 Silverado 5.3 - New Mod Template

Quote Originally Posted by 53mercury View Post
    So I cheak under operating system tab there is a VATS1 and VATS2 (both on disable) but no starter cheak option under this tab or any tab!!! I did find it on the second pcm I have as you stated Doubledip but this pcm has a different OS and the truck runs... but dosent like it!
    i only went off the tune you posted for us above.. it has starter checks and i know it needs to be disabled to have car run (if the starter relay isnt wired into the loom)

sorry best i can do

Holly.... I'm not sure what I'm doin wrong? Opened my file named " right ECM for engine " and I can't find the " starter cheak option"!!! I opened my second file which is listed "2nd PCM " and bingo there it is! It is on disable in the second file and it will start and run the truck but the tune is all wrong it must be for a 6.2L or something! Thank you guys for taking the time and cheaking this out now all I need is a stock 08 6.0L file that I can build off of. Is there a list of recent tunes that a guy could see or use? Not sure if there is such a thing..... I'm still new and tinkering!

have you tried looking at the file you actually posted (i.e download the one on the forum) its definately there.. all i can think of is that you have them labelled wrong before uploading... also what version of HP's are you running... dont think that is the problem as you can see starter checks in some files but not others

Ok I'll try that Doubledip thanks again for the help by the way I'm running the newest version of hp 2.2 I think! Any way to scoop a boosted tune off here anywhere? I installed a Procharger and would like a good starting point! Thanks again

so it's not a Beta ?? maybe thats the problem... have a look in "help" , "about"

Ok I'll look for the exact version of hp tuner and in the help when I get home. Thanks. I'll keep posting here with what I find later today.

version 2.22

Updated to beta just last week and whaddya know plugged this ECM into the truck and there it was 'starter cheak' enabled! I guess the older version didn't see this! Well I got 2 Workin ECM's now thanks for your help guys.

no worries... glad to help..

have seen a few conversion guys get stuck on this one. Thanks to HP's having the disable feature it has made it easier/nicer than having to run dummy loads of the ECU to simulate a starter relay.

Potential Tuner

Same problem

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledip View Post
    no worries... glad to help..

have seen a few conversion guys get stuck on this one. Thanks to HP's having the disable feature it has made it easier/nicer than having to run dummy loads of the ECU to simulate a starter relay.
    Have a question I?m having the same problem and I did all the things that supposed to make it start and still no start

That?s great. How about more info ????
    Post tune. What ecu. Do you have spark. Do you have injector pulse. Do you have fuel pressure ?????