Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cam Phaser limiter tune check please

Cam Phaser limiter tune check please

OK so I have a friend who installed cam phaser limiters on his 04 F150 5.4.

It bucks now and will not accelerate, and has a very bad loss of power, so they called me to see if I could figure out the problem. Also, the idle is rough, but not super nasty..

So I found that the limiters limit the retard to 20* max camshaft retard.

So I opened up the tune and changed a few things and got it running. pretty smooth but but my time got cut short and I had to leave, but when I left it was running pretty smooth but had very little power above 3Kish RPM.

I figured maybe someone here could take a look at it and see if I missed something. All they want it for it to run smooth, have decent power, and idle smooth. Regular 87 octane, no racing or anything like that..

Enclosed are the stock tune and the modified tune. Thanks guys!

So nobody here has ever tuned a Ford with Cam Phaser Limiters installed? Nobody has played with the VVT? Am I the first lol?

Quote Originally Posted by christopherstone View Post
    So nobody here has ever tuned a Ford with Cam Phaser Limiters installed? Nobody has played with the VVT? Am I the first lol?
    it limits it to 20* in either direction, so in every vct table you should limit the table to 20*
    Owner of Cunningham Motorsports

06 z06
    2016 camaro
    68 Camaro
    2014 e63 amg
    07 LBZ Duramax

Quote Originally Posted by rynez06 View Post
    it limits it to 20* in either direction, so in every vct table you should limit the table to 20*
    Yup, thats what I did.. 18* actually

Tuner in Training
    Any other mods? And why did they put limiters in?

Quote Originally Posted by svtadam27 View Post
    Any other mods? And why did they put limiters in?
    Nope. Bone stock. Guy has had two phasers go out, and was tired of replacing them, so he decided to put the Comp Cams limiters in this time. I dont know why, but thats what he did...

So I was asked to tune it to run smooth. I did it for free so I didnt really go all out..guy just wanted it to run lol so I said F it and ill do it haha..

I was thinking and thinking...whyyy put limiters on there?

Come to find out, the guy doesnt really know what hes talking about.

I think he put LOCKOUTs on there and didnt replace the phasers. Because it runs smooth and quiet as can be.

Just installing limiters without replacing the noisy phasers wouldnt make it run quiet I would think, so I am pretty sure he put lockouts..

Durrrr...I was wondering why haha...the guy speaks decent english but he kept saying limiters limiters...I was like, "OK , ill tune it for limiters then"

So now hes got a tune for VVT but has no VVT. Maybe I should call him up and let him know... and just disable the VVT feature altogether??

I kept asking him if they were lockouts...Im thinking I could disable VVT, and copy timing tables from a stock without VVT and call it day...

Either way, Ive relearned the fact that people dont always know what the hell they put on their cars lol....

Did this ever get figured out? I just purchased lockouts and need to tune my truck. Can you post the tune file? Thanks!

Tuner
    the wilder the cam the more ignition timing at low rpms since you lower dynamic cylinder pressure, in the low rpm range you should increase spark advance down low, also check your cam timing doing some datalog to see if its not getting to retarded at low rpm

Quote Originally Posted by ugotsmoked View Post
    Did this ever get figured out? I just purchased lockouts and need to tune my truck. Can you post the tune file? Thanks!
    Just disable the VVT in the tune and you are set to go buddy.

Youll be fine

Potential Tuner
    I'm new to the whole tune thing and was wondering if there is a certain tuner that i have to put these files on in order to put them on my truck. The newer fords are not just a plug and play off of a pc i dont think...

Quote Originally Posted by christopherstone View Post
    OK so I have a friend who installed cam phaser limiters on his 04 F150 5.4.

It bucks now and will not accelerate, and has a very bad loss of power, so they called me to see if I could figure out the problem. Also, the idle is rough, but not super nasty..

So I found that the limiters limit the retard to 20* max camshaft retard.

So I opened up the tune and changed a few things and got it running. pretty smooth but but my time got cut short and I had to leave, but when I left it was running pretty smooth but had very little power above 3Kish RPM.

I figured maybe someone here could take a look at it and see if I missed something. All they want it for it to run smooth, have decent power, and idle smooth. Regular 87 octane, no racing or anything like that..

Enclosed are the stock tune and the modified tune. Thanks guys!

you might look at the basics, the 3 valve break off spark plugs sometimes get worn out pretty quick like 40-50000 miles had a few that had misfires so bad above 3000 it felt like they fell on their face (you could see this if you could check mode 6 data) also there were a few blocks that were bad that caused the knock sensors to retard timing below 0% I never have seen where Ford ever explained why,they just recommended a new short block.

Potential Tuner
    I too need to know what tuner I need to use to disable my VCT in 04 f150, just put lockouts in. Thanks for any help.

Potential Tuner
    Anybody?!?!?! I really appreciate that somebody made this tune but I do not know what tuner to put this on!! Please help if anybody knows!!

Advanced Tuner
    You will need a HPTuners interface with Ford credits. The OP figured out that he only needed to disable VVT in the tune, so you don't need his tune. Just turn off VVT.

Potential Tuner
    Is this something that I download on my PC? Or something that I purchase?
    Quote Originally Posted by txcharlie View Post
    You will need a HPTuners interface with Ford credits. The OP figured out that he only needed to disable VVT in the tune, so you don't need his tune. Just turn off VVT.

Potential Tuner
    Somebody posted a reply to our question!! Haha
    Quote Originally Posted by brcarpenter58 View Post
    I too need to know what tuner I need to use to disable my VCT in 04 f150, just put lockouts in. Thanks for any help.

Advanced Tuner
    http://www.hptuners.com/order.php

You may be able to find a used one if you look around.
    The VCM suite is 2 different programs. The Editor is used to read tunes out of the vehicle, modify it and then load it back in.
    The Scanner is used to monitor and record what the PCM is doing on the vehicle.
    The interface is the hardware needed to connect your laptop to the vehicle via OBD2, in order to use either Editor or Scanner.

Potential Tuner
    So I only actually need the editor?? And what would it be called so I can eBay it?
    I am sorry for all of the questions haha I'm new to this whole thing. I will only need the editor to use it on one vehicle. I would think that it would help make it cheaper to buy.
    http://www.hptuners.com/order.php

You may be able to find a used one if you look around.
    The VCM suite is 2 different programs. The Editor is used to read tunes out of the vehicle, modify it and then load it back in.
    The Scanner is used to monitor and record what the PCM is doing on the vehicle.
    The interface is the hardware needed to connect your laptop to the vehicle via OBD2, in order to use either Editor or Scanner.

Potential Tuner
    ????????? Please answer my most recent questions haha

Advanced Tuner
    HP Tuners VCM suite.
    The interface and credits are what you pay for.
    The Editor and Scanner are included.
    There are 2 versions, Standard and Pro. The Pro has ports for external inputs like WB, etc.
    Credits are $50 each(a new one comes with 8 credits) and I believe most vehicles require 2 credits, so keep that in mind if you buy a used one, as it may not have any credits.
    There are Ford credits and GM credits and they do not interchange. If you buy one with GM credits, you will have to buy Ford credits to use it.
    Good luck!