Thread: Help With Tune

Help With Tune

Have a customer that has a ls376/480 hot cam in a 99 firebird. It wont idle most of the time and dies at stop signs. Anyone see anything that would cause that on this tune?
    Factory ls1 pcm
    ls3 injectors
    Hot cam
    slp lid
    ls2 maf
    90 or 92 mm fast tb
    ls1 map sensor
    Last edited by jseely; 04-14-2011 at 09:53 PM.

98 Z28
    stock ls1 engine,A4,Fast 90/90,SLP lid,Ms3 112LSA,LT Headers,TCI 3500stall,semens 60 inj,ASP under drive ,3.73 gear,11.82 1/4 .sold

the last post says that is not accurate?

Assuming you're using a LS1 block, does the LS3 cam have the cam pickup on it? There is a few things that would cause issues with this setup; the above concern, wrong injector data, bad MAF data from the new MAF, throttle body not setup properly for correct idle airflow and obviously the tune in the computer.
    2001 Z06 - 417 LS3 - LPE CNC LS3 heads - LPE GT-11 cam - ARH 1 7/8" - LPE C6 intake - RPM 3.73 diff - tuned with HP Tuners
    2008 Silverado 5.3 - Dynatech LT headers - Volant Cool Air intake - 280whp/303wtq - tuned with HP Tuners

www.davenportmotorsports.com

It is a ls376 create engine.

What does it use for a crank reluctor wheel and cam pickup? Computer needs 24 tooth crank input and cam is 1X input. Engine is 58 tooth crank and 4X cam. Maybe you know this, just starting with basic ideas.
    The throttle body needs to be setup for idle air minimums, and injector data needs to be confirmed.
    Last edited by Sherminator; 03-28-2011 at 08:01 PM.
    2001 Z06 - 417 LS3 - LPE CNC LS3 heads - LPE GT-11 cam - ARH 1 7/8" - LPE C6 intake - RPM 3.73 diff - tuned with HP Tuners
    2008 Silverado 5.3 - Dynatech LT headers - Volant Cool Air intake - 280whp/303wtq - tuned with HP Tuners

Have been running lingenfelter 58x to 24x conversion would not advise anyone to get. Has done went thru 3 of them. Currently have the motor disasembled changing it to 24x and 1x or 2x. I'm new to the tuning side. Full time tech. This car has been to several dyno tunning shops and they cant get it to idle. Trying to fig out something i dont know much about. It has ls3 knock sensors can you use them with a ls1 pcm? From what i have read you cant.

Use the LS1 knock sensors and mount them to the side of the block where the LS3 ones are...you will need to drill and tap the hole bigger for the LS1 style thread. Racetronix sells an extension wiring kit. You need a 1X cam gear(picture below), they come in 2005 corvettes only. The LS3 cam sensor will work. You need a black crank sensor(a LS1 sensor) for the 24X crank reluctor wheel...NOT the LS2/LS3/LS7 silver/gray sensor.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by jseely View Post
    Have been running lingenfelter 58x to 24x conversion would not advise anyone to get. Has done went thru 3 of them. Currently have the motor disasembled changing it to 24x and 1x or 2x. I'm new to the tuning side. Full time tech. This car has been to several dyno tunning shops and they cant get it to idle. Trying to fig out something i dont know much about. It has ls3 knock sensors can you use them with a ls1 pcm? From what i have read you cant.
    jseely,

What problems are the Lingenfelter converer boxes causing? On the knock sensors my LS1's have been rethreaded to fit the LS3 block so my block would not needto be modified.

Jon

Advanced Tuner
    Why aren't you using the PCM that comes with the LS376??? E67 I believe...

The lingenfelter boxes last about 10-11 months and go out. First one they would not warranty was just over warranty time. Second one they wouldn't warranty because i cut the wires and extended them to be about 2 ft. longer so it would get the box inside the car out of the heat trying to fix thier issue. They said i must have fried the board, when i done it basically but funny it made it about 10 months before it went out. The third time didnt bother with warranty just changed the crank gear cam gear and sensors. No more 300 dollar boxes every year. Seemed to go out when he raced it. Also changed cam and got away from the hot cam. Didnt use the ls376 harness b/c the wiring invlolved to make everything work. Also since running a 4l60e would have to buy a transmission control module and harness b/c the harness they sent with it was basically a stand alone harness for engine only.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jseely View Post
    The lingenfelter boxes last about 10-11 months and go out. First one they would not warranty was just over warranty time. Second one they wouldn't warranty because i cut the wires and extended them to be about 2 ft. longer so it would get the box inside the car out of the heat trying to fix thier issue. They said i must have fried the board, when i done it basically but funny it made it about 10 months before it went out. The third time didnt bother with warranty just changed the crank gear cam gear and sensors. No more 300 dollar boxes every year. Seemed to go out when he raced it. Also changed cam and got away from the hot cam. Didnt use the ls376 harness b/c the wiring invlolved to make everything work. Also since running a 4l60e would have to buy a transmission control module and harness b/c the harness they sent with it was basically a stand alone harness for engine only.
    You're doing yourself a diservice....

That's when you get a harness from a new body style pickup, say 08 with a 5.3 and 4l60e. Then you hack it up, deleting what you don't need.

Then you have the PCM, TCM and a good harness. Viola!

Already had this harness works fine without the convertor.