Thread: What would be the reason this file is modified?

Tuner in Training

What would be the reason this file is modified?

I just bought an 04 M6 GTO. The previous owner claimed it was stock, which it appears to be part wise, but it would never make me do the 1-4 shift, so I knew there was something going on. I was finally able to pull the file tonight, and after looking at it, it looks like the 1-4 shift was shut off. I also noticed that the speed limiter was changed to 255mph. A couple other things I noticed:

IFR vs. KPA VAC table is slightly changed. Any reason why this table would be changed, even just the small amount that this one is?

The rev limiter's were changed. I'm an LS1 newbie, but is it ok to rev it this high? Is it still making power at that point?

Under Engine>Fuel control>PE - what are the changes in this area doing?

Why would the COT be disabled?

What about the changes in the timing tables? Is it safe to run these advanved like they are? The streets are wet here, but I tried a little WOT scan. I noticed 1* of kr, but it went away quickly. Any reason why these would be advanced over stock, on a stock car?

And, the table under spark retard that is changed...I don't understand why anyone would possibly change this amount...?

Also, the changes under Engine>TQ Manangement...I don't understand why this would be changed on an otherwise stock car.

One last thing...it looks like there is a 180* T-stat installed in the car, according to how the scanner reads, and how the fans are setup.

I'd appreciate the help, if you guys could take a guess as to why some of these things were changed, and how.

And, what should I do with all these changes? I'm not a big fan of starting out with a modified file, so should I import all the stock data and write a stock file?

The "first read" file is off my car. The other I downloaded from the HPT repository.

TIA!
    Attached Files Attached Files

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    pcm is not stock.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Compare your file against 2 or 3 stock tunes from repository.
    If your file appears to be modified, you can bet it is. Maybe not by the guy who sold it to you, but by a previous owner.

Tuner in Training
    Yes, I know it's modified.

What I'm asking is, it doesn't appear to be a "dyno tune" to me. What would be the reason that some of the tables are changed?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    As the original tuner I suppose.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Probably the owner wanted to make more power and not be restricted by the factory presets.....? People modify tunes on stock vehicles all the time.

Yes, it's been "tuned".. Not very well.. PE was changed to reflect ~12.7 @ wot. Problem is the MAF tables aren't touched so you're not seeing that AFR at all. As far as everything else, no biggie. Pull timing if you feel its necessary, if you have cats put COT back on and the MKR vs RPM can be put back to stock.

Read around here and back on LS1GTO and LS1Tech and start tuning her yourself!
    2006 CGM A4