Thread: Lots of knock, stock 2005 C6... help!

Potential Tuner

Lots of knock, stock 2005 C6... help!

Hey guys,

I have a 2005 C6 Corvette (manual) here and we are having some problems with knock, which may or may not be false. The car made

362 Stock
    364 Axle-back
    373 Axle-back and Intake
    365 Axle-back, intake and handheld tuner

Returned the tune back to stock with the handheld and we are still back down in the 365-range. Broke out the laptop and started scanning, seeing 4-6-8 degrees of knock from 3000-6500.

KR seems to be "random" but I mainly see it around 3800-4200, at least that is the large spike. Changed Max Valid from 12 to 1.3 and doubled the decay... didn't do anything. Added some fuel (it was a touch lean, like 13.4 at 4000) and it got worse. Changed plugs/wires, same thing.

I checked the tune file vs. another stock from the repository, verified that it is stock.

Now, I have heard these things like to have some false knock, but we have already checked the usual suspects (exhaust) for rubbing, doesn't seem to be the case. Also, it does this on the street, so it can't be a dyno thing.

I am a noobie, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Justin

What is the mileage on the car? Any odd sounds from the engine? To determine false or actual knock, cut the timing down by a sufficient amount like 10 degrees in the suspect areas, confirm good premium fuel(no additives as most off the shelf ones are junk and your car is mostly stock so not needed). If you still have it then it's a mechanical problem ie plugged cats, bad sensors(knock, MAF), bad fuel injector(s), mechanical noise(valvetrain, loose exhaust, loose drivetrain items)

Try one thing at a time and see the results.
    2001 Z06 - 417 LS3 - LPE CNC LS3 heads - LPE GT-11 cam - ARH 1 7/8" - LPE C6 intake - RPM 3.73 diff - tuned with HP Tuners
    2008 Silverado 5.3 - Dynatech LT headers - Volant Cool Air intake - 280whp/303wtq - tuned with HP Tuners

www.davenportmotorsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by JustinC View Post
    KR seems to be "random" but I mainly see it around 3800-4200, at least that is the large spike.
    This is generally where peak torque and cylinder pressures are coming in. If it's going to knock anywhere, this is usually the first place and makes sense.
    Added some fuel (it was a touch lean, like 13.4 at 4000) and it got worse.
    You ADDED fuel to get to 13.4:1? How lean were you trying to run and why?

You're basically right on top of peak flame speed at this ratio, so you're going to have a very rapid burn event that isn't going to be tolerant of fuel octane deficiencies. This might work on a dedicated race car, but I'd want more safety margin and cooling. I would suggest trying again down around lambda=0.87 (12.7ish) and see how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherminator View Post
    What is the mileage on the car? Any odd sounds from the engine? To determine false or actual knock, cut the timing down by a sufficient amount like 10 degrees in the suspect areas, confirm good premium fuel(no additives as most off the shelf ones are junk and your car is mostly stock so not needed). If you still have it then it's a mechanical problem ie plugged cats, bad sensors(knock, MAF), bad fuel injector(s), mechanical noise(valvetrain, loose exhaust, loose drivetrain items)

Try one thing at a time and see the results.
    Valid statement but false knock can also come from noises you can't hear by ear...The LS2 knock function is very aggressive and sensitive. I agree with Sherminator to pull a decent of spark and see if it still exists..could be bad fuel as well..

Big question is how much spark is commanded and how much is the PCM pulling?

Also try adding some fuel down there if its lean...my experience with LS2 engines is that like fuel down low..you can also knock if your too rich as well.I would also run an lambda of .85 at peak power.

Then if it is real knock then you can move to another direction...

Howard
    Full Service GM Late Model Performance Facility

www.redline-motorsports.net
    Follow US on FACEBOOK!
    Follow us on Instagram! redline_motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by Redline MS View Post
    Valid statement but false knock can also come from noises you can't hear by ear
    Very true!
    2001 Z06 - 417 LS3 - LPE CNC LS3 heads - LPE GT-11 cam - ARH 1 7/8" - LPE C6 intake - RPM 3.73 diff - tuned with HP Tuners
    2008 Silverado 5.3 - Dynatech LT headers - Volant Cool Air intake - 280whp/303wtq - tuned with HP Tuners

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for all of the response so far.

Sherminator - The engine doesn't make any strange noise or audible knock and it has ~48k on the odometer.

Quote Originally Posted by eficalibrator View Post
    You ADDED fuel to get to 13.4:1? How lean were you trying to run and why?
    Greg,

No, I added fuel FROM 13.4, bringing it down to 12.5-12.8 and it got worse. The stock tune was running around 13.4 from 2500-4500), which was lean and I was hoping that some extra fuel would make it better... no dice.

Howard,

I have attached a datalog showing Advance and KR, please let me know what you think. Again, this is with the factory tune, no changes. You can ignore the WB02, it wasn't hooked up for this run. The KR you see spikes to 6.2 and 5.2-degrees.

Do what we suggested and see what happens.