Thread: Anybody using Mac to run HPtuners??

Tuner in Training

Anybody using Mac to run HPtuners??

wondering how many people are doing it? is it fast while running wine?
    might just bite the bullet and get a windows laptop...
    feedback appreciated

Zach

I use a 15.4" Mac book pro with windows parallels. Everything looks & works like a pc. No issues running Hp Tuners on it. Love the battery life, no need to use an inverter anymore.

Russ Kemp

i run a 13" macbook, im using the bootcamp loader and windows xp, hpt works exactly as it should and the battery life on the mac is better than all the other laptops iv had befor.
    Give it a go yourself first, if it doesnt work out then pay someone.

Advanced Tuner
    I've been running windows programs on Macs for years. Virtual PC used to be the only way to do it and it didn't work that great.

In my MacBook Pro I'm running Windows 7 and Mac OSX on a solid state drive, and Windows XP off of a .5TB standard drive, both internal. Booting up directly in Windows 7 off an SSD in a Mac is faster, has awesome battery life and is more reliable than anything I've had in the past. (PC's included) I personally would recommend using Bootcamp to run Windows natively off the Intel processors.

Potential Tuner
    Ah I dual boot with refit and go into windows xp to do my hpt, works great though.

Potential Tuner
    I use a 15" macbook pro with VMFusion. Has both Windows XP & 7 loaded and either of them work just fine.

Same as above. Running a newer 13" MacBook pro using bootcamp to load windows on a separate partition and using refit to select boot drive on startup.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Potential Tuner
    i Have my 13 inch macbook pro ,but i have no idea where my cd is ,i bought it last year arround july ,could i still install windows 7 ? and run hp tuners ?

I have a Mac book pro 17 and mac book air 13. I setup both with windows and refit. Both have run HP tuners and several other tuning suites.. only use the mac book air now for tuning but it works great. Running under 64bit 7 pro as well.
    06 LBZ DMax / 6spd Allison 4x4 ACSB - Self built/tuned sideways s366 setup | DPC converter / Co-Pilot | Holley HP150 / BD Filter setup | hood stack | Homebuilt IC pipes | Homebuilt Trac Bars | Black951's | Coolingmist stg1 | ISSpro | PPE | self lowered 3/5 | Roll Pan 12.6@105 5800ft (stock trans)
    02 WRX w/ STi 6spd - Self built/tuned Holset setup w/ a buttload of other goodies 11.75@119mph 4800ft (stock block) Built Motor finished!
    TJI Tuning

Tuner in Training
    thanks for the replies, just installed refit with XP and bootcamp, hope to have hptuners soon
    10.82@126
    stock blower 3800
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gyLoTOlz4U

Potential Tuner
    Awesome news. My 11" Air is the perfect size and battery life. I hated to think I would need a bootcamp or pc notebook.

Potential Tuner

Potential Tuner
    Tiger?

Quote Originally Posted by ridnlow View Post

Old thread I know, thought it best to post here vs starting a new...

Short version, can the Mac users among us direct me to the path I need to take to acquire Win 7 and get it on to my 2012 Mac Book Pro 15"? Do I need to partition, etc? Any local MAC shop in the Portland Oregon area that is worthy of doing this or is it easy enough to tackle DIY?

Long version for those of you really bored...
    My PC laptop is is an old 1.26 GHz 480 MB ram Averatec running Win XP with a 3 year old battery that is struggling to hold battery charge for any length time now, (10-20 minutes tops), its built in wifi doesn't communicate with our new WiFi so not able to download latest HP-T update, other tunes to use in compare, etc. (no idea why it wont communicate, have messed with the WiFi settings on both the laptop and WiFi broadcaster, it still communicates with StarBucks WiFi fine), figure its time to retire the old dog and move on. It has served me well in dialing in the 6.0LSx powered M3 and wifes 01 Burb, along with a few other LSx powered BMW tunes though it's probably time to retire it.

Fast forward, bought a 2012 MacBook Pro 15" new last summer, LOVE it, been using an older iMac for home use over the past 8 years or so, LOVE the idea of being able to us my MB-Pro 15" for my tuning needs, mainly cause my old laptop is old, its battery is done, would prefer to use only one machine for all my computing needs and I love the 6+ hours of battery life I've been experiencing with it, (bonus for those long driving tunes).

Thanks in advance,
    Paul

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by BRAAPZ View Post
    Old thread I know, thought it best to post here vs starting a new...

Short version, can the Mac users among us direct me to the path I need to take to acquire Win 7 and get it on to my 2012 Mac Book Pro 15"? Do I need to partition, etc? Any local MAC shop in the Portland Oregon area that is worthy of doing this or is it easy enough to tackle DIY?

Long version for those of you really bored...
    My PC laptop is is an old 1.26 GHz 480 MB ram Averatec running Win XP with a 3 year old battery that is struggling to hold battery charge for any length time now, (10-20 minutes tops), its built in wifi doesn't communicate with our new WiFi so not able to download latest HP-T update, other tunes to use in compare, etc. (no idea why it wont communicate, have messed with the WiFi settings on both the laptop and WiFi broadcaster, it still communicates with StarBucks WiFi fine), figure its time to retire the old dog and move on. It has served me well in dialing in the 6.0LSx powered M3 and wifes 01 Burb, along with a few other LSx powered BMW tunes though it's probably time to retire it.

Fast forward, bought a 2012 MacBook Pro 15" new last summer, LOVE it, been using an older iMac for home use over the past 8 years or so, LOVE the idea of being able to us my MB-Pro 15" for my tuning needs, mainly cause my old laptop is old, its battery is done, would prefer to use only one machine for all my computing needs and I love the 6+ hours of battery life I've been experiencing with it, (bonus for those long driving tunes).

Thanks in advance,
    Paul
    Hi Paul, it would be pretty easy to setup your new MB Pro to run W7. Ive got a few copies I could sell you as well (hope that's allowed on here, if not admins please delete! And yes they're legal, leftover copies from other computer builds b/c someone is bound to ask).

Depends how you want to do it, there are 2 ways: normal boot or virtual machine.

1. A normal boot would require you to partition your HDD to install Windows 7 then shutdown OS X and boot W7 to use HPT. It works, but especially if you're only using W7 for HPT, much better off going with option 2.

2. Run W7 as a VM using Parallels Desktop, VMWare Fusion, or VirtualBox (free). Really the only thing to be concerned with is how each handles USB drivers, Id have to check into it a little more. I know a lot of people have had great luck with Parallels Desktop and VMWare Fusion, Ive only installed VMWare Fusion for clients because that is what the rest of their office used. The benefit of using Parallels/VMWare is that the application (HPTuners) appears like a regular program on your OS X desktop so no shutting down and rebooting OSs. Just fire up HPTuners and it's there. VirtualBox is free, but you will have to spend some time setting it up and it's USB pass-through is flaky.

Hope that helps, Im up in Seattle and make it down to Portland a few times a year if you need a hand. Not sure what your time frame is though. Feel free to PM me too.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned

WOOO HOOO, Success, well mostly...
    Using Boot Camp set up Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit on my 2012 Mac Book Pro 15", downloaded the frame then downloaded and installed the MPVI drivers, connected to our '01 Suburban for a test run, opened up scanner, connected, hit record and Wa-La.... It works.... WOO HOO....

Opend up Editor while still connected, read the VCM, but it says I have to spend credits to edit this vehicle?! This is where I am not quite finished I guess. I already did spend 2 credits on this vehicle and have been tuning this vehicle with this interface for quite some time now. Pretty sure I entered the latest KEY I received from my last purchase of credits... Anything look out of the ordinary?

Also, noticed the bottom of the MBP is noticeably warmer while running in Winders 7 vs OSx indicating it is working harder and it does seem to be consuming battery at more aggressive rate OSx. Any tips/tricks/settings that can help reduce battery consumption for the MBP running Win 7 Ultimate while retaining decent HP-T performance?
    Last edited by BRAAPZ; 06-06-2013 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Typos, (lack of Spell check with fresh IE)

Up and running 100% on the Mac Book Pro withe Hp-Tuners.
    LOVE having the ability to use only one machine for all tasks, able to access files in either OS, (handle all my online interaction via OSx, HP-T in Win 7 Ultimate), and now my HP-t is on a MUCH more modern machine with AWESOME battery life, 3-7 hours now vs 20-90 mins of the old small screen XP machine. Like Christmas morning...