Thread: 05 corvette input/output speed problem

Tuner in Training

05 corvette input/output speed problem

The car is an 05 corvette ls2, 4l65e, procharged, built trans, converter and 4.10's.

The tune is canned from procharger with the exception of shift speeds and "t err" to 4.10. Speedo is correct and i have no codes for rpm mismatch.

Everything broke in nicely until did a 150+ highway run. The car shuddered hard, got a check engine light for "trans component slipping" and started to run hot.

Now the trans runs over 200 degrees all the time, the code comes on everytime I'm on the highway.

I datalogged with a genisys and found the tcc isn't holding. I can manually energize it, feel it lock and see input/output speeds vary with the throttle. I think the problem is hydraulic or mechanical tcc function.

I took it to the trans shop, he datalogged and said input/output is -250 constantly and blames the tune. He said the tcc is locking, the ecm is seeing the -250 and is backing the tcc off to make the converter slip in an effort to make the input/output speed 0.

I can't load the genisys datalog, but will make a scanner file as soon as i get the car back. Could somebody tell me if this tune is causing the problem?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ivmotorsports; 03-22-2011 at 09:29 PM.

Tuner in Training
    And another opinion, but I don't know if this will cause the slip and heat.

# It's set to lockup in 3rd gear as early as 50MPH under light throttle (25% TPS)
    # It looks like they tried to have it not come on in 3rd but they didn't change the values correctly
    # The upshift shift pressures have been bumped up a little bit in several places but nothing substantial
    # All the shift times are still stock
    # They've taken out most of the TM in the transmission
    # The TCC duty cycle is still stock so it's gonna be continually locking and unlocking all the time
    # The shift points are WAY off for both part throttle and WOT. I took a stock 2005 tune, changed the gear ratio to 4.10 (to let it do an auto recalculate of the shift points) and then compared it to their tune and they were nowhere close to each other so if they happen to be having any rev-limiter problems that'd likely be the reason why

I'm a noob on this software, but the gearing calculator doesn't seem to work on this car. It shows lots of 1's where gear ratios should be. If I use the calculator the pulses/mile go to bad places and the speedo doesn't read right. I went through the tune repository and saw a couple other 05's with the same strategy that I used here.

Tuner in Training
    Mark this under FYI.

I went to the trans shop to pick up the car. He pulled a converter clutch off the bench and handed it to me. Its dinky. I had no idea they were so small.

So here's the skinny. GM's protocol for the tcc is lock up whenever possible as long as it doesn't affect drivability. I read these forums and see where most tuners neuter the tcc to the point of inactivity. I decided to do a hybrid version between GM's and what I see here in an effort to keep the trans cool. WOT still had tcc locked. After seeing the size of the clutch there is no way that would work. I neutered my tables according the gurus here and suprizingly enough my car is happy again. My skull has been lined with lead for years.